Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Scam - F Class is NOT F Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
On one hand you got what you paid for, an F seat. You're the lawyer and I am not, while you didn't get what you expected, it's hard to say that you didn't get what you paid for. On the other hand I believe you should have got the 1.5X bonus but the NW/DL dual operating certificates is preventing the systems from working right.

None the less, if you are getting the run around by CS send an email to Kevin Pinto. Search the forum for his name. Something tells me he will help you out.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
I don't think it's necessarily a case of the DL website promising something it doesn't deliver. The reality is that the website is designed for people to purchase seats on an airplane. Little thought goes into the idea that miles are part of the purchase entitlement. In other words, there is a disconnect between the sales function on the website and the loyalty function of SkyMiles. DL is focused on providing the set, which you in face received as promised.
I disagree that the website is promising something it doesn't deliver. It promises that A/F fares are 150% RDM & 150% MQM but now that SkyMiles processing has migrated to NW's system it does not deliver on that promise.

I fully agree that it is an unacceptable situation as many of us book into specific classes with receipt of miles in mind, sometime even overriding the seat or routing considerations that the website was designed for. There is no justification for DL denying you the 1.5x mileage.
On this I agree with you wholeheartedly!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by bwhite
On one hand you got what you paid for, an F seat. You're the lawyer and I am not, while you didn't get what you expected, it's hard to say that you didn't get what you paid for.
BS. He paid for an F fare ticket (here defined to mean NW F booking code, not just first class cabin). It's crystal clear that NW F fare tickets (NW F booking code) should be 150%MQM and DL is refusing to give him this.

He most certainly did not get all of that for which he paid.

Last edited by Herb687; Dec 16, 2009 at 10:44 am Reason: clarification
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687

It is indeed a scam. When a company's website clearly tells you that A/F fares are 150% MQM fares but its backend systems sytematically do not treat them as such and screw you out of the bonus, that to me seems every bit a scam.
Its most certainly not a "scam" in that it is intentional on Delta's part...maybe they are not very aware of the problem--they obviously are bogged down in a multitude of IT issues. I do agree though that Delta owes the OP 1.5x miles. Like others have said, I would suggest just calling and calling until you get an agent willing to help you. I would also write to Delta.com contact us and spell out your story and see what kind of response you get.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by humanoid94
I'd be interested to know if this change in earnings was caused by the migration to NW backend to handle miles earnings instead of Delta's backend. If so, I think this is the first "Best in Class" downgrade that originated from legacy NW...
Had a recent flight IROPS @ the airport and was switched from a T class to an M class (lazy agent to get me onto a new flight).

I received 150% MQM's for the M fare segment(s) that were originally in paid U.

However, this was on DL stock.

~ 3 months ago I was changed from upgraded NW first (R?) to P because of IROPS/SDC. Again I received 150%.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Its most certainly not a "scam" in that it is intentional on Delta's part...maybe they are not very aware of the problem--they obviously are bogged down in a multitude of IT issues. I do agree though that Delta owes the OP 1.5x miles. Like others have said, I would suggest just calling and calling until you get an agent willing to help you. I would also write to Delta.com contact us and spell out your story and see what kind of response you get.
Given the way DL gives MQMs like candy with promotions, I have to think it's not intentional. IIRC back in the nw.com days it was a bit easier to see the fare class before checkout.

This is more of a reflection of the Kafkaesque customer service model. The real ding for DL is they don't appear to have (or are willing use) an escalation channel for these situations. Obviously it's a merger and things happen, but you don't want to discourage folks from buying high margin fares. One would expect the answer from the CSR to be: "We're sorry sir. We'll get this taken care of. I'm putting the request in now. Would you like us to email your or call you?"

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Had a recent flight IROPS @ the airport and was switched from a T class to an M class (lazy agent to get me onto a new flight).
Some GAs have indicated it's actually super simple to make sure people stay in the fare class box. But it seems very common. I wonder if there is an effort to give Medallion/Elite PAX a little bump when IRROPs happen?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:31 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
The OP is going to get what is due to him. Only question is how long it takes. If it were me, I'd write a short and factual letter to a Skymiles Exec, while also reaching out to Kevin via FT.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The other thing that would tick me off even more is that the x-UP fares cost more than the straight coach fare anyway... so the argument that you paid for a coach fare with free upgrade is negated. H costs less than an H-UP.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
BS. He paid for an F fare ticket (here defined to mean NW F booking code, not just first class cabin). It's crystal clear that NW F fare tickets (NW F booking code) should be 150%MQM and DL is refusing to give him this.

He most certainly did not get all of that for which he paid.
So what is an MQM worth for when this goes to court? I agree that he should get them but in the eyes of the court, he bought a plane ticket and flew in first class. Finding a judge to see past that and into the intricacies of the FFP which has all sorts of legal T & C's might be a challenge.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by bwhite
So what is an MQM worth for when this goes to court? I agree that he should get them but in the eyes of the court, he bought a plane ticket and flew in first class. Finding a judge to see past that and into the intricacies of the FFP which has all sorts of legal T & C's might be a challenge.
The imputed - and promised - value of the itin was in both a. the F seat and service and b. the FFP benefits attached to the itin, namely the 1.5x EQM. Both these imputed product features clearly drove the purchasing decision by the OP.

As for NW, well, it factually doesn't exist any more Therefore, all of this is DL's mess.

We all know that DL likes bait and switch marketing (350k SM J class redemption from US to EU, anyone? What's exactly the multiplier creating this final cost?)...and is utterly unresponsive to customer complaints of all types.

The effort of having to file for all this BS is astonishing. Who wants such aggravation? Above and beyond all the fees that SM imposes to do business with them. Unbelievably low-value proposition in comparison to almost all other airline FFPs.

RA must indeed be consuming strong hallucinogenics if he believes a. the RM forecast of 12% margins and b. that this kind of CS will get them there!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by motytrah
The real ding for DL is they don't appear to have (or are willing use) an escalation channel for these situations. Obviously it's a merger and things happen, but you don't want to discourage folks from buying high margin fares.
Another item worth pointing out as this gets escalated within DL.

DL's competitors get it right when it comes to posting of -UP fares. I have flown -UP fares on AA and UA and they have posted correctly on those airlines: first class with all associated redeemable and status mile/point bonuses.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
DL's competitors get it right when it comes to posting of -UP fares. I have flown -UP fares on AA and UA and they have posted correctly on those airlines: first class with all associated redeemable and status mile/point bonuses.
That's the thing, these miles have always posted correctly on DL.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
That's the thing, these miles have always posted correctly on DL.
No, they haven't.

They didn't for me. They didn't for this thread's OP. They didn't for at least one other person in this thread.

That's considerably less than "always."

They may have posted correctly before migration of SkyMiles to NW's backend but they no longer do.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
No matter what you do, I'd fly the last few EQMs to get them into the system, before 12/31. Then any EQMs you get later will roll-over (if this year), or apply directly next year. If you bank on getting those miles, and they don't appear until next year, and you wanted them this year, that'll be an other thread we'll see for this incident.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by sbagdon
If you bank on getting those miles, and they don't appear until next year, and you wanted them this year, that'll be an other thread we'll see for this incident.
I'm not sure about the NW system. But with DL, MQMs are counted for the year they were flown. Even if the flight isn't properly credited until 2010, those MQMs should still count for 2009.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.