Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is too generous with upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Oh dear, as the OP all I made was one suggestion for improvement and I got called rather bad names by certain people. I'm not going to get into tit-for-tat with them (although I would issue a general reminder for civility on these boards), but I do stand my ground with my original suggestion.
But why do you think someone who changed their mind at the last minute should get priority over someone who made their plans ahead and are sticking to them? For a silly, but none-the-less pointed example, let's say you're standing in line at the grocery store, and I'm in the next line, which happens to be longer. If I spend more money at that store, should the store let me decide to switch to your line and cut in front of you?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thesaints
I think DL should not give upgrades in advance at all.
Everybody gets a ticket to the gate lottery. That way DL gets some more chances at selling that seat and people are actually upgraded according to the well known priority list.

Who cares to know 5 days in advance ?
I wonder how the disgruntled former NW Plats would react to this "enhancement" if DL follows the suggestions of several posters on this thread?

As others have said, there is no way DL can please everyone, and complaining that DL is too generous and should hold upgrades for SDC is way over the top.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
My only gripe is when I want to BUY a first class seat last minute, and there are non available.
My impression is most airlines hold a small number of F seats for last minute sale. That has been my experience with NW/DL flights and the reason why there is almost always a small number of BF U/G.

I think if you're trying to buy a last minute F seat and there isn't one it's because someone else has beat you to purchasing those seats.

Does it happen? Sure, but I'm betting it's pretty rare.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
Well... I try to play by the clear rules of the game set out by delta - I book my tickets well in advance (usually). I have ony missed one upgrade the entire year in doing this. I book flights on off days/times if possible to increase my chances (not possible for everyone). I only SDC if I can see 'Upgrade Available' listed on Delta.com up to 3 hours before my flight. I figure that i'm making someone happy from my original flight and not really taking anything away from anyone on my new flight!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Moebius01
But why do you think someone who changed their mind at the last minute should get priority over someone who made their plans ahead and are sticking to them? For a silly, but none-the-less pointed example, let's say you're standing in line at the grocery store, and I'm in the next line, which happens to be longer. If I spend more money at that store, should the store let me decide to switch to your line and cut in front of you?
Yes, totally! Obviously, our interests will diverge. I'm a PM, and you're a SM. If I were in your shoes, I'd totally make the same argument

And by the way, if Whole Foods had "platinum lines" for express checkout for their best customers only, I think a lot of people on these boards would be precisely the kind of people to sign up for that program -- even to the point of doing a bit of extra shopping to maintain platinum status.

Last edited by Buster CT1K; Dec 10, 2009 at 11:30 am
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by nebraskaboy
Well... I try to play by the clear rules of the game set out by delta - I book my tickets well in advance (usually). I have ony missed one upgrade the entire year in doing this. I book flights on off days/times if possible to increase my chances (not possible for everyone). I only SDC if I can see 'Upgrade Available' listed on Delta.com up to 3 hours before my flight. I figure that i'm making someone happy from my original flight and not really taking anything away from anyone on my new flight!
Spoken like a truly nice Nebraska Boy. I have the same exact approach.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Yes, totally! Obviously, our interests will diverge. I'm a PM, and you're a SM. If I were in your shoes, I'd totally make the same argument
So if you were on a flight that was really full and very PM heavy, and another PM changed their flight from a later flight to yours, and you were bumped into coach, you'd understand perfectly and accept it quietly, under your proposed rules?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I say they should eliminate the upgrades for those who SDC, not the Silver, Gold and other Plats on that flight fault that you no longer like your flight.
I wouldn't go as far as to say eliminate them but I'm fine sitting in coach and giving up my upgrade when I SDC. If you SDC obviously all the upgrade window timeframes have past and if DL was giving away the upgrades in advance then all would have cleared.

I do SDC quite a bit when I see weather coming in. I'd rather get out of town than get a delay and miss a connection or worst. Futhermore, a lot of times I buy the cheap T on a late departure knowing that I can SDC out on an earlier flight. Sometimes this saves me hundreds of $$$. Sometimes I get the upgrade and sometimes I don't. Its a chance I'm willing to take.

Bottom line, if you want a guarantee FC ticket, buy one if its available.

BTW, to the original post, should DL not sell seats on the plane and hold them until an hour before departure on the chance that you have to make last minute travel plans and need a seat?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
So as a PM I was hoping to SDC to an earlier flight this Sunday SEA-JFK. I was hoping DL would save some of those F seats for battlefield upgrades. Unfortunately, Delta has already given every single seat away in F as of the 3-day GM upgrade window!

I do think DL should save one or two seats (just one really is enough) for day-of-departure upgrades, even if the computer thinks they won't be sold. This will enable high-level elites to SDC to those flights and still be upgraded.

OK, I'm sure someone will flame me for moaning and complaining about Delta. But I think this is a reasonable request that will enhance service for DL's best customers. Personally, I am not really bothered by it, and hey, life goes on!
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I am actually sitting here laughing.

This thread is PROOF that "flyertalk" members will never be happy. We have X threads a day saying "It's three days out, there are seats in First and Delta was stingy and didn't give me an upgrade" only to have "Delta gave away too many seats"

Sorry Delta... we are impossible to please! What we want is a system to ensure that we always get upgraded no matter what.....

In the Frequent Flyer's Illustrated Dictionary of Travel Terms, Unabridged Edition, the FT logo is shown in the margin, next to the definition of entitlement.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Essentially, the OP argues that DL is too generous with upgrades because he cannot always get one at the very last moment. That is circular reasoning, IMO.

I am a PM and I frequently SDC. Usually, the upgrade situation works out for me, but if it doesn't, then that was my choice!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by goaliemn
So if you were on a flight that was really full and very PM heavy, and another PM changed their flight from a later flight to yours, and you were bumped into coach, you'd understand perfectly and accept it quietly, under your proposed rules?
Totally! Rules are rules, and if a higher fare PM (or next year a DM) SDCs onto my flight, you won't find me complaining about that.

I respectfully disagree with RobertS975. That is not a correct reading of my argument -- I never said I must "always get one at the very last moment." I was only suggesting that DL hold back some seats. I think we are in violent agreement -- if I don't get upgraded, I don't stomp my feet an scream DYKWIA. It's my choice to SDC. But I can also hope that when I SDC, I still get upgraded

Last edited by Buster CT1K; Dec 10, 2009 at 11:26 am
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by monsrt

BTW, to the original post, should DL not sell seats on the plane and hold them until an hour before departure on the chance that you have to make last minute travel plans and need a seat?
I thought the original post was saying that DL should not issue all of the upgrades until the last minute, but didn't say they shouldn't be sold. Am I wrong on that?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Holding back seats until last minute = upgrade shenanigans.

It doesn't matter if you are Diamond or Platinum, you still won't get the upgrade spaces when you do SDC. NRSAs will get them
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Dear dear dear..... Well, let me just say that today I just did a SDC and guess what? I gave up the upgrade I had received in my original ticket to someone that might have not gotten it, had I not SDC. Either way you look at it, it's a wash!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by shiner
I thought the original post was saying that DL should not issue all of the upgrades until the last minute, but didn't say they shouldn't be sold. Am I wrong on that?
The OP's assumption was made through a prism of self-interest.

As humans, we observe facts and then make up information to fill in the blanks to tell ourselves a story, and we bring our own bias to those stories. Unless we're careful, we assume the made-up part is fact.

In this situation, the OP didn't get an upgrade (the fact) wanted an upgrade (his bias) and decided that meant no seats had been set aside (the made up story). He then bemoans DL to correct an issue that may have never even existed. DL may have already put seats aside that were sold or given to other "more deserving" Medallions, based on pecking order.

Others who may have been booked on that flight but not gotten an UG five days out may be telling themselves the story that ends with DL not being fair in giving out UGs ahead of time.

Bottom line: we all want DL to do what benefits us and sometimes lose sight of the fact that these are benefits, not guarantees. The important thing DL provides us is safe transportation to our destination. The rest is gravy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.