Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mersk862
I showed this picture to our purser today on the -9 over to MHT. She was cracking up (as she's been reading this thread).

Hi to Tracy from the DTW-MHT flight tonight!
Are you still in MHT? I came in to BOS last night and am heading to LAX on Sunday so I am staying in Manchester. If you are here for the weekend I will meet you for a drink or 4.

Also, there was a MAJOR Gate louse infestation in SLC last night. The BOS gate looked like a mosh pit. The GA (LOVE her) called me to the podium to say hello and effectively got me through the swarm. What a strategy...inside help
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remedy
Maybe he is sitting in 1 A and wants to be sure he gets overhead space for the two bags that he is carrying. I usually sit in that seat and try to avoid being obvious, but do "hover" as discreetly as possible so that I am one of the earlier ones to board. Since there is no space in front at the bulkhead and forward overhead space is very limited - esp on a DC 9, it is important to be one of the earlier boarders. I suspect my picture will be posted one of these days as a gate louse!
mersk862 was in 1A
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Are you still in MHT? I came in to BOS last night and am heading to LAX on Sunday so I am staying in Manchester. If you are here for the weekend I will meet you for a drink or 4.
Here for the weekend, but have a pretty busy schedule the next few nights.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
mersk862 was in 1A
Was in 1C. The one person that was ahead of me on the u/g list was in 1A, and there was a Gold next to me in 1D that cleared after me.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mersk862
Was in 1C. The one person that was ahead of me on the u/g list was in 1A, and there was a Gold next to me in 1D that cleared after me.
WHAT! I am so disappointed that you did NOT get the coveted 1A! I'm there all weekend (MCO-BOS / BOS-JFK / LGA-MCO) and will be there next weekend (MCO-LAS-MCO) as well.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
WHAT! I am so disappointed that you did NOT get the coveted 1A! I'm there all weekend (MCO-BOS / BOS-JFK / LGA-MCO) and will be there next weekend (MCO-LAS-MCO) as well.

OK - so let me ask. In the world of upgrades (where I rarely play) if you are on the gate ug list and you clear, do you have a choice of seat or do you have one assigned? I have a certain fondness for some seats and a disdain for others even in FC. Though I rarely buy anything but F, A, or in some cases J, D, I, or S, there is the inevitable IROP or less frequent quick trip in Y - so I am curious if it is possible to "request" a particular seat during this ug process.

So far this year as DM I am 1/1 and that was 6 day's out. As a PM in January I was 0/1 on a self inflicted change where I went from a D to an H on a transcon - and got $10 back. Go figure that one.

Another question relevant to this thread - as for gate lice, if the person is confirmed in 1A and is first on the blue carpet, is that person a gate louse by definition or are they only a louse if they are not in boarding group 1?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Well I will be in the city on Saturday so if either or both of you guys can free up for a drink and a few dozen Oysters at the Union Oyster house just shout. I am also in Vegas the following week for the National Association of Broadcasters show but I am only there Tues/Weds/Thurs am.

This is clearly a busy FT travel weekend!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:41 am

Last night at MCO I observed the most United type of event I've ever seen on DL. It was ~ 20 minutes before boarding was set to start and there was this guy:

(sorry for the poor quality wanted to protect the innocent kettles in the gate area)
Please be aware that my attorney will be contacting you shortly. You cannot use my likeness in this way without my written consent!

Last edited by Snidely Whiplash; Apr 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Mersk862 sends this shot of a Y pax 10 minutes prior to boarding a DC9 today at DTW.

Why?
Sorry, but that could easily be me.

If I am about to be sitting for 13 hrs ATL-TLV (or even 4 hrs MXP-TLV) the last thing I want to do is sit in the airport. I much prefer walking around or even just standing.

If I am going to stand, why not stand close to the gate -- and be certain that I will be able to place my hand luggage in the overhead compartment above my seat?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bicostal
OK - so let me ask. In the world of upgrades (where I rarely play) if you are on the gate ug list and you clear, do you have a choice of seat or do you have one assigned? I have a certain fondness for some seats and a disdain for others even in FC. Though I rarely buy anything but F, A, or in some cases J, D, I, or S, there is the inevitable IROP or less frequent quick trip in Y - so I am curious if it is possible to "request" a particular seat during this ug process.

So far this year as DM I am 1/1 and that was 6 day's out. As a PM in January I was 0/1 on a self inflicted change where I went from a D to an H on a transcon - and got $10 back. Go figure that one.

Another question relevant to this thread - as for gate lice, if the person is confirmed in 1A and is first on the blue carpet, is that person a gate louse by definition or are they only a louse if they are not in boarding group 1?

RE: requesting a seat, I always ask at a gate when I get there if 1A is available (or 4A on a 88 or 7A on an ex-SONG 757). Usually I'll get a "sure no problem". If it's a smaller station I know well like SFO or MCO I'll ask the DSC to call down for me.

Gate lice are gate lice, no matter where they are sitting. IMHO.

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Well I will be in the city on Saturday so if either or both of you guys can free up for a drink and a few dozen Oysters at the Union Oyster house just shout. I am also in Vegas the following week for the National Association of Broadcasters show but I am only there Tues/Weds/Thurs am.

This is clearly a busy FT travel weekend!
I'm in town from 10p Fri till 8a sat celebrating my birthday w/a friend from Harvard then trekking down to NYC for a memorial service. It was cheaper to do MCO-BOS-NYC than MCO-NYC.

Vegas next weekend, hoping to meet a few clients who are there for the Womens Foodservice foum.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Here's a one from DL 166, ATL-JFK on 3/30 taken about 5 minutes before the first boarding call. I was in zone 1, but hovering off to one side of the lane and staying out of everyone's way. Suddenly I was cut off from the herd when the GA extended the stanchion and I had to make my way around to the end of the Breezeway line. As zone 1 was called there was a giant crush from all sides, which reminded me of old WN cattle call. I finally made it around to the end of the stanchion, and had to negotiate my way past one after another zone 4-6 rejects who were now traveling upstream back through the breezeway.

Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
Sorry, but that could easily be me.
He's way too young to be you.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:00 pm

I love the fact that this banner ad shows up on the right hand side of my screen when I visit this thread.

Quick Head Lice Treatment
Try the Professional Lice Solution Download lice elimination guide
www.NixLice.com
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by hgdf
...one after another zone 4-6 ... who were now traveling upstream back through the breezeway.
What the heck

I've had this happen to me a couple of times, but on Southwest. I was A1, and there were a couple of people standing in front of me waiting to board, even though they were > A15

It amazes me how arrogant some people act while travelling.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:57 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
What the heck

I've had this happen to me a couple of times, but on Southwest. I was A1, and there were a couple of people standing in front of me waiting to board, even though they were > A15

Lots of hate in this post...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
What the heck

You should see what happens at 2A,B,C,D,F,G at CDG when they call for pre-boarding only--STE, STE+ and J/F...most of the passengers deem that announcement as a cue to rush the gate area...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.