Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Hilton Atlanta Airport
1031 Virginia Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 30354
404-767-9000
The $79 sounds great, but I am wondering if/how they might give out 'semi-guaranteed' exec. floor access to Golds/Diamonds. I was able to secure the ATL airport Ren @ $71 and I stocked up on the 20% off GCs earlier in the year, hence there is a bit of tendency for me to go with the Ren. If the Hilton would foresee that the exec. floor could hold our entire group I'd go with the Hilton despite the higher price.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by socrates
true but even the 5% didnt' always make the fare acceptable...I have flown NWA to the CO do's in the past because of a large difference in fare (and a better chance at EUA)
Not always. I flew CO for CO DO IV. The key decision point in the past was the Delta-inpsired 50% qualifying miles for lower fare buckets, which both DL & CO have abandoned.

The major point of my post was the difference in handling the DOs -- cigarman took care of advanced registration, but once you arrived, CO took over all of the logistics (for 500+ people). They considered it an investment in their best customers and a business opportunity to convert new customers.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
The $79 sounds great, but I am wondering if/how they might give out 'semi-guaranteed' exec. floor access to Golds/Diamonds. I was able to secure the ATL airport Ren @ $71 and I stocked up on the 20% off GCs earlier in the year, hence there is a bit of tendency for me to go with the Ren. If the Hilton would foresee that the exec. floor could hold our entire group I'd go with the Hilton despite the higher price.
A number of Marriott Brand options in the same price range. The Courtyard & Residence Inn are next to the Hilton. The Ren is a little south - but not walking distance. The old Marriott (cheapest) and the new Gateway Marriott are on the other side of the freeway. For those of us that are Marriott elite - maybe the Ren is best because of lounge access (mid week).
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cova
A number of Marriott Brand options in the same price range. The Courtyard & Residence Inn are next to the Hilton. The Ren is a little south - but not walking distance. The old Marriott (cheapest) and the new Gateway Marriott are on the other side of the freeway. For those of us that are Marriott elite - maybe the Ren is best because of lounge access (mid week).
yeah, plus I got the best rate for the Ren ... haven't tried to get the Marriott down. Does the Marriott have a lounge?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
yeah, plus I got the best rate for the Ren ... haven't tried to get the Marriott down. Does the Marriott have a lounge?
And the Ren literally overlooks the runway. Super cool.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
And the Ren literally overlooks the runway. Super cool.
Now you mean it is figuratively super cool, and not that the rooms are really cold, correct?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
But you'll get a whole 2% reduction on your paid fare!

Let's see, CO's reductions @ the CO DOs were 5% (more for paid F) and bookable on the web. Oh, yeah, they handled buses & registration, too ...
I'm going to say this simply and without making this into a personal attack but if you aren't happy about this event, don't come. Period. Full stop.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The old Marriott on Best Rd. has 1 concierge level - but it has been a while since I have been there - Their discount rates are down in the $74 range, with the new Gateway opening up the street. The new GateWay Marriott (closer to the event - but still on the other side of the freeway) doesn't open until August - but at a higher rate. The REN - not sure - older, next to runways, with a likely lounge.

The Hilton does look nice and it may be worth it for the weekend when the lounges are closed. Everyone at the Hilton - unless they have status (or know someone) will likely not be able to get in the lounge. The Courtyard and Res Inn are right next door - but looks like a fence separates so you would have to walk to the street before cutting through the Hilton parking lot. AAA rate with breakfast at Courtyard is $80. After all - this is flyertalk so everyone wants to maximize their benefits. But obviously the Hilton would be the most convenient. Need to see the schedule and see if their is even time to use a lounge on Wed/Thur - then decide.

----

Update: Checked some of the reviews the Courtyard and Res Inn and they are bad. Not stayed at either, but my overall experience with ATL hotels is that you need to be staying at one of the major brand Full Service hotels in the ATL airport area. Anything else is iffy.

The net is - Hilton is likely the best choice - since you do not need a car. The FS Marriott/gateway or REN would be good - but then you need a car.

Last edited by cova; Jun 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I'm going to say this simply and without making this into a personal attack but if you aren't happy about this event, don't come. Period. Full stop.
+1
It looks like once again DL is bending over backwards to make this a great event. If that isn't good enough, so be it.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
+1
It looks like once again DL is bending over backwards to make this a great event. If that isn't good enough, so be it.
I'll second that - it sounds like Canarsie, atldlff and the Delta team are really going all-out on the event this year.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I will third it.... Looking forward to this and am appreciative of all the efforts.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Biting my tongue.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:15 pm

Not intending to be divisive or rude but those of you from last year's pool session will remember that I don't mince my words but also can be relatively effective in my communication.

Delta is providing what looks to be shaping up like another great event and I don't really like biting the hand that entertains me.

Looking forward to seeing y'all again hopefully I can be there Thursday. Negotiating for that day off at the moment.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:53 pm

Not intending to be divisive or rude but those of you from last year's pool session will remember that I don't mince my words but also can be relatively effective in my communication.

Delta is providing what looks to be shaping up like another great event and I don't really like biting the hand that entertains me.

Looking forward to seeing y'all again hopefully I can be there Thursday. Negotiating for that day off at the moment.
I'll be down in ATL during this time and will attend this event when registration becomes official, so feel free to add me to the unofficial list for now.

Looking forward to meeting some people from the DL board in real life as well.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Originally Posted by Stripe
No "Low" coach awards available from AUS.
But you'll get a whole 2% reduction on your paid fare!

Let's see, CO's reductions @ the CO DOs were 5% (more for paid F) and bookable on the web. Oh, yeah, they handled buses & registration, too ...
Having attended both CO & DL events (> 1 of each), I'll call them & discuss them as I see them. I'd suggest you review the FlyerTalk TOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.