Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

30-day Delta Sky Club Membership — No Longer Available: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30-day Delta Sky Club Membership — No Longer Available: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Where do you see that rule? From the website:
It's just been my experience, particularly with partner lounges.

There is also this...near the end of the reverse side, it mentions that partner lounges require same-day DL or partner travel.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1926...guide_2011.pdf

For whatever reason, I've had issues with the 30-day pass when not traveling DL, but I still highly recommend it...great way to try out the SCs without paying the full membership rate.

I once used a 30-day to get into the Air France lounge at CDG 2E. That was a great experience...even had a massage when I was there!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
The 30 day Delta membership is valid in DJ lounges in conjunction with a DJ flight, which is a nice side benefit if you have any domestic trips in the 30 day period.) You may only get one guest in DJ lounges; not sure about that.
Unfortunately no. We are driving Canb-Syd and flying out from there. I did notice you could use them at Virgin lounges.

Originally Posted by ashill
Not only can you not transit between terminals at LAX easily, you can't enter a terminal at all if you don't have a boarding pass for that terminal. So, given that you're arriving on Southwest, you won't be able to easily access either the Delta lounge (T5) or the Air France terminal (T2), as you don't have a flight out of T2 or T5. A Sky Club membership doesn't get you into any TBIT (the terminal Air Pacific flies out of) lounges.
That's a bugger. Given we have 10 hrs or so in LAX are we better ditching the Southwest flight (it was really cheap so no great drama) and looking for one on Delta so we can access the right terminal?

Is there any other passes that will allow us to access a lounge in the terminal Air pacific flies out of?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by yarrowfell
That's a bugger. Given we have 10 hrs or so in LAX are we better ditching the Southwest flight (it was really cheap so no great drama) and looking for one on Delta so we can access the right terminal?

Is there any other passes that will allow us to access a lounge in the terminal Air pacific flies out of?
What about something like Priority Pass? Plans vary, so it may or may not fit your needs.

Seems silly to change your flights just for a meh lounge experience at LAX. Instead, exit the terminal and go have drinks at Encounter while you watch the planes. Or if you'll be there on a weekend, you can go to the observation deck for free. Or rent a car and drive to the Getty.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
Seems silly to change your flights just for a meh lounge experience at LAX.
+1

Don't confuse any US airline lounge with the Qantas Club. The lounge is a much more relaxing place to hang out than the terminal and has showers, free (slow) wifi, and OK but not great drinks and small snacks, but that's about it. Definitely not worth changing your flight plans for the lounge alone. LA is far from my favorite big city, but much better to get out of the airport than find an airline lounge.

Now, if you can find a flight on Southwest or a different airline (including Delta) that gives you a shorter layover and also gets you into a terminal with lounge access, that would be worth considering (with the usual caveats about you being in trouble if your flight is delayed and leads to a missed connection, given that your long haul flight is on a different ticket). Remember that Southwest has no change fees in advance but no free way to change your flights on the day of the flight.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
What about something like Priority Pass? Plans vary, so it may or may not fit your needs.

Seems silly to change your flights just for a meh lounge experience at LAX. Instead, exit the terminal and go have drinks at Encounter while you watch the planes. Or if you'll be there on a weekend, you can go to the observation deck for free. Or rent a car and drive to the Getty.
+1. Just so you're aware, yarrowfell, DL's domestic lounges are not that great. Their big selling points are drinks, light snacks, wifi, and a place to sit. I strongly emphasize that they only offer light snacks, nothing on par with non-US carriers' food offerings. Also, depending on the time of day, the lounges may be extremely full to the point that finding three seats together would be difficult.

Another option for your layover in LAX would be In-n-Out, a burger chain. After consuming any of their food, your arteries will instantly harden, but the taste is worth it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you arrive into LAX in T5-T6 (or other terminals with airside connections, IIRC all of the terminals on that side of TBIT), for example on DL or Alaska, you can use both the Boardroom in T6 and the DL SC in T5, which is one of the better domestic SCs. There's a SkyTeam lounge in TBIT, but I don't think it accepts the 30 day membership. Priority Pass has lounges in most terminals at LAX.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:30 pm

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. I guess for an Aussie with no status on any airline the idea of a lounge is kind of cool.

You have given me lots to think about.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
30-Day Sky Club

Will be doing a string of flights over the course of a week and wanted to get your take on whether or not you felt a 30-day pass was "worth it." The layovers are relatively short and I'm not sure whether or not I'd find it beneficial.

Also, from what I've read I wouldn't be eligible for any clubs in PIT and the club in SFO is not airside. :-/

I'd probably end up buying a one day pass (via eBay approx $25) for a shower on one of these days so the net additional cost is $65 ($56 if I can use the 10% promo code on a 30-day pass).

JFK 2:20
SFO 7:48 (probably wouldn't need, venturing outside)
PIT 2:20 (no access)
JFK 2:23
SFO 1:40
PIT 3:06 (no access)
ATL 1:34

Last edited by MichaelKade; Jul 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
I spent several months using day passes (5 for $99) and finally decided to bite the bullet and bought a membership. I used to wonder if I should burn a pass on a particular day or not.

Best $300 I've spent on Delta. I find myself using it all the time, even for a quick stop on short connections. Check to see if the value of the 30-day pass can be rolled into the purchase of a year pass.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
30-Day Sky Club

Amex platinum would be better for you. $450 annual fee but you can get $200 back in airline fees in both 2012 and 2013 (before renewal comes up).

Net cost $50 if you can front the 450.

Not only gets you delta when you fly them, but you can use the us air club in Pitt all the time.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I spent several months using day passes (5 for $99) and finally decided to bite the bullet and bought a membership. I used to wonder if I should burn a pass on a particular day or not.

Best $300 I've spent on Delta. I find myself using it all the time, even for a quick stop on short connections. Check to see if the value of the 30-day pass can be rolled into the purchase of a year pass.
It can, but I rarely connect. My flights are generally ex-ATL directs...Not sure I'd ever use it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by r.brown
Amex platinum would be better for you. $450 annual fee but you can get $200 back in airline fees in both 2012 and 2013 (before renewal comes up).

Net cost $50 if you can front the 450.

Not only gets you delta when you fly them, but you can use the us air club in Pitt all the time.
Thought about this too but I don't have any airline fees to pay... Work comps baggage (on the rare occasion I have it) and cant think of anything else I'd need it for...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would say yes. You have a bunch of waits over two hours. Also, for the long period at SFO, you can use the SC briefly upon arrival and again before departure. One way to think about it is to estimate that you would otherwise pay for F&B at the airport during some of these trips, probably sometimes buying coffee, a snack, and/or a drink just to have a decent place to sit and perhaps use WiFi. However, it does depend somewhat on what you would consume in the SC and from outside vendors.

I don't know whether the thirty day pass is good at Oasis in JFK T4 land side, but if it is, be sure to check out this very pleasant lounge with lots of food choices (beyond just snacks).
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
And not just lay-overs, don't forget departures/arrivals, when using the clubs...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
And not just lay-overs, don't forget departures/arrivals, when using the clubs...
Exactly. I've never had problems using SCs as arrival lounges when it's helpful, even if just for a glass or water or to use the lav.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.