Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta applies for HND-SEA/LAX/HNL/DTW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
NW had (now DL has) 2 x daily HNL-NRT on 747's. DL is adding, starting later this summer, a third daily HNL-NRT (on A330). Also there is daily HNL-KIX on DL. And then a lot (I think like 7 from seeing the JL area departures board at HNL airport recently, but I may be off slightly) daily flights to Japan on JL (NRT, NGO, KIX), code shared with AA of course. And then also a bunch of UA and NH flights also. So all together well over 10, approaching 20, total daily HNL - Japan flights on 777's/747's/A330's, and carriers seem to be adding capacity to it to meet the demand. Total pax capacity daily HNL - Japan currently I'd estimate at somewhere around 5000.

Even KE is adding a second HNL-NRT flight, as the daily flight there (B747) is so full that they need to add a second flight, I think thrice weekly for now (as of this summer also, and staying on for fall and winter).

So, the loads are definitely high from HNL to Asia bound (or rather from, as these flights are mostly tourists that bring US economy much needed $$), both to Japan and also to Korea, and airlines (DL, KE - not sure about others like HA or China Airlines) are adding capacity this year.
As RealHJ said, there are lots of flights b/w NRT and HNL.
The # of flights is 8-10.(not including KIX, NGO and etc.)
DL 2X747(in high season, + A330).
UA 1x777
JAL(JO) 3X747 1x767(via Big Island, KOA)
NH 1X763
CI 1x747(no service on Sun. Thur.)
Especially in high season, end of March, 1st week of May(Golden week), end of July-entire August(cost over $1500 in Y from Aug10-15), Mid September and end of the year(Dec. 27th~), it is very hard to get ticket unless buying super expensive one or in advance.
I hope that some carriers operate to HNL in early morning. I want more time options to departure.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Exactly, so HND flights to HNL would provide the most public benefit: in increasing US federal and state tax collections, creating more jobs, and bringing in more tourists.

There are already more flights between HNL and Japan than any other US city, and it's still enough. It's clear where the demand is. And where there is more demand than supply, it makes sense to increase the supply. Everyone benefits.

If the DoT has good sense, it should award 2 slots to HNL (perhaps one to HA, one to DL), and the other 2 elsewhere (perhaps more east coast like DTW and EWR, as to west coast and central makes sense to connect via HNL) - as here more than anywhere else it'll bring benefit to the general public, and US economy esp.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
I would assume DTW will get a slot. A poster back stated it would be challenging to obtain business travelers. I disagree. I think this flight would benefit the many business travelers going to a from Japan with all the auto executives and engineers. Not to mention it would be a easy connection to the Midwest and East coast. Of all the proposed routs this one seems to make the most sense for me. You can finish a full day of work still make it home for a quick shower and off the Japan for a next day(or 2) meeting.

Leaving Japan you could be in a board meeting a by 9am, sign the deal, and be out the same night. This also could make a interesting MR.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:30 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by mersk862

HND-DTW:
Lv DTW 810p, Ar HND 1000p+1
Lv HND 700a, Ar DTW 545a
Daily 747 service
Good endorsement of DTW for those NW folks that were worried it was going to become the "domestic" hub. Still just a proposal though.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:37 pm

Somehow I wouldn't like to fly HND-DTW-HNL or HND-DTW-LAX or HND-DTW-SFO or HND-DTW-SLC or (...). Sorry.. but that just makes no sense whatsoever. DTW is so far east that it cuts out connections to the majority of US from HND by making one backtrack back west again a lot, and adding unnecessary flying time + burning extra fuel.

..while via HNL it's easy to go to anywhere. HND-HNL- SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, DFW, IAH, SLC, EWR, DTW, MSP, SLC, ATL, ORD, PHX, CLT, and so on: all easy and practical connections.
HNL would serve a cachment area roughly 300 or so miles to the West of Kansas City better than a DTW connection. However, LAX would serve those destinations even better, cutting off 600 or so miles from an average trip. SEA would actually serve HND the most "efficiently" on a distance calculator.

HND-HNL-ATL = 8,356
HND-DTW-ATL = 7,021

HND-HNL-SLC = 6847
HND-DTW-SLC = 7908

HND-HNL-MCI = 7,747
HND-DTW-MCI = 7,056

HND-HNL-DEN = 7,218
HND-HNL-DWN 7,550
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
My prediction is one slot to each alliance, to balance competitive concerns, plus one to HA. Most likely:
HA - HNL
DL - DTW
CO - EWR
AA - LAX

Originally Posted by ferd57
With *A and oneworld having Pacific anti-trust partners, doesn't that give Delta a shot at getting more slots than the others?
Doesn't DL have TPAC ATI with KE?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:59 pm

Exactly, so HND flights to HNL would provide the most public benefit: in increasing US federal and state tax collections, creating more jobs, and bringing in more tourists.
HND-HNL will provide the most public benefit to Japan, considering the vast majority of the traffic on the route is Japan-based.

Luckily the DoT realizes that it's in the best interest to help the US-based travelers, not the Japan-based travelers. They have no interest in what will help the local economies the most - they are most interested in what will serve the largest and most important markets, and what will provide the most connectivity.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Doesn't DL have TPAC ATI with KE?
No.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Given the sheer volume of flights from Japan to HNL, isn't it possible that an HND flight would simply steal traffic from NRT, providing no (or little) incremental benefit? Granted, this is an issue for every one of the proposed routes, all of which duplicate existing city-pair service to NRT, but why throw the capacity at a low-yield route of less utility to the average US-resident passenger?

Originally Posted by WBurcham
SEA would actually serve HND the most "efficiently" on a distance calculator.
SEA is the most efficient from a distance perspective, but all of the West Coast options suffer a bit as connecting points, due to the timing issues. The proposals in the press release are about the best timing they could hope for, which would entail that any SEA connections would need to be around 7pm or later. Currently, the only such flights are Pacific NW routes, major California cities, and red-eyes (all to cities that have non-stop NRT service, except for BOS and CLT). Service to the Midwest and even the Rocky Mountains is pretty much non-existent after 7pm, and probably couldn't be added, as such flights would land in the destination cities at unreasonable hours.

Originally Posted by SkyBuck
My prediction is one slot to each alliance, to balance competitive concerns, plus one to HA.
Depending upon how the proposed ATI's for CO/UA/NH and AA/JL go ahead, then concerns over competition should actually privilege DL. Remember that there are more slots being made available to NH and JL than to the US carriers. If the ATI's go ahead, this means that CO, UA, and AA get de facto slots via their JV partners. Giving DL more slots, then, provides more competition, as they are the only carrier without a Japanese partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.