Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta 2010 DO Update

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

What atldlff said is correct.

Furthermore, what we are thinking of doing is to announce the opening of registration on the official Internet web site at least one to two weeks prior to activating it. Doing so will give everyone time to get ready to register and have a chance to attend the event this year. Those who pay first when they register and confirm will be first to select the events which they choose to attend.

Unless someone thinks of a better solution, this may be the fairest way to handle the official registration process.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Furthermore, what we are thinking of doing is to announce the opening of registration on the official Internet web site at least one to two weeks prior to activating it. Doing so will give everyone time to get ready to register and have a chance to attend the event this year. Those who pay first when they register and confirm will be first to select the events which they choose to attend.

Unless someone thinks of a better solution, this may be the fairest way to handle the official registration process.
What that will do is convert all those interested into virtual gate lice as none will want to take the chance of missing out on his favorite event(s). It will also be unfair to those who live in whatever time zone is the middle of the night when the registration process begins.

I suggest doing the following:

1. Announce the dates of the Meet one week before official registration begins.

2. During that week, each person on the list or the waiting list will have to announce what event(s) he wants to attend. His priority will be determined by his number on the list. (I suggest a full week because not everyone visits FT every day and, because for people like me who will be traveling a great distance, it will give us plenty of time to make the best travel arrangements.)

3. After one week, those who get the spots they are interested in will have another week to pay. If they don't pay by the end of that second week, they are off the list and replaced by those on the waiting list (in order of their place on that list).
Old May 3, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd

This sounds very fair. +1.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Dovster
What that will do is convert all those interested into virtual gate lice as none will want to take the chance of missing out on his favorite event(s). It will also be unfair to those who live in whatever time zone is the middle of the night when the registration process begins.

I suggest doing the following:

1. Announce the dates of the Meet one week before official registration begins.

2. During that week, each person on the list or the waiting list will have to announce what event(s) he wants to attend. His priority will be determined by his number on the list. (I suggest a full week because not everyone visits FT every day and, because for people like me who will be traveling a great distance, it will give us plenty of time to make the best travel arrangements.)

3. After one week, those who get the spots they are interested in will have another week to pay. If they don't pay by the end of that second week, they are off the list and replaced by those on the waiting list (in order of their place on that list).
I would also suggest that for the payment system--while a paypal is a good idea, there are probably some out there who would (for some odd reason) like to write a paper check or pay cash--that there should be the ability to pay with a non-electronic form...
Old May 3, 2010, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by fgirard
I would also suggest that for the payment system--while a paypal is a good idea, there are probably some out there who would (for some odd reason) like to write a paper check or pay cash--that there should be the ability to pay with a non-electronic form...
This baffles my mind. With paypal you can also pay via credit card, and thus earn miles
Old May 3, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by ifette
This baffles my mind. With paypal you can also pay via credit card, and thus earn miles
But, I'm sure there are some who for whatever reason, like to pay by check...

...There always seems to be one within a group...

...myself, on the other hand prefers to pay by plastic as it is much, much convenient and less risk of fraud...
Old May 3, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by fgirard
But, I'm sure there are some who for whatever reason, like to pay by check...

...There always seems to be one within a group...

...myself, on the other hand prefers to pay by plastic as it is much, much convenient and less risk of fraud...
+1.. Love that plastic check...
Old May 3, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
If my schedule allows, I'd be interested in attending this event even though I am not flying Delta so much this year. It's great to see some Delta folks willing to donate their time to such an event for their costomers.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ifette
Are you certain about that? It seems to me that this would be like taking cash from an ATM, for which there are no points.
Old May 4, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United Silver, Aegean Silver, Avis First
Are you certain about that? It seems to me that this would be like taking cash from an ATM, for which there are no points.
I get miles for Paypal transactions.

Is it too late to get on the wait-list?
Old May 4, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Paypal essentially charges merchant fees for members who receive payments via credit card. That part is reasonable, but they charge those members the same fees for a payment that comes from a checking account. Hence the reason that Paypal is profitable.

When I paid atldlff last year, I added about 3% to my payment to allow for the fees.

David
Old May 4, 2010, 6:34 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
You can add me to the waitlist
I am also willing to volunteer and can help with setup if needed, I'm just down the road.
Tom
Old May 4, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM (where is my Diamond Tiara?)
Originally Posted by atldlff
(then again, there are SOME that just can’t get enough of a water ditch!).
(said in my best Robert De Niro voice)

You talkin' to me?
Old May 4, 2010, 8:21 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Hey, atldlff

Should we once again ask Clear to sponsor a portion of the event this year?
Old May 4, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE

As long as there is a specific time that registration is open and everyone is permitted to register at exactly that time, registration basically becomes a random event, effectively eliminating the current sign up list (for better or for worse). Additionally, I hope the system has been load tested if it's going to be hit by 100+ people at exactly the same time. (Yes, I know 100+ isn't a large number, but it could be if this is a new custom app.) I'm not saying this is good or bad.

Another option could include first opening registration to the "confirmed" attendees, then to the "waitlisted" ones.

The fairest option is probably to issue random numbers to all interested FTers, then allow registration in roughly the SW boarding style (fixed size groups). This also accounts for people who didn't see any announcement as soon as it was posted, or who can't make the exact time registration opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.