FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1060667-gate-lice-coming-gate-lice-coming.html)

AKC6 Oct 30, 2015 7:57 pm

oblivious?

Originally Posted by yohanson (Post 25640207)
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1e0mcc8j.jpg 1 hour 13 minutes before departure. I have no idea how long she's been there.

I really hope she was just oblivious and wanted an out-of-the-way place.

Or was she actually waiting for the flight?

yohanson Oct 30, 2015 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by AKC6 (Post 25640868)
I really hope she was just oblivious and wanted an out-of-the-way place.

Or was she actually waiting for the flight?

She was waiting for the flight and number one on the upgrade list. She went up to two different GAs to ask about the upgrade. A young GA did upgrade her at T-35 and right after, upgraded two more people. She was in 1D and I in 2C. The person upgraded in 2A and the one in 2D had to go back to their original seats when the original pax showed up at T-20.

captiveguru Oct 31, 2015 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Howste (Post 25496373)
Or as an alternative, if it really bothers you that much, you could just stop clicking the link. :p

^^

puddinhead Oct 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 25496507)
I hate to step on toes but that is categorically false. For instance, when pass riding, most airlines have a dress code that must be followed. Even though many companies have relaxed standards at this point, they make it clear that your badge must not be displayed unless you are wearing your uniform or business casual at a minimum (of course it is okay to show the gate agent or crew in identifying yourself, but beyond that it should not be displayed).

-J.

Off duty pass rising employees aren't working and shouldn't be asking me for my BP or ID. I've seen on duty employees in uniform and they all have their ID as part of their uniform.

GW McLintock Oct 31, 2015 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead (Post 25643972)
Off duty pass rising employees aren't working and shouldn't be asking me for my BP or ID. I've seen on duty employees in uniform and they all have their ID as part of their uniform.

You've also probably seen a lot of on-duty employees who weren't wearing badges and don't have uniforms to wear. The badge is part of the uniform, but if you don't have a uniform you are not supposed to display your badge.

Regardless, they shouldn't be asking for your ID or boarding pass unless these documents are necessary for the task at hand (like a gate agent assisting with boarding your flight).

-J.

ubernostrum Nov 9, 2015 2:01 pm

Got a particularly aggressive one this morning.

Was exhausted after flying AMS-MSP-MCI yesterday, had to show up today to catch 5:45AM MCI-SLC (onward to SFO). Checked the app and saw I was #1 on upgrade list with 1 seat open, GA called me up to get new BP as F was boarding. Yay, breakfast!

And then get on the plane and find someone in my seat. Who had snuck onboard during "passengers needing assistance" and camped out in 1D, and then was "confused" and just thought that being in "the first row" meant the first row of F, not the first row of Y...

Ledfish Nov 9, 2015 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by ubernostrum (Post 25687220)
Got a particularly aggressive one this morning.

Was exhausted after flying AMS-MSP-MCI yesterday, had to show up today to catch 5:45AM MCI-SLC (onward to SFO). Checked the app and saw I was #1 on upgrade list with 1 seat open, GA called me up to get new BP as F was boarding. Yay, breakfast!

And then get on the plane and find someone in my seat. Who had snuck onboard during "passengers needing assistance" and camped out in 1D, and then was "confused" and just thought that being in "the first row" meant the first row of F, not the first row of Y...

First, this should probably be in the DYKWIA thread, not really gate lice.

Second, sounds like someone just hoping to scam their way into first.

xolinlevh Jan 15, 2016 1:29 pm

This morning on MSP-DTW. Gentleman seated at the start of the SP lane, feet extended blocking off the aisle. Call for pre-boards so he reluctantly stood up to let a wheelchair past, then a stroller. Called for Prem to board, he stood there and waited, then Sky, then Zone 1 at which point i boarded (waited to see if F boarded full first as i was #1 on the list). He was still waiting for his turn. Based on how long it took him to get on the plane i would guess he was zone 2 if not 3.

kbol Jan 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 26024575)
i would guess he was zone 2 if not 3

Hasn't zone 3 been phased out? I haven't seen it in a few months. Based in ATL and regularly flying to SEA or DTW, though, so it might just be pointless on the routes I'm flying.

xolinlevh Jan 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by kbol (Post 26024678)
Hasn't zone 3 been phased out? I haven't seen it in a few months. Based in ATL and regularly flying to SEA or DTW, though, so it might just be pointless on the routes I'm flying.

Its still around but its just for E fares. Which arent on all flights.

Crazyhotelguy Jan 16, 2016 2:36 pm

The prepaid thing needs refined. There should be qualifications as anyone can just board for any reason...

Case and point, this DYKWIA in DCA today preboards... No, obvious necessity short of being a potential customer of size... well upon the seat belt light being extinguished in DTW, guess who was the first one up In the aisle taking up all the space. Just to note, her seat belt was released upon landing.

Ms. Need extra time or assistance even ran over a few other people on her rampage out of the plane.

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just had to vent...

Ysitincoach Jan 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 26029284)
The prepaid thing needs refined. There should be qualifications as anyone can just board for any reason...

Case and point, this DYKWIA in DCA today preboards... No, obvious necessity short of being a potential customer of size... well upon the seat belt light being extinguished in DTW, guess who was the first one up In the aisle taking up all the space. Just to note, her seat belt was released upon landing.

Ms. Need extra time or assistance even ran over a few other people on her rampage out of the plane.

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just had to vent...

Calm down, calm down.

Delta provide's pax that "need extra time," to pre-board and that's pretty open.

There's no possible way a pre-board can be Gate Lice! They're the first to board, hence they're not blocking the entry way to the aircraft, and they're not lice.

You mentioned DYKWIA, perhaps it would be better for that thread.

Crazyhotelguy Jan 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach (Post 26029311)
Calm down, calm down.

Delta provide's pax that "need extra time," to pre-board and that's pretty open.

There's no possible way a pre-board can be Gate Lice! They're the first to board, hence they're not blocking the entry way to the aircraft, and they're not lice.

You mentioned DYKWIA, perhaps it would be better for that thread.

Thank you for missing the point. BTW, I started the DYKWIA thread, and felt this was much more fitting in this thread. The DYKWIA attitude was related to her total disrespect for anyone except herself....

Ysitincoach Jan 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 26029338)
Thank you for missing the point. BTW, I started the DYKWIA thread, and felt this was much more fitting in this thread. The DYKWIA attitude was related to her total disrespect for anyone except herself....

Good work.

It's disrespectful to pre-board, then need to exit immediately? Not as if she had to wait for wheelchair service ala a miracle flight.

Maybe it's precisely this attitude which fellow travelers take that drive SkyPriority members to seek more time to get down the jetway?

Crazyhotelguy Jan 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach (Post 26029360)
Good work.

It's disrespectful to pre-board, then need to exit immediately? Not as if she had to wait for wheelchair service ala a miracle flight.

Maybe it's precisely this attitude which fellow travelers take that drive SkyPriority members to seek more time to get down the jetway?

Living in MCO, I see more than my fair share of Miracle flights.

With that attitude, I should just PRE board whenever possible. I could fake a limp.

However, I choose to be respectful and follow basic considerations. One would hope others would not take advantage of such services that are meant for those who need them.