Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by RealHJ
As long as it's a legal MCT and bookable, you are safe to book it. As with all airlines, operating carrier is responsible to rebook you if an incoming flight is late and thus you miss the connection.
On a separate and related note, KE called me today because I booked a SEA-ICN-CTS itinerary as an award booking through DL (both legs on KE, with a 55m connection time) and KE initiated a schedule change today on the SEA-ICN flight, which left me with an illegal 35m connection time.

KE called me and told me to talk to Delta to get them to rebook me (I assume because the itinerary doesn't happen for another 6 months).

Delta rebooked me on their own flight SEA-ICN (which I would've preferred anyways). Manual international reissue desk had to get involved as the DL SEA-ICN didn't have low-level award space and they forced open low-level award space to get me on the DL flight.

Technically saved me 65,000 miles (DL wanted 145k for the itinerary with flight on its own metal, KE was 80K).

Hurray schedule changes!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bj27
On a separate and related note, KE called me today because I booked a SEA-ICN-CTS itinerary as an award booking through DL (both legs on KE, with a 55m connection time) and KE initiated a schedule change today on the SEA-ICN flight, which left me with an illegal 35m connection time.

KE called me and told me to talk to Delta to get them to rebook me (I assume because the itinerary doesn't happen for another 6 months).

Delta rebooked me on their own flight SEA-ICN (which I would've preferred anyways). Manual international reissue desk had to get involved as the DL SEA-ICN didn't have low-level award space and they forced open low-level award space to get me on the DL flight.

Technically saved me 65,000 miles (DL wanted 145k for the itinerary with flight on its own metal, KE was 80K).

Hurray schedule changes!
At least on DL SEA-ICN you won't be sweating like you would on KE SEA-ICN, given the sauna-like (almost) temperature of KE planes.

As another data point, I've had some KE flight cancellations. DL TYO res called me and were able to get KE to open up space on alternate flights that had no award availability (took a day). So, it is possible to get KE to open up award space - DL can get them to do so, in certain situations.. Just try to get through to DL TYO res for that, they seem much more competent than the US call centers on this. Good to know!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by RealHJ
At least on DL SEA-ICN you won't be sweating like you would on KE SEA-ICN, given the sauna-like (almost) temperature of KE planes.

As another data point, I've had some KE flight cancellations. DL TYO res called me and were able to get KE to open up space on alternate flights that had no award availability (took a day). So, it is possible to get KE to open up award space - DL can get them to do so, in certain situations.. Just try to get through to DL TYO res for that, they seem much more competent than the US call centers on this. Good to know!
Ha. I was bummed that I wouldn't get to try KE J long-haul, but then realized I have another trip with them in December anyways. I think I would prefer DL's 1-2-1 staggered arrangement versus the KE 2-2-2 arrangement anyways. Granted DL flies a 767 and KE a 777 on SEA-ICN, but I do like having a window and aisle to myself
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bj27
Ha. I was bummed that I wouldn't get to try KE J long-haul, but then realized I have another trip with them in December anyways. I think I would prefer DL's 1-2-1 staggered arrangement versus the KE 2-2-2 arrangement anyways. Granted DL flies a 767 and KE a 777 on SEA-ICN, but I do like having a window and aisle to myself
FYI, KE 777s 2-2-2 is very spacious - much more so than DL 767s 1-2-1, that are narrow and have semi coffin-like effect when in the sleeping position. None of that on KE.

But, for a window seat DL is far better, as only on DL can you have window and direct aisle access. For aisle with no window, heover, KE the middle column of 2-2-2 is the best, as it's more spacious, bigger IFE screen, etc... just need to dress VERY lightly, as you will be all dripping with sweat on KE, guaranteed.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Very frustrated on the search. Trying to do JFK-SEA on a few different weekends in October. The outbound is no problem but the Sunday return has ZERO L, U,T,X,V seats available even though the seating chart is showing .....2..yes 2 booked seats. At what point does DL release these seat buckets?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta
My latest experience using the companion certificate went very well. After spending time researching costs on Delta website, I utilized the Delta Promotions Desk 855-551-2113. Decided to attempt first class ATL-SFO round trip and asked if they still allowed this in class A & I with the Delta AmEx Reserve card. Very helpful employee assisted me in being able to fly 1st class round trip a total for(2) $1168. To me this was well worth the certificate. If you have some flexibility you can get more than your moneys worth with this certificate IMHO.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
So I just booked a trip PWM-LAS with my Reserve cert. It's not the end of the world but something isn't adding up. I'm fine with the price I paid but check this out from the receipt:

Air Transportation Charges

Base Fare: $870.23 USD

Taxes, Fees and Charges

United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY) $11.20 USD
United States - Transportation Tax (US) $65.27 USD
United States - Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $18.00 USD
United States - Flight Segment Tax (ZP) $20.50 USD

Total For JayTeaBee $985.20 USD

Total (2 Passengers) $1,099.40 USD

I didn't really notice this when I purchased the tickets but the total for me is 985.20 and the total for 2 passengers is 1099.40. What am I missing? Did I somehow pay >$100 for my companion ticket? I just confirmed on Amex I was charged in two seperate transactions, one for the 985.20 and one for 114.20. Does that seem odd to anyone?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:35 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Although I have been a DL AMEX Reserve Holder I have never used my Companion Cert for a FC ticket because it is just always too damn expensive.

However, I used it to book PHX-MSP-MKE and back over July 4th weekend to go see Pink in concert in FC for about $800.

No issues and lots of flight selections available for that price.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:36 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
So I just booked a trip PWM-LAS with my Reserve cert. It's not the end of the world but something isn't adding up. I'm fine with the price I paid but check this out from the receipt:

Air Transportation Charges

Base Fare: $870.23 USD

Taxes, Fees and Charges

United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY) $11.20 USD
United States - Transportation Tax (US) $65.27 USD
United States - Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $18.00 USD
United States - Flight Segment Tax (ZP) $20.50 USD

Total For JayTeaBee $985.20 USD

Total (2 Passengers) $1,099.40 USD

I didn't really notice this when I purchased the tickets but the total for me is 985.20 and the total for 2 passengers is 1099.40. What am I missing? Did I somehow pay >$100 for my companion ticket? I just confirmed on Amex I was charged in two seperate transactions, one for the 985.20 and one for 114.20. Does that seem odd to anyone?
Same for me last week.

It looks like you have to pay the taxes and stuff on the companion.

I, too, thought that was weird that it was two separate charges.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It sounds like they're overcharging on the taxes. It should just be the security, segment, and facility charges for around $49... not the tax on the ticket price since that is zero.

I also went to do a dummy booking with my companion cert and am seeing that bogus $40 charge showing up for 'companion passenger price' which should not be there at all.

Last edited by rylan; Mar 9, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by 355F1
It looks like you have to pay the taxes and stuff on the companion.
Weird, the total of all those taxes are 114.97 yet my seprate charge was 114.20.

Originally Posted by rylan
It sounds like they're overcharging on the taxes. It should just be the security, segment, and facility charges for around $49... not the tax on the ticket price since that is zero.

I also went to do a dummy booking with my companion cert and am seeing that bogus $40 charge showing up for 'companion passenger price' which should not be there at all.
Hmm, I must have overlooked that. I was probably drooling over the MQM's too much to notice. Hah. Sounds like I should call in and ask some questions.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Playsmart
Very frustrated on the search. Trying to do JFK-SEA on a few different weekends in October. The outbound is no problem but the Sunday return has ZERO L, U,T,X,V seats available even though the seating chart is showing .....2..yes 2 booked seats. At what point does DL release these seat buckets?
There is no particular point that DL releases anything. They will wait until they have to sell something cheaper. I would just keep checking. It's over 6 months away and I would bet that something would become available.

Remember, the seating chart doesn't necessarily show all booked seats.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Duplicate

Last edited by miraclebear2003; Mar 9, 2017 at 10:41 am Reason: duplicate
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
There is no particular point that DL releases anything. They will wait until they have to sell something cheaper. I would just keep checking. It's over 6 months away and I would bet that something would become available.

Remember, the seating chart doesn't necessarily show all booked seats.

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Recently successful on ATL-MSY with a Plat certificate - no issues and got the exact flights I wanted, times and all. Price was the same as if just booking a single ticket without the cert (~$300 RT, plus $20-something for companion taxes).

Also used a Reserve cert for ATL-PHX a while ago. IIRC ~$800 for both tickets. Got the days we wanted but had to take a return a couple hours earlier than we'd have liked...no big deal. Alternative was a 1-stop that got back home too late.

Originally Posted by 355F1
I, too, thought that was weird that it was two separate charges.
The separate charges is consistent with anytime you buy multiple tickets on a PNR. Each passenger/ticket is charged separately to your CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.