Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 8:35 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
As a side note - I've noticed that the guys who tend to go around everyone and get the very front of the crowd have there baggage tags proudly displayed on everything they carry. They can't tell my status level however or see the $$$$ sign on my ticket - I guess that's why they go ahead of me.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Even when they revert back to the old system, diamonds on a paid $1500 F ticket are still going to be lumped in with LUT silvers, golds and plats on a $300 upgraded F ticket. First is first. In the current system it does not matter how you get there. Just because someone pays $1500 for the exact same service someone else pays $300 for doesn't mean they are entitled to anything different.
Doesn't make it right (but actually, you aren't quite correct.) As a paid F, I can pick my seat first (outside the 6-day window), I don't lose my FC when IROP, I can SDC without SDC anytime I want, and I don't play the "lottery" for BF upgrades. The boarding issue is one about FC and Y, not within FC.

What FC First does, is separates out the Y gate lice and amazingly, the waters DO part when it is only a dozen or so FC passengers boarding. It was very easy to get to the front when the GA called FC. I would love to see a call for all FC Diamonds to board as they start of the boarding process - but that ain't gonna happen.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Yeah, I always get dirty looks and have people try catch a glimpse of my boarding pass when I board in zone 1 because I have no baggage tags, am not talking on my cell phone in a loud voice, am wearing Jeans and am not rude to anyone. Clearly I don't belong.
Yesterday prior to boarding in DCA there was a guy going around to each of the passengers standing near the gate area asking what zone they were in while proudly displaying his own Zone 1 BP. Apparently he didn't think some of these people were Zone 1 material. Of course they all were as atleast 50% of the plane is zone 1 in DC These are the people that make watching the gate area so fun. (For the record, he ended up boarding after me, even though I stayed seated until Zone 1 was called and was not in F).
Old May 25, 2010, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Bicostal
Doesn't make it right (but actually, you aren't quite correct.) As a paid F, I can pick my seat first (outside the 6-day window), I don't lose my FC when IROP, I can SDC without SDC anytime I want, and I don't play the "lottery" for BF upgrades. The boarding issue is one about FC and Y, not within FC.

What FC First does, is separates out the Y gate lice and amazingly, the waters DO part when it is only a dozen or so FC passengers boarding. It was very easy to get to the front when the GA called FC. I would love to see a call for all FC Diamonds to board as they start of the boarding process - but that ain't gonna happen.
I agree with you 100%. FC needs to board first. Don't hold your breath on them allowing Diamonds on paid F tickets to board before the rest of FC though.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Yeah, I always get dirty looks and have people try catch a glimpse of my boarding pass when I board in zone 1 because I have no baggage tags, am not talking on my cell phone in a loud voice, am wearing Jeans and am not rude to anyone.
Interesting.

Clearly I don't belong.
If you aren't in FC come Tuesday, you don't.

Yesterday prior to boarding in DCA there was a guy going around to each of the passengers standing near the gate area asking what zone they were in while proudly displaying his own Zone 1 BP. Apparently he didn't think some of these people were Zone 1 material.
Maybe, just maybe he was trying to be nice so that he didn't inadvertently cut in front of another Zone 1 person.

Of course they all were as atleast 50% of the plane is zone 1 in DC
Hence the problem again with the CF SkyPriority boarding process.

These are the people that make watching the gate area so fun. (For the record, he ended up boarding after me, even though I stayed seated until Zone 1 was called and was not in F).
Which is why your first comment was interesting. Absent being "rude" how did you get ahead of him?
Old May 25, 2010, 9:22 am

Interesting.

If you aren't in FC come Tuesday, you don't.

Maybe, just maybe he was trying to be nice so that he didn't inadvertently cut in front of another Zone 1 person.

Hence the problem again with the CF SkyPriority boarding process.

Which is why your first comment was interesting. Absent being "rude" how did you get ahead of him?
I must have misspoke. For the record I WAS in F. He was not.
Also, he was not trying to "be nice". He was incredibly rude. I'm not sure how I got ahead of him. I just boarded when my zone was called and was seated in F when he boarded. Maybe he had to go to the bathroom? I'm not sure how I would know unless I asked him.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Justin23
Are there different definitions for Gate Lice?

-Standing at the SkyPriority carpet prior to Zone 1 being called?

-Someone trying to board Zone 1 when they aren't allowed?

-Trying to "bumrush" the Zone 1 boarding call from the side?
Actually yes, there are several species.

1. The Conditional Elite Louse. This is Most of us due to the new SP process: We queue up somewhere close and as soon as the door is propped we are forced to "rush" the lane for fear of lice attack from all sides. No problem with this as it is a condition forced on us by the cluster-bang method DL has decided to employ. If you do not stand your ground somewhat you will not get overhead space and that is a good enough reason for me to understand.

2. The North American common Gate louse: These are typically not elite/qualified for the carpet but tend to feed very close to the perimeter. Then at the door prop, they swarm from all angles. They are usually harmless and many, once they realize they are being lice, will step to the side and politely say “sorry, go ahead”. No problem with this particular species but they do cause major congestion.

3. The North American leaping louse. This is a much more aggressive variety that tends to clog the carpet (not eligible) from all angles and way early. They purposely “stage” (I think they are looking for a mate) in such a way as to lock out any other critters from getting through. Here is the real difference: (these guys are kind of like Africanized bees) they are very aggressive and even when they realize they cannot yet board, they will not retreat and will staunchly defend the piece of carpet they are occupying. The legitimate SP zone one critters are then forced to “do the lice dance” around them. They will also typically call the person rightfully going around them names like “Mister big-... gets to board early” or “who is this guy?” etc.

I think I have summed up the 3 major varietals for you.. Good luck and be safe out there!
Old May 25, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Actually yes, there are several species.

1. The Conditional Elite Louse. This is Most of us due to the new SP process: We queue up somewhere close and as soon as the door is propped we are forced to "rush" the lane for fear of lice attack from all sides. No problem with this as it is a condition forced on us by the cluster-bang method DL has decided to employ. If you do not stand your ground somewhat you will not get overhead space and that is a good enough reason for me to understand.

2. The North American common Gate louse: These are typically not elite/qualified for the carpet but tend to feed very close to the perimeter. Then at the door prop, they swarm from all angles. They are usually harmless and many, once they realize they are being lice, will step to the side and politely say “sorry, go ahead”. No problem with this particular species but they do cause major congestion.

3. The North American leaping louse. This is a much more aggressive variety that tends to clog the carpet (not eligible) from all angles and way early. They purposely “stage” (I think they are looking for a mate) in such a way as to lock out any other critters from getting through. Here is the real difference: (these guys are kind of like Africanized bees) they are very aggressive and even when they realize they cannot yet board, they will not retreat and will staunchly defend the piece of carpet they are occupying. The legitimate SP zone one critters are then forced to “do the lice dance” around them. They will also typically call the person rightfully going around them names like “Mister big-... gets to board early” or “who is this guy?” etc.

I think I have summed up the 3 major varietals for you.. Good luck and be safe out there!
Fantastic summary!
Old May 25, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
This was me this morning, DL Shuttle from DCA to LGA. As it is open seating, there's more of a need to be in the right line at the right time (1A is so nice, but I snagged 1C). There was a line of 5 or so folks on the SkyPriority carpet. Instead of standing behind the last person, I inquired as to if they were in F or not. Only the first two were, the other three were not. So I lined up after the first two. I don't consider this to be rude behavior; I consider the Y PAX in the F line to be rude.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by BobRoss
This was me this morning, DL Shuttle from DCA to LGA. As it is open seating, there's more of a need to be in the right line at the right time (1A is so nice, but I snagged 1C). There was a line of 5 or so folks on the SkyPriority carpet. Instead of standing behind the last person, I inquired as to if they were in F or not. Only the first two were, the other three were not. So I lined up after the first two. I don't consider this to be rude behavior; I consider the Y PAX in the F line to be rude.
The sense of entitlement just amazes me - "I'm going to get on before three other people come h*ll or high water, because I'm entitled too!"

If people took a moment to breath and not sweat the little things in life, it would be so much calmer.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by BobRoss
I see nothing wrong with this approach if it's done politely and it's something you want to do. The gentleman I'm referring to was not asking people standing on the carpet, he was asking people standing in the general gate area and he was not doing so in a polite manner. Also, as far as I'm concerned, until boarding begins, it's none of his business what zone people are in.

I think the main issue that I have is that there really should never be a line at the gate UNTIL boarding begins. I thought the announcement said "Do not approach the gate area until your zone has been called".
Old May 25, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'm very confused....

My thought was always that the issue wasn't so much boarding first as it was making sure space was available in the O/H near your seat. The issue is worse for Row 1, as there tends to be less available space and there is no seat in front under which to stow a bag.

It appears others are more concerned about getting on the plane first and not so much about the luggage.

Wouldn't it work well if Row 1 and then the rest of FC could board, then go onto Zone 1, Zone 2, etc.? Other than the addition of the Row 1 and other FC boarding, nothing would need to change. Everyone in Zone 1 would be able to stow luggage. On most flights, so would Zone 2.

In that case, what difference would it make whether one was DM or GM, or what someone paid for a ticket. Is there something other than luggage space in the O/H that makes boarding first necessary?
Old May 25, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I'm very confused....

My thought was always that the issue wasn't so much boarding first as it was making sure space was available in the O/H near your seat. The issue is worse for Row 1, as there tends to be less available space and there is no seat in front under which to stow a bag.

It appears others are more concerned about getting on the plane first and not so much about the luggage.

Wouldn't it work well if Row 1 and then the rest of FC could board, then go onto Zone 1, Zone 2, etc.? Other than the addition of the Row 1 and other FC boarding, nothing would need to change. Everyone in Zone 1 would be able to stow luggage. On most flights, so would Zone 2.

In that case, what difference would it make whether one was DM or GM, or what someone paid for a ticket. Is there something other than luggage space in the O/H that makes boarding first necessary?

Perfect solution. Now, convincing DL that the whole Zone 1 for all thing has to go. That is the issue.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Whatever, Avis First
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Fantastic summary!
+1

Though a few of the Conditional Elite Louses will now morph into the Nervous About Overhead Space Bulkhead Sitting Louse and still twitch a little bit until FC is boarded once they make the SP changes on June 1st.
Old May 25, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yeah, I always get dirty looks and have people try catch a glimpse of my boarding pass when I board in zone 1 because I have no baggage tags, am not talking on my cell phone in a loud voice, am wearing Jeans and am not rude to anyone. Clearly I don't belong.
I am sorry, you do not belong until you are sporting a bluetooth.
And yes, you do have to talk loud, so that everyone can hear just how important you are, and how important the deal you just made is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.