Search

Delta is too generous with upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
+1 ^
+ 2 ^
Simple solution. If you want to leave earlier, book an earlier flight. If for some reason you can't make that flight, change to the later one. Then you can whine about losing the upgrade you had on the original flight.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:29 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Unfortunately, Delta has already given every single seat away in F as of the 3-day GM upgrade window!
You do mean every upgrade seat, correct?

My only gripe is when I want to BUY a first class seat last minute, and there are non available.

With regard to upgrades, as noted above --- I see the points on both sides; but basically a status upgrade is not a guarantee. (as we all know )

I've come to think that perhaps just buying first class seats (or at least y-ups) might be cheaper for some of the folks on the FlyerTalk Delta board.

My reasoning :
If you value your hourly rate @ let us say $250/hour, and you complain about upgrades on FlyerTalk for approximately 40 hours a year --- your free upgrades are costing you around $10,000 per year.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Brick
So now we're complaining about upgrades clearing in advance. Would you like some cheese with that whine?

I'm probably in the minority, but I think when you SDC you should go to the end of the upgrade line regardless of status. Others planned in advance, you didn't. Why should you get special treatment?

How would you like it if you were #1 on the upgrade list for a flight with 1 first class seat left and at the last moment someone with the same status as you but on a higher fare class switches their flight and takes the seat from you? You'd be crying on FT how that's not fair. But as long as you can do that to other people its okay?

I am actually inclined to agree with you on this and I do take into account the fact that I will be losing an upgrade when I consider switching flights. However, it isn't as simple as saying that someone didn't plan in advance - last minute flights are part of many of our lives. If I am a PM who often buys 1-day advance B-fares, does that mean I shouldn't be upgraded until all of the SM's on K-fares have been?

Of course, the elite who got upgraded in the OP's place on the first flight isn't complaining.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:52 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
[QUOTE=Buster CT1K;12958974]So as a PM I was hoping to SDC to an earlier flight this Sunday SEA-JFK. I was hoping DL would save some of those F seats for battlefield upgrades. Unfortunately, Delta has already given every single seat away in F as of the 3-day GM upgrade window!

I do think DL should save one or two seats (just one really is enough) for day-of-departure upgrades, even if the computer thinks they won't be sold. QUOTE]

In a way they do hold some back. They hold them for F sale and release them at the gate if they don't. Looks like DL sold them as they should. What you are asking for, is DL to hold them and not sell them at full fare.

You are over three days out, a lot can change in three days. You still have a good chance as a PM, there will be no shows and change of plans.

Did you check KVS or Expert Flyer or just see that there is no seats showing?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
You are over three days out, a lot can change in three days. You still have a good chance as a PM, there will be no shows and change of plans.

Did you check KVS or Expert Flyer or just see that there is no seats showing?
Does KVS show DL upgrade availability? If it does, I'll buy a membership today.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
When I SDC, I forego certain things (or entitlements one may say). First is the ability to get an upgrade. I'm not taking my original flight, which I took a spot in the upgrade list away from someone else. I chose not to use it. Second is that I don't have an issue with being stuck in the middle seat if that's the only seat available. Bummed out and cramped, probably, but if it gets me where I intended to go at the time I prefer vs. the original, well no complaints from me.
+1, as someone who SDCs on about 75%+ of my flights. (Book the last flight out for the day, don't have to rush with a customer, once I'm done, just head to the airport and go home or to the next stop.)

Just to add one thing...for all you know another eligible PM booked right before you and took an available seat, someone else purchased a full fare ticket, and someone else purchased with miles, but FC cost less than last-minute coach. The held-back seats may have been taken rather than none held back.

OK, adding two things...let's not forget that the UG is something DL offers when available. The important thing - and what you're paying for - is to get from Point A to Point B safely. The middle seat is a risk we all take when we SDC.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I am actually sitting here laughing.

This thread is PROOF that "flyertalk" members will never be happy. We have X threads a day saying "It's three days out, there are seats in First and Delta was stingy and didn't give me an upgrade" only to have "Delta gave away too many seats"

Sorry Delta... we are impossible to please! What we want is a system to ensure that we always get upgraded no matter what.....
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1

This thread is PROOF that "flyertalk" members will never be happy. We have X threads a day saying "It's three days out, there are seats in First and Delta was stingy and didn't give me an upgrade" only to have "Delta gave away too many seats"

Sorry Delta... we are impossible to please! What we want is a system to ensure that we always get upgraded no matter what.....
To be fair, I don't think that it is necessarily the same people who are saying there aren't enough early upgrades and there are too many upgrades. If you mean that collectively Delta will never be able to make all of its customers happy, you'll get no argument from me.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I say they should eliminate the upgrades for those who SDC, not the Silver, Gold and other Plats on that flight fault that you no longer like your flight.
+1 ^

Or at the very least, SDCs should be bottom of the UG list.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1

We have a winner. ^^

David
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: DL MM DM, AA Plat, BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Moebius01
+1 ^

Or at the very least, SDCs should be bottom of the UG list.
I should be at the top of every UG list no matter what time, when purchased, what flight, what fare, or what changes are made to my itin - IRROPS or otherwise. End of discussion!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by anotherATLelite
I should be at the top of every UG list no matter what time, when purchased, what flight, what fare, or what changes are made to my itin - IRROPS or otherwise. End of discussion!
Well, obviously there's one exception. I mean don't we know who you are?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The important thing - and what you're paying for - is to get from Point A to Point B safely.
Even if safely means landing on the taxiway or going from Point A to Point B.5 and the turning around and heading back.

And no, I just couldn't resist. I was actually reminded of an old joke about Amtrak back when they were having several accidents/derailments in the 80s. "Amtrak. Speedy service. Passenger safety. Your choice."
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Oh dear, as the OP all I made was one suggestion for improvement and I got called rather bad names by certain people. I'm not going to get into tit-for-tat with them (although I would issue a general reminder for civility on these boards), but I do stand my ground with my original suggestion.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I think DL should not give upgrades in advance at all.
Everybody gets a ticket to the gate lottery. That way DL gets some more chances at selling that seat and people are actually upgraded according to the well known priority list.

Who cares to know 5 days in advance ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.