Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Dude...don't do it....don't do it!
I personally think its interesting that they did that. I would imagine DL gave them an OK to do that. A truck that is tarmac-based had to haul the grill in, and DL would've spotted that..
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Dovster
What is the general rule about having fires on the field?
It really just depends on the airport. I've been to airports where you could smoke 20 feet from the plane and others where it's not allowed at all. Same thing with grilling.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
I'd like to thank you and everyone responsible for this BBQ for demonstrating just how assine and pointless the TSA screening is.

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Geez...what a turn for the worst this thread turned into. I can guarentee you that management OK'ed this cook-out and no aircraft delays were caused of this. Some of you need to lighten up and let us enjoy the little things in life!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I'd like to thank you and everyone responsible for this BBQ for demonstrating just how assine and pointless the TSA screening is.
Because of the rise in BBQ related airplane attacks?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
I bet there were a bunch of Southwest employees looking out the window thinking, "Geez, I gladly start charging for bags if we could do that"
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Maybe I missed something but how did you come up with that conclusion?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
After seeing this pic I have two wishes. One, that DL serve some of that BBQ in FC, especially this Weds on the DTW-HNL flight and two, the next time I fly thru ATL maybe they'll have one of those BBQ's out at like D38 when I have to walk on the tarmac. Maybe I could stop by for a quick rib lol....I think the whole thing is great.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Geez...what a turn for the worst this thread turned into. I can guarentee you that management OK'ed this cook-out and no aircraft delays were caused of this. Some of you need to lighten up and let us enjoy the little things in life!
+1 & GREAT BIG ^ to those folks. They deserve it.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Maybe I missed something but how did you come up with that conclusion?
At the bottom of the jetway stairs, we have a group of employees that have hauled in a large BBQ rig, fuel, and (I assume) typical BBQ tools - large oversized forks and knives.

At the top of the jetway stairs, we have passengers and crew that are herded through nude-scopes and metal detectors to make sure they are not carrying nail clippers.

How do we nominate the picture for a Pulitzer?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
Because of the rise in BBQ related airplane attacks?
LOL...I needed that this am!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:21 am

At the bottom of the jetway stairs, we have a group of employees that have hauled in a large BBQ rig, fuel, and (I assume) typical BBQ tools - large oversized forks and knives.

At the top of the jetway stairs, we have passengers and crew that are herded through nude-scopes and metal detectors to make sure they are not carrying nail clippers.

How do we nominate the picture for a Pulitzer?
I think you may be assuming a bit much as far as what's there from that picture. Don't know how much you BBQ, but as those are hamburgers, I think a spatula, rather than a collection of medieval swords would probably take care of that.

And fuel.........well.........I hate to tell you this but *DUN DUN DUNNNNNN* They already have access to plenty of fuel. Look I hate the TSA rigmarole as much as about anyone, but that is a reach.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
I think you may be assuming a bit much as far as what's there from that picture. Don't know how much you BBQ, but as those are hamburgers, I think a spatula, rather than a collection of medieval swords would probably take care of that.

And fuel.........well.........I hate to tell you this but *DUN DUN DUNNNNNN* They already have access to plenty of fuel. Look I hate the TSA rigmarole as much as about anyone, but that is a reach.
Even Manute Bol couldn't reach that far.^
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
My god people. You have both depth perception and reality problems. The only thing that *may* be under the jetbridge would be the table that has the gray tub. The grill is not close to being under the jetbridge.

I always joked with fellow FT lurkers that you guys complain about everything, but I was just joking. Now im not so sure....

Good for you guys in ATL having a cookout. Glad to see you guys get a little bit of recognition.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by N639DL
I personally think its interesting that they did that. I would imagine DL gave them an OK to do that. A truck that is tarmac-based had to haul the grill in, and DL would've spotted that..
Might even be DL's grill for these sorts of occasions.

This sort of thing may seem unusual for downtown office types, but if you're in a suburban office park, grilling in the parking lot is not at all strange from time to time.

Anyhow, presuming it was sanctioned and all safety procedures were taken into consideration (which I'm sure they were), I don't see a problem with it. They don't exactly have a parking lot or grassy area where they could do this sort of thing.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:45 am
Suspended

DL Cookouts

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Personally, I highly doubt that complies with local fire code, if the grill is actually underneath the jetway. Most local fire codes specify that grills must be used at a minimum distance from any overhanging physical structure, to minimize the risk of exposure-related fires.
Wonder if the DL ground staff involved will be grilled over this?
Me bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.