Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Platinum folks: How often are you upgraded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum folks: How often are you upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Check my sig. I've used a few SWUs this year for domestic trips to guarantee an upgrade (eg SEA-ATL on a BE-equipped 763ER). I've also done a lot of international trips this year that weren't eligible.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I was at 100% until last week, when I failed to upgrade on two eligible legs.

I fly ex-NYC with a connection in ATL or DTW nearly every time.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Almost always.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
as a DM flying FLL LAX mon morning and redeye Thur back to FLL, I am at about 50-60%. Plenty of other DMs in the back too.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I'm at 100% for 2010 and I just turned Platinum earlier this month. However, being based out of PWM (with MHT as a distant 2nd) pretty much seals the UG deal.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I love you guys for knowing exactly how many flights you've taken and how many times you were upgraded. You are my kind of people.

I've been flying like crazy for work for years and they never use to give me a choice of carrier--they'd just book me on whatever airlines they had better deals with at the time. I never complained because sometimes (maybe 25% of the time) I'd get put in first class because I had to get somewhere on short notice and there were no other seats.

But then I looked at how I had racked up 100,000 miles on five different airlines since 2005 yet didn't have status on ANY of them and decided I needed to be a little bit of a diva and just choose one airline. Turns out my company doesn't care and this is what all the highers-ups do anyway (I was 22 when I started and very shy about expenses).

ANYWAY. I decided to only fly Delta in July. I hit Silver in September, Gold last month, and I'll hit Platinum next week. It seems like I'm always 25th out of 36 (or something) on those LA to ATL flights. I did get upgraded once from Dayton to ATL as a Silver (which was short, but exciting because I wasn't expecting it.) So I'd say I was 1/10 on Silver and 0/4 on gold.

Hoping my Platinum luck is better.

Pardon my newbiness but what is IPROPS?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Been There Before
I'm at 100% this year. Last year I only missed two. Putting aside the SWU's which I've used for TATL travel, I was upgraded at the 6 day window all but three times, and didn't have to play the gate lottery at all.

Here are some suggestions to improve your upgrade percentage:

1. If possible stay out of Atlanta, you have better UG chances at MSP, CVG and SLC.

2. Try to pick 757 aircraft as much as possible, occasionally going to ATL via 757 and connecting for another 757 (you may end up with a two-three hour layover in the SC, which frankly can be relaxing and allow you to get some work done).

3. Fly early or late. I often try to grab 6 am, or 8 pm flights. Try not to fly at peak times 7-9 am or 4-6 pm.

4. Stay away from Thursday, Friday, Sunday or Monday. That is when most business travel occurs. Tuesday and Wednesday are best and Saturday's are mostly leisure travelers. Even when I am on business, I will ocassionally choose an early morning Saturday flight than battle Friday afternoons at the airport.

5. If you are flying over 1500 miles, buy a K fare and ug with 12.5K. As a PM, you will earn about 200,000 miles per year. Giving back 70-80K is no big deal. If you have AMEX, you will earn even more. By way of example, if I buy a K fare for say $250, and fly 2000 miles on the trip, I will earn 4500 miles, thus the UG only costs me 8000 miles. This is best saved for holiday weeks, Friday, Sunday and Monday travel.

6. SDC.

7. For holiday travel, look for A fares, which occasionally can be found for less than an M fare. (I didn't purchase any this year).

8. Learn the routes that are light on Medallions. For example, PBI is very Medallion heavy, as DL operates the largest schedule there. Wealthy Palm Beachers often pay First, so on peak days, there are very few seats available. FLL on the other hand is a larger airport with much more competition and therefore has fewer Medallions per available seat than PBI.
I copied and pasted this into gmail so I can review it for all-time.

Thank you. :-::-::-::-::-:
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Last week I flew MCO to ATL, ATL to SNA as a Gold and wound up in the bulkhead aisle with more leg room than First Class. (But fewer drinks, obvi). There was a platinum dude next to me and a diamond dude next to him. Platinum guy was full of rage toward the flight attendants, who appeased him by bringing him free drinks. Diamond dude would look at me whenever Platinum guy went to the bathroom and say "Ugh. What's his deal?!" Obviously diamond guy was annoyed to be in coach but he made the best of it. We had free wifi and nice flight attendants and the plane was early.

I guess it's all about attitude.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:14 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MK22
I know there has been a lot of, um, mixed feelings about how diluted the FF program has become but I am excited about the idea of going from Silver to Platinum next year. I travel a lot out of LA for work (domestic only) and I'm wondering how often upgrades happen for my fellow platinum party people. I know it's a privilege I shouldn't expect, but can I hope?

What percentage of the time would you say you get the happy email? And do you anticipate it being the same next year?

I missed 3 upgrades this year out of 64 segments. I managed to only be on a RJ once. So technically 4.

However out of LAX you are in a whole other boat.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Pardon my newbiness but what is IPROPS?
IRROPS - Irregular Operations - weather (WX), maintenance (MX), etc
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta PM/MM
I copied and pasted this into gmail so I can review it for all-time.

Thank you. :-::-::-::-::-:
No problem. Flying in/out of LA will be a little tougher for you to retain a high UG% than for me. Delta has substantial operations between JFK/LGA and thus I have both direct and non-stop choices to almost every destination domestically. Even with substantial operations, NYC isn't that medallion heavy.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: DL FO, SPG Gold, HH Gold
On flights where I flew by myself, I was definitely around 80% -- even having to connect through ATL. Stayed away from peak times, though.

On flights where I flew with my hubby, who's a tier down, percentage was more like 30%. Employed some SWUs to help there, but there was a marked improvement going from GM to PM.

And on the 10 or so flights where I flew from west coast to east coast, I can say I received 1 upgrade all year. From LAX to ATL in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon. Otherwise, the LAX flights to ATL, FLL, pretty much anywhere east seemed to be jam packed with elites. If that's what you're looking for, you may need to employ some SWUs to make sure.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Just counted - 10 UGs on 27 flights since Oct 1. UGs seem to be getting tougher to get.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond
I know there has been a lot of, um, mixed feelings about how diluted the FF program has become but I am excited about the idea of going from Silver to Platinum next year. I travel a lot out of LA for work (domestic only) and I'm wondering how often upgrades happen for my fellow platinum party people. I know it's a privilege I shouldn't expect, but can I hope?

What percentage of the time would you say you get the happy email? And do you anticipate it being the same next year?

So far in 2010:

DOMESTIC: 4 out of 5 segments (all complimentary)
INTERNATIONAL: 6 out of 9 segments (all using SWUs)
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
I think the general theme is location, location, location. I am in RDU and with the 2x MQM promotion that DL has had for the last six months, the level of elites has sky rocketed. Last year as a FO and a GM I was upgraded about 65-75% of the time. This year since the promo, my upgrades are half that. Often I will get upgraded for my connection out of ATL, MSP, & DTW but will either clear at the gate or not at all out of or into RDU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.