Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Any Chance of Upgrade for FO Here?

We are traveling to PVR on Saturday...I'm on a paid ticket and have been upgraded. Wife is FO on an award ticket, not eligible for upgrade. F is still pretty much wide open. If there are more seats than upgrade requests at the gate on Saturday, I was considering asking the GA if there was any chance of getting her upgraded...

I know op-ups are are possibility if Y is overbooked, but it doesn't look like it today. I was hoping that the GA might sympathize with FOs who have been excluded from several benefits like upgrades on award tickets and pay-with-miles tickets, assuming that there is a seat which would otherwise go empty.

Probably a real long shot. Is it worth asking, or is there just no chance?

Of course if she can't be upgraded, I'll be the one riding in the back
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
You know the answer.

Enjoy coach.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
oh man! Why did you book the wife on miles? As a PM, you would have gotten the ug and the wife would have received the FO revenue upgrade PVR is an _easy_ flight to upgrade on...

Hope for the best and ask nicely. you never know.

though, [b]vuelos[/b[ does have a point...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
oh man! Why did you book the wife on miles? As a PM, you would have gotten the ug and the wife would have received the FO revenue upgrade PVR is an _easy_ flight to upgrade on...

Hope for the best and ask nicely. you never know.

though, [b]vuelos[/b[ does have a point...
I needed the miles for me to requalify for PM. It's always a nail biter towards the end of the year.

Riding in back isn't the end of the world! I was just hoping. Best situation would be an op-up, but most people going to a vacation destination like PVR will already be ticketed. So if the flight isn't overbooked by now, it probably won't be. We both did get an op-up on ATL-PVR once. I was FO and she had no status.

I will go on this trip with no expectations!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Vuelos
You know the answer.

Enjoy coach.
^
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:38 pm

ATL-MCO Upgrade chances?

I'm an FO (going gold over the next 3 weeks), and have an upcoming trips from ATL-MCO, and another ATL-ELP I have flexibility in the time that I leave during the day & the time I return. I'm new to the forum (love it!) and new to this much travel - my question, is there a way to schedule flights to optimize my chance for an UG? Certain aircraft? Times? I know FO's don't get UG often, but if there's a way to increase my chances, I'm happy to do it.

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I'd like to figure out the formula so as I travel in the future, I can book flights with my best chance to UG.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Really ATL-MCO is a pretty easy UG route. All the aircraft are the same (757) with the occasional Transcon bird (26F) and ex NWA bird (22F) thrown in the mix. At that point, it comes down to the time and they run every hour. I find this route to be pretty easy to get F even as a non-rev if you plan the days right. My advice would be don't take the first three flights out and avoid Mondays. On the reverse the first one is at 530 so that one is usually empty in the back and usually leaves with open seats in F. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter as chances are pretty good.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Since last year, 1/4 as FO on ATL-MCO; 2/2 as GM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Last year as a Gold Medallion was over 90% for upgrades ATL/MCO.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:58 pm

I'm on the 3:55 tomorrow & currently 13/18 on the list. Is it worth looking into a different flight? If so, what's the best way to find the flight with the best chance of UG?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:50 pm

Not sure about it being "easy". I flew it last week, and the upgrade lists were 50 people long. DM's and PM's were upgraded - but everybody else seemed to be either a FO or GM. All of the flights from ATL-MCO were sold out for the day as well, making it even more difficult.

I'd say at this point, just accept that you probably *wont* get the upgrade (you can mess around with trying to SDC for $50 for another flight, but its not worth it - especially for a flight that lasts only an hour from take off to landing).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dagolfdoc
I'm on the 3:55 tomorrow & currently 13/18 on the list. Is it worth looking into a different flight? If so, what's the best way to find the flight with the best chance of UG?
Those flts go out nearly every hour so UG chances are decent. But far from great. They fill more than most realize.

Funny, I was on the 3:55 a couple months ago and wanted to SDC to an earlier flt. All of them were full but got a standby seat on something like the 2 pm flt. Cost me my UG but whatever.

Point is, the 3:55 is a difficult flt to UG. The earlier ones may be no better but at least you are mid-week. Best chance might be maybe around 11 am or so. Best way to know is pick up a subscription to Expert Flyer.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info - very helpful. Good point about it not being worth it for a short flight. I appreciate the help - still new to a lot of this, & just trying to learn the ins & outs of everything. Is Expert Flyer worth a look?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
I sat in Y ATL-MCO last weekend as a DM. There were 3 at the gate upgrades (DM's also) and 35 left on the list.

MCO was an easy upgrade for a while but it's extremely variable...

For my trip Friday, I haven't been upgraded on MCO-ATL yet.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Vuelos
I sat in Y ATL-MCO last weekend as a DM. There were 3 at the gate upgrades (DM's also) and 35 left on the list.

MCO was an easy upgrade for a while but it's extremely variable...

For my trip Friday, I haven't been upgraded on MCO-ATL yet.
knock on wood, as DM, I have been U/G on MCO-ATL and v/v at 100% ...

But, like you I realize that most flights from MCO are variable... A lot of people think MCO is easy, but I have seen huge U/G lists both to and from...

What time was your flight last weekend? Day of week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.