Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: All of the above
Returned last night from Playa del Carmen.BOS-ATL-CUN. I am gold and was upgraded on all four legs 4 days out and my husband (no status) was upgraded on three. missed the ATL-BOS. Last year as silver 4/4 BOS-ATL-PVR
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
My non-status wife and I (GM) did not get upgraded on a recent Saturday am MSP-SJD flight, but did get upgraded at the 3 day window on the SJD-SLC portion of our return. That was a Thursday afternoon flight. FC cabin was full, coach was only half full.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Just got the email that I was upgraded on MEX-MSP (the return portion) as well, at the 5-day window--on a (low) reward ticket.
The MSP-MEX route just started so I wouldn't use it as a great example right now. It has been going out with empty seats up front everyday and even on the A319 is seeing horrendous load factors (IIRC 30-40%). I know a couple weekends ago it went out with 14 passengers down and 25 coming back. Even as an FO or non-rev you have close to a 100% chance at an upgrade on this route. But, it is new so only time will tell.

Back to the OPs question, generally speaking Mexico is really easy for upgrades....typically even for FOs. However, of all the markets SJD is the toughest because it seems to generate a lot more paying F passengers than the others. As a PM traveling in the summer I would say that you have a very very good chance at an upgrade as well as your GM wife since it is the low season.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:38 pm

what are the chances of a FO being upgraded this thurs (3/10/11) from LAS-JFK

I just got an email saying i was upgraded on my SNA-LAS FLIGHT, but not flight 322

it is a T fare booked about a month ago
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cludden

I just got an email saying i was upgraded on my SNA-LAS FLIGHT, but not flight 322

FO, T fare, going to JFK on a Thursday...

I'd say unlikely.

But you never know!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cludden

The five LAS-JFK nonstops for 3/10 currently are J6, J5, C7, C6, C5.

If there have already been some UGs doled out at the 5-3-1 deadline, maybe you have a shot. Otherwise, as an FO on a T, I think you’re in the back.

Good luck.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, National Executive-Selection
Upgrade Chances: Red-eye SEA->DTW as FO?

Searched for the answer to this question but couldn't quite find this exact scenario.

Considering doing the SEA->DTW red eye this Friday (11:35pm). Scheduled aircraft is a 757. What are my chances of an upgrade if I am a FO?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Try Expertflyer.com

It is V3 right now. Assuming it stays that way all higher Medallions have cleared, its a possibility.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
F is 6, V is half of that. As I DM and former NW P I have not missed an upgrade from SEA to DTW. But I have not flown the route since monetization. And as a DM I still have not cleared SEA JFK for this Monday (one day into my window). A first for me. J is 7, however, X is 0.

In reality, as a FO on a hub route you will have a hard time.

Best of luck though!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM

In reality, as a FO on a hub route you will have a hard time.

Best of luck though!
Getting an UG out of SEA is usually challenging...but you may have a chance with this flight. They are monetizing the flight (offering P for $49 more than the B fare they are offering now). I hope you get your UG!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:47 am

I'm looking to fly JFK to MSP and trying to maximize my chances for an UG. I am DL GM, and was wondering what you guys think it's better.

JFK-DTW-MSP CRJ9 & 752 (no meal) DL 3182 & DL1055

or

JFK-BOS-MSP CRJ7 & B737 (dinner) DL 6399 & DL 766

I would go with DTW just because there's a ton more seats in F but there's no meal, while BOS would be less seats, but wouldn't BOS-MSP be less elite heavy anyway?

btw it's on a Thursday afternoon (May 12th) so i know my chances are even smaller, but just trying to maximize them here!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:04 pm

Are upgrade chances on DL2040 (SFO-JFK 3:30PM) on Sunday (4/3) better than the earlier flights on Sunday? I'm thinking this may be the case because of the late arrival and weekend, but wonder if anyone has personal experience (this is my first time flying this route). I'm a GM, J9 a week out (looks like 11 seats open in seat map).
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by GrizNation
I'm looking to fly JFK to MSP and trying to maximize my chances for an UG. I am DL GM, and was wondering what you guys think it's better.

JFK-DTW-MSP CRJ9 & 752 (no meal) DL 3182 & DL1055

or

JFK-BOS-MSP CRJ7 & B737 (dinner) DL 6399 & DL 766

I would go with DTW just because there's a ton more seats in F but there's no meal, while BOS would be less seats, but wouldn't BOS-MSP be less elite heavy anyway?

btw it's on a Thursday afternoon (May 12th) so i know my chances are even smaller, but just trying to maximize them here!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion
I don't remember who it is, but someone was reporting that BOS-MSP flights (and/or the reverse? sorry ) was actually very challenging to get an upgrade on. I seem to recall Thursday nights being particularly difficult.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:50 pm

that's what I read recently as well...might as well just try DTW then, even if theres no meal! thanks a lot!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL
Wondering about my chances on DL 165 this Wed at 3pm. Im a PM on a T fare. If I don't get it I think it might be worth while SDCing to the 5pm flight. That one looks more open up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.