FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New DTW-HNL nonstop starting June 2 2010
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:50 pm
RealHJ

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by netfishpanda
Good to see that it's coming back.
Indeed, though at the expense of the HNL-MSP, so really just that then flying some days will be via MSP, while others via DTW (still beats Atlanta either way).

And still from DTW leaving just a tad too early to make connections from Europe. That is now the biggest problem with DL/NW: unlike CO, with whom convenient reasonable layover (1.5-4 hour) flights to EU are possible via EWR (HNL-EWR-___(EU city) and vice versa back) both ways, with DL on the way back there is no way to do it without spending the night in Atlanta, thus making it for a nearly 24 hour longer travel time with DL vs CO. And on the way to EU also with DL spending a whole day (~6am to ~6pm usually) in ATL, vs. with CO just a few hours reasonable layover in EWR. HNL to EU on DL is two nights and two days. EU to HNL on DL is two days and one night. On CO on the way back is just one day (due to the favourable time difference), with properly spaced connections. But DL seems to not get the concept of connecting passengers within an hour or two and not 24 hour layover and putting the ATL-HNL (and DTW-HNL, MSP-HNL) flights leaving at a time so that same day connections can be made (just some two hours later leaving is all it'd take, like CO does it). Now with any DL routing 23h__m layover in ATL or MSP connections are typical.

Originally Posted by netfishpanda
Are we still getting those Hawaii Elite upgrade certs that NW gives out every year to its Hawaii based elites?
99% likely no. When I redeemed my last one PU464 two months ago I asked and was told that "highly unlikely" that Delta would do it. So seems to be the general consensus: extremely unlikely. Honestly, it's likely one of those things that Delta doesn't even realize that NW had. Well, may be when they start losing their top fliers and top revenue customers from Hawaii that they will.. but likely not even that, as if you are not in Atlanta, you seem to not matter to Delta.

Last edited by RealHJ; Dec 2, 2009 at 3:59 pm