Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is too generous with upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Juanefny
Dear dear dear..... Well, let me just say that today I just did a SDC and guess what? I gave up the upgrade I had received in my original ticket to someone that might have not gotten it, had I not SDC. Either way you look at it, it's a wash!
And on Monday, I rushed off a flight from DTW to CLT, ran up to a flight that was boarding to ATL, got a SDC seconds before boarding started and got the UG! Somewhere in the waiting area, someone was certainly upset with me, but I've been on the other side plenty of times, too. (Who would think that to fly DL from DTW to ATL you could have to change planes in CLT?)
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Your analysis is not flawed; however, to correct your statement of facts, the flight hasn't even happened yet. It will be on Sunday - three days hence.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by dickinson
I wonder how the disgruntled former NW Plats would react to this "enhancement" if DL follows the suggestions of several posters on this thread?
What do "disgruntled former NW Plats" have to do with this situation of not getting a BF UG on a SDC ticket?????
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by secretsea18
What do "disgruntled former NW Plats" have to do with this situation of not getting a BF UG on a SDC ticket?????

Maybe you haven't read the flame threads from NW flyers complaining that DL has ruined the perks they formerly enjoyed. The term "best in class" is frequently cited with a certain degree of disdain. If the OP's suggestion is followed by DL, and DL stops being "generous" with upgrades and doesn't clear as many upgrades at the 5, 3, and 1 day windows so that more SDC upgrades can be facilitated, then I would expect the kind of criticism that has been so prevalent on this board from those used to NW policies on upgrades. As many posters on this thread have pointed out, several Medallions actually like having their upgrades clear in advance.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by dickinson
Maybe you haven't read the flame threads from NW flyers complaining that DL has ruined the perks they formerly enjoyed. The term "best in class" is frequently cited with a certain degree of disdain. If the OP's suggestion is followed by DL, and DL stops being "generous" with upgrades and doesn't clear as many upgrades at the 5, 3, and 1 day windows so that more SDC upgrades can be facilitated, then I would expect the kind of criticism that has been so prevalent on this board from those used to NW policies on upgrades. As many posters on this thread have pointed out, several Medallions actually like having their upgrades clear in advance.
What? I don't even begin to understand why ex-NW flyers would be more upset about this (entirely hypothetical) change than old-DL flyers.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:46 pm

delta is too generous with upgrades? ??? no, its not.

It is a good program, but right now I have multiple flights tomorrow and no upgrades
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SamOF
What? I don't even begin to understand why ex-NW flyers would be more upset about this (entirely hypothetical) change than old-DL flyers.
Where in my posts did I say this? I never said that I believed that they would be more upset than DL flyers. But they have not been reticent on their dissatisfaction with the SM program and its recent "enhancements", in fact my observation is that some have been extremely critical. My posts were NOT a criticism of ex-NW flyers. Simply an opinion that reducing or doing away with upgrades at the windows would undoubtably be criticized, and could be another way to irritate and drive away ex-NW flyers. Just my opinion, of course.
Do you understand now, or should I explain it further?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:36 am

Delta is good on upgrades, but not nearly as good as NW was. Having regularly flown NW, CO, US and DL, it seems that DL holds back the most seats for battlefield upgrades.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
this just seems like a silly thread.....
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by socrates
this just seems like a silly thread.....
Well, it started as an interesting topic of discussion. Where it went from there is just.... well, pretty par for the course.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
One area DL has it just right!

I SDC a lot. Pay for my own tickets, so unless I see a big oversold threat, I'll take the cheapest routing for my day of travel, and SDC as need be. Sometimes the UG happens on my SDC flights, sometimes not. Whatever way it works out, it was a consequence of my decisions and strategy, so I can only whine at myself about the outcome.

The UA system does not work as well. As a 1K, I'll invariably clear the standby list, but U/G priority goes behind everyone else currently on the U/G list for that flight, regardless of status. Still, if I chose to go earlier standby (later is problematic on UA unlike the max same day flexibility given by DL SDC) it was also my decision, my consequences.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta - Silver, Intercontinental - Ex Plat
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
When I SDC, I forego certain things (or entitlements one may say). First is the ability to get an upgrade. I'm not taking my original flight, which I took a spot in the upgrade list away from someone else. I chose not to use it. Second is that I don't have an issue with being stuck in the middle seat if that's the only seat available. Bummed out and cramped, probably, but if it gets me where I intended to go at the time I prefer vs. the original, well no complaints from me.

I look at it this way, I'm already probably bumping some other lower elite or general member one down the list just trying to get a seat. I shouldn't expect to trump others just because I changed my mind.

That's independent of how Inventory Management deals with giving out the upgrades in advance. They do their own sort of voodoo calculations but my principles on SDC upgrades remain the same.
^
a rare voice of reasoning in the 4 page long thread. Its simple, you snooze (and wait till the last minute to decide how and when you want to go) you lose. Sorry..

- butlers
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:49 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
To the OP you are entitled to your opinion so no flame throwing here but in case DL is reading this thread I am happy with the current process for both SDC and UGs. When I SDC, I make the decision assuming no UG will occur but may try to choose a flight that has a better chance of the UG clearing if the timing reasonable.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Yes, I will echo this. the NW-Delta upgrade change is about the 'revenue' on the ticket.
My coleague who is Gold with a higher priced ticket gets the ATL upgrade over my Plt status on the MSP flights. So the new Diamonds will get bumped by the high revenue Plt holders in 2010 from MSP orgins
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Personally, I am happy if/when I get an UG, but understand it's not a guaranty. I even understand it's human nature to think the policy is great when I get an UG and it's wrong when I don't get an UG. Whatever the policy, I'll live with it.

The only thing I ask is that the policy be very clear and consistently used. If I don't get an upgrade because I didn't qualify per the published procedure, it's understandable. If I don't get an upgrade because the procedure what not followed so that a non-rev or other uneligible pax gets ahead of me, then I'm irked.

Nothing's more frustrating than waiting until the end of boarding, not being cleared, told you have to get on the plane, seeing the empty seat and watching a DL employee with badge on neck who was in the gate area when you boarded ultimately take the seat on a cross-country flight. (It wasn't me, as I wasn't first on the list, but the guy who waited wound up sitting across the aisle from me and was, rightfully, very agitated.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.