Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New DTW-HNL nonstop starting June 2 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA

In addition to new SAN-HNL with the 757, DL will be starting new nonstop DTW-HNL A333 service 3x weekly on June 2 2010:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-....html?x=0&.v=1
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:30 pm
azj

Aw! You beat me to it! I've been bursting at the seams with this news after I read the update on Deltanet. But respecting the rules, I contained myself. The drawback to this announcement however, is that it looks like MSP will operate 4 x weekly and share this plane. I guess it's better than nothing. So... any bets on when JFK-HNL will be announced? Maybe when they announce the LGA stuff. We'll see I guess...
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
So will it have business elite meal service like the JFK-LAX routes or CO's EWR-HNL? Or just standard domestic FC meal service?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Lets go JFK!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...bility-dl.html
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
So when will Hawaii flights become eligible for upgrades?!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:35 pm

9:23 am.....Delta CFO Halter urges airlines maintain capacity restraint at investor conference.

1:52 pm..... Delta announces new SAN/DTW - HNL service additions.

Classic.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm surprised they're putting that much capacity onto the route. I was hoping for a 767-300ER daily, but this is way better than 757s DTW-SEA/SFO/LAX-HNL.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by doobierw
9:23 am.....Delta CFO Halter urges airlines maintain capacity restraint at investor conference.

Classic.
Capacity restraint is something asked of others. Like chastity.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Its nice to see DL is more capacity growth DTW-HNL nonstop on operated A333 aircraft. It will have to be split the weekly frequency from MSP-HNL is only 4 times of weeks and so be in DTW will be only for 3 times of weeks. It will be separate the frequencies. I remember where NW has been discontinuation around 2004 due to schedules change or retiring older DC-10 aircraft. Do you really think NW will have to be reductions the schedules from MSP-HNL in the summer?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

Classic.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
So will it have business elite meal service like the JFK-LAX routes or CO's EWR-HNL? Or just standard domestic FC meal service?
Come on, you already know the answer Of course despite the fact that this flight will be about 3 hours LONGER than JFK/LAX the upfront service will be standard "best in class" domestic junk. What a joke DL. Although I will give them props for returning the DTW/HNL route albeit only a few days a week.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Good to see that it's coming back. Only if we still get those Hawaii Elite upgrade certs next year when programs are combined...I can only hope!

Are we still getting those Hawaii Elite upgrade certs that NW gives out every year to its Hawaii based elites?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by netfishpanda
Good to see that it's coming back.
Indeed, though at the expense of the HNL-MSP, so really just that then flying some days will be via MSP, while others via DTW (still beats Atlanta either way).

And still from DTW leaving just a tad too early to make connections from Europe. That is now the biggest problem with DL/NW: unlike CO, with whom convenient reasonable layover (1.5-4 hour) flights to EU are possible via EWR (HNL-EWR-___(EU city) and vice versa back) both ways, with DL on the way back there is no way to do it without spending the night in Atlanta, thus making it for a nearly 24 hour longer travel time with DL vs CO. And on the way to EU also with DL spending a whole day (~6am to ~6pm usually) in ATL, vs. with CO just a few hours reasonable layover in EWR. HNL to EU on DL is two nights and two days. EU to HNL on DL is two days and one night. On CO on the way back is just one day (due to the favourable time difference), with properly spaced connections. But DL seems to not get the concept of connecting passengers within an hour or two and not 24 hour layover and putting the ATL-HNL (and DTW-HNL, MSP-HNL) flights leaving at a time so that same day connections can be made (just some two hours later leaving is all it'd take, like CO does it). Now with any DL routing 23h__m layover in ATL or MSP connections are typical.

Originally Posted by netfishpanda
Are we still getting those Hawaii Elite upgrade certs that NW gives out every year to its Hawaii based elites?
99% likely no. When I redeemed my last one PU464 two months ago I asked and was told that "highly unlikely" that Delta would do it. So seems to be the general consensus: extremely unlikely. Honestly, it's likely one of those things that Delta doesn't even realize that NW had. Well, may be when they start losing their top fliers and top revenue customers from Hawaii that they will.. but likely not even that, as if you are not in Atlanta, you seem to not matter to Delta.

Last edited by RealHJ; Dec 2, 2009 at 3:59 pm
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Classic.
The service to Hawaii is welcomed by me, yet I too find the above post appropriately notes classic Delta: DL management using words to mislead others while charting whatever course DL management has already determined to be suitable for itself (even if not for others).
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
At the end of the day, it seems that there is no additional capacity here. It will just be split between MSP and DTW, rather than running a daily flight from MSP.

That being said, airline executives tend to be very hypocritical. DL announces an elaborate Summer 2010 international schedule this past weekend, yet preaches capacity restraints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.