Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to "hack" your way to an upgrade on Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to "hack" your way to an upgrade on Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by BobRoss
I know someone who put SKY PRIORITY on their BP to get the shorter security lines. It seems fairly low risk, because presumably you'd save your unadulterated BP for security checkpoint and actual boarding.
I thought the TSA would put an initial on it when they match boarding pass to ID. GA's don't check that?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
I thought the TSA would put an initial on it when they match boarding pass to ID. GA's don't check that?
If someone is going through all this nonsense, what would stop them from forging the TSA initial? That's just another useless TSA gesture.

Also, I've often gotten a new seating assignment at the lounge, or SDC'ed to another flight and gotten a new BP once past security. The lack of initials on those new BP's never caused an issue. So, I don't think the GA's care at all.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
My dear Sheena:

Would you be so kind to do a favor for an old friend? Please rearrange Deltalina's schedule to coincide with my upcoming flight.

Thanks so much
Love and kisses

Bago'peanuts
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
GAs can print boarding passes. So can SC agents or kiosks inside the terminal. 90% of the time the BP I hand them isn't the one the smurf saw.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by javabytes
GAs can print boarding passes. So can SC agents or kiosks inside the terminal. 90% of the time the BP I hand them isn't the one the smurf saw.
Not to mention connecting itineraries have multiple boarding passes at issue, only one of which is initialed by TSA. I flew four segments on 12/31, only one of which had an initialed BP.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Pretty easy to change U to V with whiteout and a black pen. Easy way to get into the priority line and impress both your friends and the TSA agents.
...Except white-out doesn't work so well on ANOTHER PERSON'S computer screen.

Smurfs are easily fooled by forged documents (I even met one who thought the "P" at the top of a passport identity page was PART OF MY NAME...& scolded me that it didn't appear on my boarding pass.)

Not Popppa,

I logged into the person's Skymiles account (with their permission) to see the upgrade that occurred more that two months before their Medallion window on a sLUT fare. I know this because I noted the fare class of a segment within this itinerary that was NOT eligible for upgrade. I was so curious as to what happened that I had someone look "behind the curtain" for me. (Again, authorized based on our business relationship). It happened & I know HOW it happened...but I wouldn't DARE post that part of the story here.

All of the FT "doubting Thomases" go back in your caves: I declare unequivocally that I've seen a Medallion upgrade take place FAR in advance of ALL EUA windows for a passenger traveling on a discount coach ticket. (finger snap)

PPP
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by popppa
I declare unequivocally that I've seen a Medallion upgrade take place FAR in advance of ALL EUA windows for a passenger traveling on a discount coach ticket. (finger snap)
And you've posted as such on a public Internet forum that is monitored by Delta Airlines.

It would not be difficult for someone at Delta to search the system to find said upgrade and itinerary, especially given the input parameters you have provided.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
And you've posted as such on a public Internet forum that is monitored by Delta Airlines.

It would not be difficult for someone at Delta to search the system to find said upgrade and itinerary, especially given the input parameters you have provided.
What parameters? A range of fare classes & that an irregular upgrade occurred? No date, no city pair, no nothin'. Unless Professor Xavier became a redcoat when I wasn't looking it would be pretty difficult for Delta to discern specifics to the aforementioned event.

How many Medallion members are there again? How many active & ticketed itineraries are there right now.

If Delta could or even wanted to make a federal case based on what I have posted here then Shena would be a loooong dead & buried distant memory.

PPP
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat

Given what we've seen of DL's IT talents lately - not so sure.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by javabytes
Ahh, the things I learn here... You're right, of course. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:09 pm

How many Medallion members are there again?
Less than 900,000?

What parameters?
From what you posted:

-- Medallion member

-- original itinerary not eligible for upgrade (after looking on http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm, the only fare class that cannot be upgraded by a Medallion is "E"; all others are upgradeable by a Medallion)

-- upgraded to a "V" fare

-- upgraded more than 50 days in advance

Based on the information provided, this would be a fairly easy task for any seasoned DL data analyst.

In a nutshell, one would basically select all medallion member itineraries where the itinerary type is "E" and where the itinerary was upgraded and where the upgrade was "V" and where the start of the upgrade window date minus the upgrade date is >= 50 days.

This would not all be done in the same query, of course. One has to whittle the data away.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Jan 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: DM, HiltonHonors
The V0 was the amount of upgrades available to hand out, none, but the F1 were the seats in first still not claimed, 1. It is possible someone else was ahead of you on the gate upgrade stand-by list and she bypassed them to give it to you, but also just as concievable that someone with a fully refundable F class fare decided not to show up and it was now within the alloted time limit to release that seat to the stand-by list. Depending on the aircraft it may have also been a crew rest seat in first that the pilot said to go ahead and release. If the flight is short enough they don't need them but don't usually take the time to release them to the GA. This brings up another point to those who keep saying they"see" emty seats in first class. Many flights have a seat in first that is blocked out for crew rest. It is always a specific seat that has snap up curtains to go around the seat. They are not always used, but almost never given away on a trans-oceanic flight or trans-continental flight. Remember, these pilots can go from one long flight to another and I, for one, want my pilot to get any sleep he needs!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:44 pm

Stiiirike two!

Less than 900,000?

From what you posted:

-- Medallion member

-- original itinerary not eligible for upgrade (after looking on http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm, the only fare class that cannot be upgraded by a Medallion is "E"; all others are upgradeable by a Medallion)

-- upgraded to a "V" fare

-- upgraded more than 50 days in advance

Based on the information provided, this would be a fairly easy task for any seasoned DL data analyst.

In a nutshell, one would basically select all medallion member itineraries where the itinerary type is "E" and where the itinerary was upgraded and where the upgrade was "V" and where the start of the upgrade window date minus the upgrade date is >= 50 days.

This would not all be done in the same query, of course. One has to whittle the data away.
Swing & a miss

Sorry, but you are assuming facts not entered into evidence. Despite the presence of (circumstantial) motive, ...both means & opportunity are nowhere to be found.

While your effort is admirable, there is simply not enough information to "solve the equation". Even if there were, which there isn't, what terrible thing would Delta do with this information?

PPP
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: DELTA
Talking Bribe Your Way to FC

Originally Posted by Lenoreva
I'm doing some research for a story and I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a computer hacker hacking into Delta's systems and getting an upgrade for themselves. Assuming you had excellent hacking skills, is this even possible? And if possible, what's the likelihood of getting caught?
You can bribe your way into an UG... just hand over a box of Krispy Kreme's to the GA and your "In like Flynn"... although the GA will have to spend $$$ for a larger uniform if they're not careful...

-A
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:28 pm

While your effort is admirable, there is simply not enough information to "solve the equation".
Let's agree to disagree

Even if there were, which there isn't, what terrible thing would Delta do with this information?
I don't care what Delta would or would not do. My point was that you confirmed and posted that a Medallion was upgraded greater than 50 days with a non-upgradeable ticket, in a forum that Delta actively monitors.

They may not do anything, however, they could very well audit this moving forward now that they suspect people -- insiders -- are taking advantage of the system. Because, only someone with inside access could have made the change as you describe it.

Learning about an inside scoop sometimes means keeping it to yourself

Last edited by DelrayChris; Jan 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.