Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's Unchallenged Exploitation of Africa Comes to an End

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's Unchallenged Exploitation of Africa Comes to an End

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Perhaps it would, but I'm not certain that a 787-8 will have the range to fly IAH-SYD nonstop. The 787-9 should be able to make IAH-SYD, so wait a few more years.
It will be interesting to see how CO uses its 787's to challenge several of Delta's unique routes, esp. once the merger is complete. The Houston oil routes and DC gov't heavy routes are an obvious start.

Didn't DL cancel its 787 orders...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL - News) today announced plans to launch new daily nonstop flights between Houston and Lagos, Nigeria
Congrats on starting something that they should've done 20yrs ago...

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
What's the rationale for Auckland?
The primary hub for their S.Pacific partner, for one thing.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by phatpaw
Maybe you missed the first page of this thread.
Don't care about the first page, I care about the post which I was responding to.

Have a great day.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jun 14, 2010 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Is the primary traffic business passengers traveling for oil-related matters?
Oil-industry traffic is part of the equation, but only a part of it. There is also other business traffic and a lot of leisure traffic, primarily from a large Nigerian community that does VFR travel.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Air Brian
It will be interesting to see how CO uses its 787's to challenge several of Delta's unique routes, esp. once the merger is complete.
True, though keep in mind that by the time this flight starts (and that's predicated on the assumption that it does start on time, this *is* Nigeria that we're dealing with)... CO will likely have total access to UA's eqp.

So while a 787 is the likely choice, one of UA's 744s, or one of CO's 656K 772ERs, could also quite easily get the job done. UA's 772ERs could op the route too, but not as effectively as the aforementioned.

Originally Posted by Air Brian
Didn't DL cancel its 787 orders.
No. They forfeited their slots, but didn't cancel the order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.