Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by dagolfdoc
. Is Expert Flyer worth a look?
In this instance, Expert Flyer is worthless. Since you're doing this the day of, your best bet is to just look at the seat maps for the flights you want to possibly switch to in order to see which ones still have seats available.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Vuelos
I sat in Y ATL-MCO last weekend as a DM.
WHAT?! Do They Know Who You Are?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
knock on wood, as DM, I have been U/G on MCO-ATL and v/v at 100% ...

But, like you I realize that most flights from MCO are variable... A lot of people think MCO is easy, but I have seen huge U/G lists both to and from...

What time was your flight last weekend? Day of week?
Same here, already got UG's for flt out tomorrow and return next week. But it sure wasn't that way as a PM. Moreover, most of these flts are full even though they go out nearly every hour in both directions.

If the travel between ATL and MCO was ever an 'easy upgrade', I don't remember it and it sure isn't now. If I had to guess, I would say ATL-MCO is a more difficult UG than MCO-ATL but both can be really tough.

Maybe too many Diamonds now?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
Thursday 8:30pm MCO ATL has had empty seats in F the last three weeks

for what that's worth.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Contradancer
for what that's worth.
quite understandable as connection options for that flight are quite limited.

I never take the 7:30 PM or later as the 7:30 typically encounters an ATC delay YMMV, and the 8:30 is just a bit late to make connections.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Same here, already got UG's for flt out tomorrow and return next week. But it sure wasn't that way as a PM. Moreover, most of these flts are full even though they go out nearly every hour in both directions.

If the travel between ATL and MCO was ever an 'easy upgrade', I don't remember it and it sure isn't now. If I had to guess, I would say ATL-MCO is a more difficult UG than MCO-ATL but both can be really tough.

Maybe too many Diamonds now?
The days that I fly seem to be well stocked with DM's. Sunday/Thurs-Fri. Early Sunday is usually not as bad, mid day and later seems to increase the numbers on the U/G lists.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:21 am
Suspended

Upgrades

I'm an FO (going gold over the next 3 weeks), and have an upcoming trips from ATL-MCO, and another ATL-ELP I have flexibility in the time that I leave during the day & the time I return. I'm new to the forum (love it!) and new to this much travel - my question, is there a way to schedule flights to optimize my chance for an UG? Certain aircraft? Times? I know FO's don't get UG often, but if there's a way to increase my chances, I'm happy to do it.

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I'd like to figure out the formula so as I travel in the future, I can book flights with my best chance to UG.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Friends: Remember that the best way to get a F seat is to purchase one.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Friends: Remember that the best way to get a F seat is to purchase one.
While you are correct, this is a website that focuses on getting the most from travel, be it miles/points or perks/upgrades. Not everyone has a budget or company that allows them to buy J/F. Therefore it is free game for people who play by the rules to seek out the best possible chances of winning the elusive u/g prize.

I hear this arguement on here all the time.... While some discussions feature posters who feel they deserve to be u/g on every trip and whom throw a tantrem and complain to DL. When they don't.... I don't think that is the majority.

Good for those who are able to buy their F/J seats. DL loves you!!! For the rest of us, we will play the strategy game..... Not everyone who is seeking a comp u/g feels entitled. Granted some do...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
chances of an upgrade for a GM on DL17 (777)

I understand the new lie-flat beds are in use on DL17 on 12 Feb 2011 (edited from Mar!)

I was considering using that segment as part of an upcoming MR to LAX.

As a GM, what do people think - is there any realistic possibility of my getting upgrade on an ATL-LAX segment mid-afternoon Saturday or should I select the more suitable (for me) routing instead and ignore the chance of the lie-flat?

Many thanks for any suggestions or contributions from personal experience of the flight.

Last edited by catharsis; Jan 27, 2011 at 5:37 pm Reason: modified date frmo Mar 12 to Feb 12
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
It's a Saturday so biz travelers are minimal and stranger things have happened before. Why not, go for it. ^
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
If another flight fits your schedule better, skip the 777.....that plane is targeted by elites, so your chances may be slim (even on Saturday).

I flew LAX-ATL on the LR last year using a SWU. Comfortable seats, but if you've never flown at an angle before, don't try it with a hangover or significant buzz (at least I won't recommend it).

Then again, it may be worth a shot if you are wanting to experience the LR lie-flat's for the first time. And besides, even if your don't get the upgrade, you'll still have a comfy international Y seat.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL DM (.00123 MM), UA 1P, Marriott PLT, HI GLD, SW PLT
Are you sure the ATL-LAX segment is being serviced by the 777. Expertflyer and DL shows a 763 on the ATL-LAX leg and a 77L on LAX-SYD.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
For some time now the 777 run has been through DTW to LAX and then on to SYD. When it started, it did start in ATL then LAX then SYD and return the same, but that changed a while a go.

Personally, unless you are on the LAX - SYD portion where a flat bed is a MUST, I would avoid it domestically. Not really that comfortable for a five hour flight. Yes, it is a flat bed and you can sleep, BUT they do not provide the bigger pillows and thick comforter from the international varient. Service is no different domestically from the 777 to any other aircraft (IMHO).

Also, no satelite tv or internet on the 777.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM
I'm an FO (going gold over the next 3 weeks), and have an upcoming trips from ATL-MCO, and another ATL-ELP I have flexibility in the time that I leave during the day & the time I return. .
I flew ATL-MCO on 1/12 and was upgraded in advance as a gold medallion. It was a Wednesday afternoon flight, so not nearly as tough as a Monday morning or Friday afternoon flight.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:09 am

I would say yes, go for the 77L, but don't get your hopes up for an upgrade. As noted, the plane is target by elites for that reason. It's always slam full when I am on it.

EDIT: Also, it's DL 1754 heading east that's the 77L. Not DL 17 west.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.