Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Scam - F Class is NOT F Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:35 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by humanoid94
I think this is the first "Best in Class" downgrade that originated from legacy NW
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Finally something that was wrong with NW!! Maybe those "NW-lovers/DL-haters" will finally recognize that their precious NW is not perfect...
I have no problem calling a spade a spade. This is indeed something where there is a downgrade from the NW side. Of course, it's been JUST a little lopsided where most of the downgrades came from DL...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:53 pm

It doesn't matter where the technology issue is from.

You have PAX buying high margin F fares not getting correct credit. The CSRs are helpless. The real pressure should be for DL to enable the call center folks to handle the goofy merger issues with out valuable customers jumping through hoops.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark
As for NW, well, it factually doesn't exist any more Therefore, all of this is DL's mess.

We all know that DL likes bait and switch marketing (350k SM J class redemption from US to EU, anyone? What's exactly the multiplier creating this final cost?)...and is utterly unresponsive to customer complaints of all types.
Of course this was not an issue generated by the implementation of legacy NW systems was it.... just heap the blame where it's deserved or would that require you to admit that the NWA rose colored glasses...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
And be aware that if you ir-op, you're back in the class-of-service paid... which is Y. So F seats is space-available (probably specifically A or R?).
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Well, in all seriousness, this issue is patently unacceptable, wherever and however it arose.

But, although I had operational issues with NW like most of the other heavy flyers, I found that they were easily and simply resolved by calling the PE line and whatever they needed to do to make it happen, they did so.

The new experience is absolutely night and day. Although the DL SMS CSRs I've talked to since the merger have been courteous, they cannot -or will not - solve the problems. They have been remarkably ineffectual at handling all kinds of issues. And it's because they're not empowered to. I understand that, and I don't go off at the CSRs when they can't fix something. At least they should give us the straight story - "we're not empowered to do that." But it shows how abysmal the management is when they don't give their workers the tools to deliver a better CS experience for the elites.

Now, as for rose-tinted glasses, if we inventory of properties and features of the former WP program vs SM, we find that WP was often truly best-in-class whereas SM is only "best in class" according to its own management propaganda.

Here's one case in point. I lived in Japan for several years and often took long weekends using award tickets. 30k in J from NRT-SIN/HKG/ICN/MNL/BKK wherever. No extra surcharges, transparent award levels, almost always available at low level. For that, I could and did live with Y in the 744 and D10s on numerous TPAC itins, and even pay extra to fly B or whatever while doing so. The value was high. Many other redtailers would agree. Think about it...a program so good, it made us relish riding in row 22 of the D10. I bet you wouldn't do that for SM if they reintroduced the D10

That's the difference. No rose-tinting here.

SM categorically sucks compared with all other major airline FF programs, not just the former WP. But you can understand why the contrast is more of an affront to those of us who were acclimated to such a great FF program and such great, can-do service from our elite CSRs.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:32 pm

As a lawyer, one should know that the fare is governed by the contract of carriage and fare rules. The fare rules say its a coach ticket that allows for upgrade based on x then that is what it is. That is especially apparent when flying during weather delays and then you find out your first class paid fare really wasn't.

So the complaint should be restated "I didn't read the terms and conditions for what I purchased(as I was taught in law school) and now I am mad because it's not my fault". That particular complaint isn't unique to any airline and it has been around since someone decided to sell/barter/exchange something to someone else.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
[QUOTE=Herb687;12998679]I disagree that the website is promising something it doesn't deliver. It promises that A/F fares are 150% RDM & 150% MQM but now that SkyMiles processing has migrated to NW's system it does not deliver on that promise.

Most seem to be forgetting that the OP did NOT purchase an F fare. Yes, the booking screen indicates he is getting a seat in F class, however clicking on the "Fare Rules" found on the final booking page will indeed show the actual fare class booked into.

Like I said, I totally agree that this is problematic and DL should provide the miles, but by the same token I think others should know that it IS something they can avoid.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
The new experience is absolutely night and day. Although the DL SMS CSRs I've talked to since the merger have been courteous, they cannot -or will not - solve the problems. They have been remarkably ineffectual at handling all kinds of issues. And it's because they're not empowered to. I understand that, and I don't go off at the CSRs when they can't fix something. At least they should give us the straight story - "we're not empowered to do that." But it shows how abysmal the management is when they don't give their workers the tools to deliver a better CS experience for the elites.
This has been acknowledged on this forum by DL and NW CSRs in the new DL. They have also stated that they are working to making it so that SMS agents will have more discretion and ability. It won't happen overnight and will take some time to get everyone trained and proficient. Currently with two different reservation systems it is very challenging for them. After the SOC is achieved and eventually when all agents are working in the same system things will be smoother.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Most seem to be forgetting that the OP did NOT purchase an F fare. Yes, the booking screen indicates he is getting a seat in F class, however clicking on the "Fare Rules" found on the final booking page will indeed show the actual fare class booked into.
The problem with that line of thought is it really doesn't pass the smell test for "unfair and deceptive practices". Of which the DOT has shown they are quite willing to fine DL for that rule.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by okamsrazor
As a lawyer, one should know that the fare is governed by the contract of carriage and fare rules. The fare rules say its a coach ticket that allows for upgrade based on x then that is what it is. That is especially apparent when flying during weather delays and then you find out your first class paid fare really wasn't.

So the complaint should be restated "I didn't read the terms and conditions for what I purchased(as I was taught in law school) and now I am mad because it's not my fault". That particular complaint isn't unique to any airline and it has been around since someone decided to sell/barter/exchange something to someone else.
+1

If the fare basis of the ticket is H then the OP shouldn't get 150% MQM no matter what cabin the OP sat in. In every case I've seen, the fare basis and the rules associated with that fare are available via a hyperlink before the ticket is purchased.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
You are absolutely WRONG. He most certainly did purchase an F fare. The fare booked into F class.

You do not understand the difference between fare basis code and fare class. The fare class or booking class of the OP's ticket was F.

The first character of a fare basis code is NOT always the same as the actual booking class associated with that fare.

Last edited by Herb687; Dec 16, 2009 at 3:08 pm
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

Another poster that doesn't understand the difference between fare basis code and fare class.

Oh and by the way that ridiculously cheap -UP first class ticket that I had such a problem getting correct RDM/MQM credit for back in the summer? That mileage run did go IRROPS at one point during the trip. I was rebooked into the first class cabin, not coach cabin.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
As a lawyer, one should know that the fare is governed by the contract of carriage and fare rules.
Yes, and the term used to describe such a practice is "Scam".

[QUOTE=ocdb8r;13000902]
Originally Posted by Herb687
According to Delta's web site a NW F fare is eleigble for 1.5x MQM bonus. Sticking to the fine print is a real good way to generate goodwill and encourange customer loyalty.

===================
The worst part of the story IMHO is that DL's management did not empower its CS representatives to address such minor issues that should be expected while integrating two complex systems.

DLP
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:26 pm

Now, as for rose-tinted glasses, if we inventory of properties and features of the former WP program vs SM, we find that WP was often truly best-in-class whereas SM is only "best in class" according to its own management propaganda.

SM categorically sucks compared with all other major airline FF programs, not just the former WP. But you can understand why the contrast is more of an affront to those of us who were acclimated to such a great FF program and such great, can-do service from our elite CSRs.
Not denying that the features of WP were very, very good.

I however, would disagree with the thought that SM compared to all other airline FFP's sucks. It's NOT "best in class" however.

As for the "can do" service, I haven't had the best of luck with Chisholm agents being empowered to make things right after IROPS because there was an AA codeshare on the ticket.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: CO PL, DL PM
Regardless of how the reservations system might work, Delta made it absolutely clear that you were traveling in F, and for them to deny it because their computer system secret changed its mind is pure fraud. If Delta views the ticket as technically being H, they have a responsibility to make that reasonably apparent. A court would agree that no reasonable person, other than some (and only some) of the road warriors here, would be able to recognize that from the website. We shouldn't be defending a patently disingenuous system that refuses to make exception when it has deceived a traveler.

A small-claims suit is fitting, but first mail an actual letter to Delta corporate, probably to the VP level, formally laying out your case with all the relevant information. Also note your status (and probably include "Esq." in the heading). I'd send it registered priority, just to show you're serious.

Airlines often have to operate brusquely or heavy-handedly to ensure smooth operations and accounting and to avoid a costly precedent. This is not one of those cases. Their system (and their employees) clearly recognized you as traveling in F. Most importantly, you paid full F, so in no way could they claim you were taking advantage of a revocable benefit they offer as a promotion. First send a respectful yet firm letter, and, if nothing happens within 10 days, file a legal complaint.

Last edited by DCAmateur; Dec 16, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.