Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is too generous with upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Personally, I am happy if/when I get an UG, but understand it's not a guaranty. I even understand it's human nature to think the policy is great when I get an UG and it's wrong when I don't get an UG. Whatever the policy, I'll live with it.

The only thing I ask is that the policy be very clear and consistently used. If I don't get an upgrade because I didn't qualify per the published procedure, it's understandable. If I don't get an upgrade because the procedure what not followed so that a non-rev or other uneligible pax gets ahead of me, then I'm irked.

Nothing's more frustrating than waiting until the end of boarding, not being cleared, told you have to get on the plane, seeing the empty seat and watching a DL employee with badge on neck who was in the gate area when you boarded ultimately take the seat on a cross-country flight. (It wasn't me, as I wasn't first on the list, but the guy who waited wound up sitting across the aisle from me and was, rightfully, very agitated.)
+++1^
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
So as a PM I was hoping to SDC to an earlier flight this Sunday SEA-JFK. I was hoping DL would save some of those F seats for battlefield upgrades. Unfortunately, Delta has already given every single seat away in F as of the 3-day GM upgrade window!

I do think DL should save one or two seats (just one really is enough) for day-of-departure upgrades, even if the computer thinks they won't be sold. This will enable high-level elites to SDC to those flights and still be upgraded.

OK, I'm sure someone will flame me for moaning and complaining about Delta. But I think this is a reasonable request that will enhance service for DL's best customers. Personally, I am not really bothered by it, and hey, life goes on!
So you think that PM who change to a different flight on a whim should trump GM and FO flyers on their original flights? This is one PM that disagrees.

The ability to do a SDC is a perk in itself -- if I'm catching an earlier flight I'm thrilled to get on. I don't expect to be able to switch straight into F. I mean, it's happened, but those GM and FO flyers deserve their shot at those EUAs.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
I SDC a lot. Pay for my own tickets, so unless I see a big oversold threat, I'll take the cheapest routing for my day of travel, and SDC as need be. Sometimes the UG happens on my SDC flights, sometimes not. Whatever way it works out, it was a consequence of my decisions and strategy, so I can only whine at myself about the outcome.

The UA system does not work as well. As a 1K, I'll invariably clear the standby list, but U/G priority goes behind everyone else currently on the U/G list for that flight, regardless of status. Still, if I chose to go earlier standby (later is problematic on UA unlike the max same day flexibility given by DL SDC) it was also my decision, my consequences.
Actually, not quite accurate about UA's system. As 1K, you can do SDC for free, as long as there are 2 seats available for sale and the flight is not oversold. If you're confirmed, you can request upgrade, which is sorted by status, fare basis, and time of check in.

If seats are not available, you go on standby, and it's exactly that: by the book, you'll have to clear standby first before you can get on the upgrade list, and the gate agent usually clears upgrade list to create space for standby passengers.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by RichMSN
So you think that PM who change to a different flight on a whim should trump GM and FO flyers on their original flights? This is one PM that disagrees.

The ability to do a SDC is a perk in itself -- if I'm catching an earlier flight I'm thrilled to get on. I don't expect to be able to switch straight into F. I mean, it's happened, but those GM and FO flyers deserve their shot at those EUAs.
+1

I find it amazing as some FT's have posted in the past that they will actually go standby on a different flight to clear upgrade because they didn't on their original. If coach is so unbearable for you then maybe you should just buy F tickets.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by RichMSN

Its slightly off topic, but that is why I don't do "pure" Mileage Runs anymore. The last one I did a few years ago on the last leg (MEM-LAX) my seatmate got a BF upgrade and was so excited about it he was like a kid at Christmas. He was just sorry that his friend (who was also a silver) couldn't have gotten an upgrade too. I realized that my little jaunt around the country (was upgraded on all legs at the window, IIRC) was keeping somebody else from an upgrade. Now I'll take the upgrade as my due when I'm actually going somewhere, but somehow it felt wrong since I wasn't actually going anywhere! Hard to explain, but now I make any MR into a mini-vacation and actually leave the airport and see the town. The end result is the same, but I don't feel so guilty about my upgrades.

But I agree with RichMSM -- if you SDC you take your chances on the battlefield.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
But there are so many complaints about DL holding seats for day of upgrades. There has been so much whining about not getting upgrades at the window and DL being stingy about releasing upgrade inventory.
Exactly... these people (the OP and the 2nd and 3rd poster as well) need to stop complaining about this.

Did you get the early upgrade on the ticket you originally bought? Yes... so stop complaining because Delta didn't hold upgrades for you on EVERY FLIGHT THAT DAY just in case you want to SDC.

Man, you guys have no idea how ungrateful you sound...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Man, you guys have no idea how ungrateful you sound...
What's that? Upgrades aren't a PM's guaranteed "birthright"? Hogwash!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
So as a PM I was hoping to SDC to an earlier flight this Sunday SEA-JFK. I was hoping DL would save some of those F seats for battlefield upgrades. Unfortunately, Delta has already given every single seat away in F as of the 3-day GM upgrade window!

I do think DL should save one or two seats (just one really is enough) for day-of-departure upgrades, even if the computer thinks they won't be sold. This will enable high-level elites to SDC to those flights and still be upgraded.

OK, I'm sure someone will flame me for moaning and complaining about Delta. But I think this is a reasonable request that will enhance service for DL's best customers. Personally, I am not really bothered by it, and hey, life goes on!
What happens when you SDC and you're put on the waitlist for a seat, then then GA clears you AFTER all the upgrades have been given out. Don't laugh, happened to me last year!!!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: former
>>>>>>>>>maybe you should just buy F tickets.

F tickets to you too.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Keep the generosity coming!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:24 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
A different read on the situation

oops, dupe.

Last edited by andymo99; Jan 6, 2010 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:33 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by GaryDD
...If coach is so unbearable for you then maybe you should just buy F tickets.

I read the original post much differently, as I originally thought it concerned a paid F customer. I have experienced this frustration before, where I am flying on a paid F ticket, and I would like to SDC, but there are no F seats. In such an instance, I do agree that it is frustrating that there are (we assume) upgraders who've been confirmed, and so you can't change flights and still sit in the premium cabin you've paid for. For this reason, I do agree that it makes sense to hold some inventory for gate lottery - to better match supply with the most "worthy" (paying pax) among those who desire it.

As an aside, this was long a frustration for me with CO. I often found that I couldn't buy F seats to IAH a few days in advance (or day of). I always assumed a few upgrades had been issued, and this seemed like bad business to me.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:03 pm

Agreed.
Originally Posted by andymo99
I read the original post much differently, as I originally thought it concerned a paid F customer. I have experienced this frustration before, where I am flying on a paid F ticket, and I would like to SDC, but there are no F seats. In such an instance, I do agree that it is frustrating that there are (we assume) upgraders who've been confirmed, and so you can't change flights and still sit in the premium cabin you've paid for. For this reason, I do agree that it makes sense to hold some inventory for gate lottery - to better match supply with the most "worthy" (paying pax) among those who desire it.

As an aside, this was long a frustration for me with CO. I often found that I couldn't buy F seats to IAH a few days in advance (or day of). I always assumed a few upgrades had been issued, and this seemed like bad business to me.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
While I agree that we should not be complaining about being too generous with upgrades, I do have to say that this week was a rare ocasion where I was buying my mother a last minute first class ticket (3 days out) and guess what - no seats available ... I don't understand from a profit standpoint why DL does this. This was flying out of SNA where I'm sure there are many last minute ticket buyers who would be willing to shell out for first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.