Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to "hack" your way to an upgrade on Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to "hack" your way to an upgrade on Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Hack an upgrade?

IF someone was going to go to the time and effort to hack Delta's computer system, the UPGRADE would be WAY down their list of priorities. If you are going to risk going to jail, you might as well make it worth it.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Where do hacked Upgrades fall on the priority gate list? Is it after GM on a Y and before FO on a Y?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
Considering that Deltamatic was developed when Nixon was President and originally ran on hardware which was developed in the Eisenhower area (the first IBM mainframes with transistors instead of vacum tubes), I seriously doubt that there is anyone still alive who would have the necessary skills. They died during Regan's reign.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
I did know someone (who was a very frequent traveler but new to Delta) who would use Adobe PDF Pro to change their boarding zone on their ticket for the better to ensure they had someplace for their luggage.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Only on FT would people ask about hacking into computers with the sole purpose of start a thermonuclear war stealing credit card numbers grab a free upgrade!

Mike
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by BobH
Sorry but this is a dumb question -- if some one were to hack into a computer system, he'd go for something more valuable than an upgrade.

Minimum would be a free ticket ....

Bob H
I agree. If I had the skills and didn't care for the jail time, I'd hack in for a fully paid FC tix, why go for the upgrade? Don't think I'd do it for myself either. Appearing at the airport with ID and sitting onto the exact seat that I hacked my way onto is asking to be caught.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by BobH
Sorry but this is a dumb question -- if some one were to hack into a computer system, he'd go for something more valuable than an upgrade.

Minimum would be a free ticket ....

Bob H
Actually, I would monkey with the catering inventory and make sure there were a few extra bags of Sunchips in the basket
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Actually, I would monkey with the catering inventory and make sure there were a few extra bags of Sunchips in the basket
Ha! I'll have to make sure to put that in my story!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Irregular Upgrade

I know of someone who was booked/re-booked DIRECTLY into "V" more than 50 days in advance...meaning that someone (probably an inside job) had/has the ability to force an upgrade FAR ahead of the normal Elite window.

Food for thought...

PPP

P.S. (I know what you're thinking...I called B.S. & I demanded proof... & I was shocked to see it with my own eyes)

3P
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
And a few more bottles of Woodford Reserve
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by Jump
I did know someone (who was a very frequent traveler but new to Delta) who would use Adobe PDF Pro to change their boarding zone on their ticket for the better to ensure they had someplace for their luggage.
Yeah, but that's pretty simple and can be done with pretty much any software if you save the boarding pass as a picture (JPG etc) including paint....

Originally Posted by Lenoreva
Ha! I'll have to make sure to put that in my story!
Include Woodford.... Include Woodford...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
And a few more bottles of Woodford Reserve
Boy, were we thinking in the same direction...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA - PP
Overall, since this is for a story, I'd think the easier approach would be to hack your way to super-secret mega-elite Triple Black Diamond Executive Key Holder.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steex
While certainly not hacking and not to get into F, I do recall that the old NW site for some time had each seat in the seat selection tool programmed as a distinct URL. This allowed people to manipulate the URL and access otherwise restricted seats (such as bulkhead, exit row, premium, etc.).
That is correct, although I don't think it would stick if you're were allowed in that seat in the first place. I did use this technique several times to score elite seats on KL when the NW agents couldn't access the KL system. The NW & KL systems worked fine together for making reservations, not so well when it came to selecting seats.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Moebius01
Once perhaps, but that was a long time ago.

Greetings, Professor Falken. Shall we play a game?

Last edited by DevilDog438; Jan 6, 2011 at 11:41 am Reason: sorry - could not resist!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.