Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:51 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

In these days of 3-1-1 it is amazing that the ground crews have a HUGE bbq grill running right under a jetway at a major airport like ATL - Delta's HQ hub.

How did the grill get onto the airport? How long was the wood/charcoal coming up to temperature? How long was cooking taking place? Did nobody notice any of this?

Jet fuel. Cooking chickens with grease flare-ups. What part of this story doesn't fit?

PLEASE - use the TTU/whatever and notify Delta mgmt about this. Not for the skypoints. But to get some friggin sense beat into these morons who are way off the reservation.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: Any and all of 'em
Why are some of y'all so opposed to having a good time?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by Izzy24
Thank you ^

Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
In these days of 3-1-1 it is amazing that the ground crews have a HUGE bbq grill running right under a jetway at a major airport like ATL - Delta's HQ hub.

How did the grill get onto the airport? How long was the wood/charcoal coming up to temperature? How long was cooking taking place? Did nobody notice any of this?

Jet fuel. Cooking chickens with grease flare-ups. What part of this story doesn't fit?

PLEASE - use the TTU/whatever and notify Delta mgmt about this. Not for the skypoints. But to get some friggin sense beat into these morons who are way off the reservation.
Another reminder of the masochism that runs rampant with DL flyers
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Izzy24
Personally, as long as it is done with proper fire safety precautions in place, I could care less about the ground crew having a cookout during their workday.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by azj
Why is it hilarious that a bunch of employees had a BBQ? What if it was a going away party? A birthday party? A celebration for good performance sponsored by mgmt? The fact that some group of employees is actively preparing food for themselves seems so normal to me that I fail to see why it's hilarious. I mean, office parties happen all the time? What's the difference?
Because it is at an airport, where parties don't happen all the time. Not at an office, where parties do happen all the time. Probably one of the most serious, rule-oriented places that the public visits on a regular basis is an airport. It is just funny and cool to see people out having a BBQ on the ramp. I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles and have never seen a BBQ on the ramp at a major international airport. I personally think it is novel and fun, and I appreciated seeing the picture. A great change from all the complaining that goes on around here.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage
I don't see anything wrong with this cookout. I go to at least two BBQs a year hosted out on our flight school's ramp. There is nothing better then eating BBQ while watching Power-Off 180s by a Piper Arrow.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:58 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I am not against them having a good time, more power to them hell I wish I was invited.

But thats right under a Jetway. People walk through that, smoke is sure to get in.

But who cares if they are having a BBQ just do it in a safe way.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:51 am
fpm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Interstate BBQ
Oh, to work in Memphis again.

I'm flying to LAX later this week and plan to hit In & Out Burger.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
I think it is safe to assume they had permission for the grill. The average airport employee can't exactly drive their personal pickup truck onto the ramp and unload a grill. They even have safety cones around it. I wouldn't be surprised if the airport fire personnel where not only made aware of it and approved it, but were also invited to drop by for some. And given the angle of the picture, I think they are close but not actually under the jetway.

Good for them. Too bad they couldn't cater the planes this way. Now that would be an airplane dinner I would look forward to.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
New Caterer?

Well, that's one way to underbid Gate Gourmet...

Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
I find it funny because of the location and to be honest i've never had BBQ at work either but maybe that's just me?

Whatever, thumbs up, still can't believe they're able to do this!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm glad the ground crew had time to organize this, manage the logistics of bringing in a kettle grill, cooler full of chicken, and a seat.

I wish the ground crews demonstrated the same dedication to help setup an empty gate when a plane arrives early and the planned gate is occupied by a plane with mechanical trouble.

Seriously, everyone on this board has been stuck 30-45 minutes on the tarmac at ATL because there isn't an available gate ready...no one has a problem with ground staff AT WORK grilling while passengers are stuck on planes?

I don't know what is worse; the location of where these yahoos are grilling, or that 3/4 of the posts on this thread condone this behavior.

Last edited by pokeable; Jul 26, 2010 at 7:38 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by fpm
Oh, to work in Memphis again.

I'm flying to LAX later this week and plan to hit In & Out Burger.
I live in Malibu and park at "The Parking Spot" on Sepulveda RIGHT NEXT TO In & Out. Needless to say I arrive at the airport a bit early every week
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pokeable
I'm glad the ground crew had time to organize this, manage this logistics of bringing in a kettle grill, cooler full of chicken, and a seat.

I wish the ground crews demonstrated the same dedication to help setup an empty gate when a plane arrives early and the planned gate is occupied by a plane with mechanical trouble.

Seriously, everyone on this board has been stuck 30-45 minutes on the tarmac at ATL because there isn't an available gate ready...no one has a problem with ground staff AT WORK grilling while passengers are stuck on planes?

I don't know what is worse; the location of where these yahoos are grilling, or that 3/4 of the posts on this thread condone this behavior.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.