Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
ANY partner flight will price at the low level, always (assuming there is availability). That includes AF, KL, AS, AZ, etc. Note that for going to Europe, you'll only be able to search AF and KL on the Delta website, and will have to call for AZ, UX, or other partners. Making an account with FlyingBlue and searcing at airfrance.us will show most partner availability, but only the low/classic awards are bookable from Delta. You can also use ExpertFlyer to search for availability (note that only classic awards are bookable with DL miles).

What you might be running into is a medium or high level award for a single leg of the trip causing the entire segment to price at that level. For example if you find ATL-IAD-CDG-FLR with ATL-IAD on DL and IAD-CDG-FLR on AF, just having the ATL-IAD leg pricing at medium would cause the entire outbound to price at medium. The segments on a partner airline would always be low miles.

A low level business award is 50k miles one way and medium is 100k miles one way. So using the example above, if your outbound had a single leg on DL metal that was medium priced, and the return was all low priced or entirely on partner airlines, it would price out at 150k miles in Business (100k miles out, 50k miles in).

Also if you are trying to do the open jaw online, it might not price properly even though it is legal. That's why you might be seeing 200k business award from AF. It's really doing it as two low priced tickets.

To avoid this, it's best to try to have all segments on partner airlines, which gaurantees low level awards. If you can't find flights out of ATL, then you'll need to look for low level DL awards to get to the US departure point. Make sure you follow the instructions in the beginning of the post, looking for one way, direct flights segment by segment.

Make sure you really do follow the instructions in the first post of this thread. There is plenty of availability. You don't even have to do it the hard way, just plug in ATL-FLR (one way) in the award search in business for any days around 4/30 and you'll pull up multiple options for 100k. Note that it is one way for 100k, but if you then find a one way return for 100k, they will price together as a single round trip for 100k (not added together).

For the return, just find a direct CDG-ATL on AF or AMS-ATL on KL or FCO-ATL on AZ. You can either drive to those cities for the return flight, or fly from pretty much any european city to the european departure point. There is always plenty of intra-europe availability.

Last edited by roknroll; Jul 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by roknroll
ANY partner flight will price at the low level, always (assuming there is availability). That includes AF, KL, AS, AZ, etc. Note that for going to Europe, you'll only be able to search AF and KL on the Delta website, and will have to call for AZ, UX, or other partners. Making an account with FlyingBlue and searcing at airfrance.us will show most partner availability, but only the low/classic awards are bookable from Delta. You can also use ExpertFlyer to search for availability (note that only classic awards are bookable with DL miles).

Only interested in KL, AF, or DL. So that takes care of it.

[/COLOR]
What you might be running into is a medium or high level award for a single leg of the trip causing the entire segment to price at that level. For example if you find ATL-IAD-CDG-FLR with ATL-IAD on DL and IAD-CDG-FLR on AF, just having the ATL-IAD leg pricing at medium would cause the entire outbound to price at medium. The segments on a partner airline would always be low miles.

So how to avoid this other than non-stop? Separately, one option was ATL-CDG direct and it was 200k for the round trip. Is that lack of availability at the low tier?

A low level business award is 50k miles one way and medium is 100k miles one way. So using the example above, if your outbound had a single leg on DL metal that was medium priced, and the return was all low priced or entirely on partner airlines, it would price out at 150k miles in Business (100k miles out, 50k miles in).

Also if you are trying to do the open jaw online, it might not price properly even though it is legal. That's why you might be seeing 200k business award from AF. It's really doing it as two low priced tickets.

To avoid this, it's best to try to have all segments on partner airlines, which gaurantees low level awards. If you can't find flights out of ATL, then you'll need to look for low level DL awards to get to the US departure point. Make sure you follow the instructions in the beginning of the post, looking for one way, direct flights segment by segment.

Make sure you really do follow the instructions in the first post of this thread. There is plenty of availability. You don't even have to do it the hard way, just plug in ATL-FLR (one way) in the award search in business for any days around 4/30 and you'll pull up multiple options for 100k. Note that it is one way for 100k, but if you then find a one way return for 100k, they will price together as a single round trip for 100k (not added together).

The problem is that the one way tickets are pricing at 200k for one leg, so this will total 200k for the round trip. Additionally, on the Awards calendar this came up as low fare, but when I selected it, it priced it at 200k.

For the return, just find a direct CDG-ATL on AF or AMS-ATL on KL or FCO-ATL on AZ. You can either drive to those cities for the return flight, or fly from pretty much any european city to the european departure point. There is always plenty of intra-europe availability.
I may call Delta to help narrow this down, but I wanted to try to find the best option for landing in Europe and departing. I came on here for some good tips, but after reading your posts, I am perplexed by the lack of options I can find on the website. I have used it before and know my way around it, but keep running up against high fares.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First
Example

Okay here is one example where I am not sure how I am doing it wrong:

4/16/13 ATL-MXP Nonstop
5/3/13 MXP-ATL Nonstop

The Award Calendar shows this as Low fares both ways, but the total miles is 150k, and not 100k.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
My guess at how you're doing it wrong: You're using the color-coding on the calendar, rather than following the instructions in the first post to find true low band awards on a one-way basis searching by schedule, date by date, then piecing them together.

(Yes, such a work-around is often necessary because the color display is messed up - and has been for years.)

Your ATL-MXP flight is priced at medium in Business; add the low return and the r/t award prices at 150K. I can discern this because, looking at one-ways, this is the pricing by segment:

ATL-MXP 200K (a medium Business TATL award)

MXP-ATL 100K (a low band Business award)

Find awards in each direction at 100K and - most times - it will come together for a 100K r/t.

Really, given all the DL non-stops from ATL (about 15 European cities) and all the DL connections to AF/KL gateways ORD/DTW/IAD/MCO/JFK/BOS/YUL/YYZ... two Business awards at 100K each is entirely possible. Is it more work than it should be? You bet. Close out your successful award search by writing snail-mail to the CEO.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by worldex
Okay here is one example where I am not sure how I am doing it wrong:

4/16/13 ATL-MXP Nonstop
5/3/13 MXP-ATL Nonstop

The Award Calendar shows this as Low fares both ways, but the total miles is 150k, and not 100k.
If you read around this forum you will find that the award calendar frequently shows low/green but then the flights don't pan out. You just need to seach each date individually. Also, REALLY do read and follow the first post of this thread (although I don't search for econ, I just search business). Your best bet is lookig for NON-DELTA flights which always price low. If you are on DL metal it could be low, med, or high price. Any single leg at a higher price will make the whole segment price at the higher level.

Look for ATL-CDG or ATL-AMS. If you can find those flights on AF or KL, they will be low price. Once you have the trans-atlantic, you can then find thed intra-europe but DL's site will rpobably not work to search it. For example when you search ATL-MXP it gives you 200k awards on DL metal, but you could do ATL-CDG-MXP on AF and it will book at low. DL.com won't show you that thoug.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
The other thing to remember is that sometimes you need to take DL coach at low domestically to get to an AF/KL/AZ gateway. ATL-IAD in Y to connect to a J flight to CDG is tolerable, for instance.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Trying to book SDQ-CDG on AF, ORY-MAD-SDQ on UX. EF shows Z availability for the UX flights, airfrance.us also shows Classic Business Award availability, yet, a DL Agent and a supervisor cannot see it.
After 4-5 calls, an agent was able to call the Skyteam desk and reserve the seats I wanted. 100,000 miles + 410 EUR taxes.

Edited to Add: Now UX Seats are gone from the reservation before the ticket was issued. They (Skymiles desk in France) claim that there is no availability in Air Europa even though they put the reservation on hold with the UX flights.

Last edited by SDQBound; Jul 19, 2012 at 5:39 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:56 am

Help with Award ticket

Fairly new at this but I was trying to book an award ticket as follows:
12/18 Rdu-LHR DL
12/24 LHR-CDl DL
12/24 CDG-BCN AF
12/31 BCN-FRA AF
01/01 FRA-ATL DL
01/02 ATL-RDU DL
I checked each flight and it showed the low tier award. Problem is it comes up with 80,000 miles instead of 60,000 miles. Why? I have read prior posts but I maybe missing something. Called Delta and they come up with 100,000 miles. Lost please help.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by mom2kids
Fairly new at this but I was trying to book an award ticket as follows:
12/18 Rdu-LHR DL
12/24 LHR-CDl DL
12/24 CDG-BCN AF
12/31 BCN-FRA AF
01/01 FRA-ATL DL
01/02 ATL-RDU DL
I checked each flight and it showed the low tier award. Problem is it comes up with 80,000 miles instead of 60,000 miles. Why? I have read prior posts but I maybe missing something. Called Delta and they come up with 100,000 miles. Lost please help.
I suspect it's an invalid routing problem. BCN-CDG-FRA-ATL-RDU exceeds the MPM, but just barely. This is the case that I haven't been able to figure out, as I've seen Delta.dumb allow routings within 5% of the MPM, wich yours is. However, it seems that they're not fond of it at the moment.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does SkyTeam fly to VRN or TRN?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Does SkyTeam fly to VRN or TRN?
AF flies from CDG to both. AZ serves VRN from FCO and has a focus city at TRN it looks like. Wikipedia lists nine year-round destinations and one seasonal for AZ at TRN.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
OK, dl.com didn't find any flights to TRN, on an awards search.

Sounds like I'll have to call.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
OK, dl.com didn't find any flights to TRN, on an awards search.

Sounds like I'll have to call.
You need to search by schedule usually to find some AF/KL flights (especially if doing intra-European flights on their own), and AZ is not bookable online.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM
I used to be able to book online for a combo of DL/AF or just AF biz seats from LAX-CDG(laying over usually for one night) then CDG-AMM and the return would be straight through with a 4hr or so layover in CDG. Now I can't find anything for Nov. without a message coming up that one or more flights just sold out. I am a Plat. and am the only one traveling. Is it not possible to book AF biz award seats online anymore? I have seen another thread re:AF and am wondering if this is still a temporary glitch or is a phone call required now?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Jac747
I used to be able to book online for a combo of DL/AF or just AF biz seats from LAX-CDG(laying over usually for one night) then CDG-AMM and the return would be straight through with a 4hr or so layover in CDG. Now I can't find anything for Nov. without a message coming up that one or more flights just sold out. I am a Plat. and am the only one traveling. Is it not possible to book AF biz award seats online anymore? I have seen another thread re:AF and am wondering if this is still a temporary glitch or is a phone call required now?
I would just call. Have you tried searching on the AF site to see if the AF segments are indeed available? I've seen the DL site act like that when it shows AF availability through DL, but it really isn't there. It also could be there, but a phone call is necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.