Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's Unchallenged Exploitation of Africa Comes to an End

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's Unchallenged Exploitation of Africa Comes to an End

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by naijaman
You are quite psycho to think that the Accra route was reserved solely for passengers from that Accra alone. Accra is the capital city in Ghana and the major international airport. Just like assuming all passengers on an LAX-SYD flight are from the LA area...geez!!! get informed dude or dudette, whichever one you......

Where is Vermont actually? Is that in Canada? How the Ghanaian passengers plan to pay their airfare is nunya.....the reported average income is only statistics from God knows when and where.....I have been in ACC and folks spend cash/money and not CREDIT like some they do Vermont.

Pbarnette - another one of the "ugly americans" as they say are called in europe......FAIL!!
I think Pb lives in Europe, from the tone of her messages. "Nunya"? You sure are an articulate individual. Can you cite statistics as the the ratio of cash:credit spending in Vermont? If not, you need to "get informed." I've spent much of my life in Africa and am happy to report that I've never met anyone like you, save in some governmental ministries.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Doesn't this mean UA would need to have almost 100% market share to fill daily 777 service? I mean, 200k seems like a huge number, but it should be kept in perspective. I suspect that this goes a long way to explaining why they are tacking on two cities to this flight. I would be shocked if much more than 25% of the pax on this flight get off in ACC, and even that would be pretty impressive market share.
For starters it is a daily 767 rather than a daily 777, so a slight adjustment there. More interestingly though, and please forgive me if I am beginning to sound a bit academic here, demand to/from Accra is so highly seasonal and directional that the annual curve is almost "W" shaped. In reality, the "available demand" for a single airline in tha market is calculated by deducting the spillage during peak demand period from the total demand. This amounts to approximately 12% of the total market, so in reality the potential target market is only in the range of 175k rather than 200k, as the remaining 25k passengers want to travel at a time where the aircraft is already full - and there is insufficient demand in the opposite direction to warrant a larger aircraft or additional frequency.

Most models will see United earning about 25% of the Accra market in the first year, with about 45% going to Delta and the remainder with indirect carriers. As such, my estimate is on United lifting around 45k roundtrip passengers on the Accra route in their first year of operations, leaving the remaining 70% of capacity to be filled from Lagos. This assumes that there is no significant impact of beyond/behind connections on the Accra end of the route. Of course, this doesn't take into account how United YM is going to allocate preferential capacity vis-a-vis Accra and Lagos which in turn may skew numbers either way.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Security risks and costs?? give me a break!!! European and Arab Airline crews sleep overnight in Nigeria....Geez!!
English can be a wonderful language if read closely.

If you will re-read my post, you will note that I said "perception" of security risks and costs. Whether it is true or not that Nigeria is particularly dangerous, the perception is there.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: Starwood
nunya!!!

Originally Posted by Air Brian
I think Pb lives in Europe, from the tone of her messages. "Nunya"? You sure are an articulate individual. Can you cite statistics as the the ratio of cash:credit spending in Vermont? If not, you need to "get informed." I've spent much of my life in Africa and am happy to report that I've never met anyone like you, save in some governmental ministries.
how articulate i am is "nunya".....does that sound any better? i went to high school in Nashville, maybe thats the reason

"spent much of your life in africa" and so??? please reveal how long and what locations. Being connected to the elite in west africa is definitely not my fault, but a privilege.
i was specifically talking about Ghana/western africa.....western TV may not show the best parts of Africa or how the average west african lives, but I have seen and travelled extensively within west africa, and I can compare them to the credit stricken folks in vermont...lol!!! okay, excluding the lack of power, good road networks, etc....uhmm, i might really "need to get informed"....lol

credit system is a modern financial jail.....lol
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
English can be a wonderful language if read closely.

If you will re-read my post, you will note that I said "perception" of security risks and costs. Whether it is true or not that Nigeria is particularly dangerous, the perception is there.
sorry i did not have my contacts on......
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL
I'm really surprised that UA is entering the Africa market.

1,200th post!

Last edited by tjisnumbaone; Nov 7, 2009 at 1:47 pm Reason: 1,200th post!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by hfly
Per capita incomes mean absolutely nothing when speaking of a subject such as this.......
Very true...if anything, some of the world's highest international airfares routinely involve travel to/from countries with low per capita incomes. Luanda, Angola is a good example of this.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
"Exploitation" is certainly a word I would have never used to describe Delta's service to Africa.
I think inflammatory is better to describe the OP's post title
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think inflammatory is better to describe the OP's post title
Do some research & reading and you'll learn otherwise. It's a reference to some wacky news items & accusations that have originated in Nigeria with regard to Delta.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Isnt it a shame that UA wants to make money off nigerians but is not willing to invest in the Nigerian economy...........I may have to call the Nigerian Aviation Minister on this matter, He sure knows how to cause drama with these American Airlines.....lol!!!!
When you call him, please ask him where my fifty million dollars is.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
The crusade against the unchallenged exploitation of Africa by Wing of Satan Delta Air Lines has been taken to another level:

HOUSTON, June 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL - News) today announced plans to launch new daily nonstop flights between Houston and Lagos, Nigeria, beginning Nov. 10, 2011, subject to government approval. It will be the first daily scheduled service offered between Texas and Africa by any carrier.

Lagos will be Continental's first destination in Africa and the 30th city in its trans-Atlantic route network. It is the second new international destination announced in the last month that will be served nonstop from Houston, Continental's largest hub. Continental currently serves 63 international destinations nonstop from Houston and recently announced plans to begin nonstop service between Houston and Auckland beginning Nov. 16, 2011, subject to government approval.

With the addition of flights to Africa, Houston will become one of just four cities in the world – and the only city in the Western Hemisphere – to have nonstop service to every inhabited continent on the globe.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Contin....html?x=0&.v=1
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The crusade against the unchallenged exploitation of Africa by Wing of Satan Delta Air Lines has been taken to another level:

HOUSTON, June 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL - News) today announced plans to launch new daily nonstop flights between Houston and Lagos, Nigeria, beginning Nov. 10, 2011, subject to government approval. It will be the first daily scheduled service offered between Texas and Africa by any carrier.
Is the primary traffic business passengers traveling for oil-related matters?

Lagos will be Continental's first destination in Africa and the 30th city in its trans-Atlantic route network. It is the second new international destination announced in the last month that will be served nonstop from Houston, Continental's largest hub. Continental currently serves 63 international destinations nonstop from Houston and recently announced plans to begin nonstop service between Houston and Auckland beginning Nov. 16, 2011, subject to government approval.
What's the rationale for Auckland? Wouldn't SYD be more appropriate?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Yeah, the Wing of Satan is really in big trouble now. Brings me to the verge of an enormous :-: :-: BEST IN CLASS :-: :-: yawn.

Chances are excellent this route (and IAH-AKL) will not fly as announced.

The "unchallenged exploitation" assertion is false anyway, as UA is starting service to Accra in less than a week. Maybe you somehow missed the flood of press releases

http://biztravelguru.com/blogs/airli...to-africa.aspx

David
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Yeah, the Wing of Satan is really in big trouble now. Brings me to the verge of an enormous :-: :-: BEST IN CLASS :-: :-: yawn.

Chances are excellent this route (and IAH-AKL) will not fly as announced.

The "unchallenged exploitation" assertion is false anyway, as UA is starting service to Accra in less than a week. Maybe you somehow missed the flood of press releases

http://biztravelguru.com/blogs/airli...to-africa.aspx

David
Maybe you missed the first page of this thread.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
What's the rationale for Auckland? Wouldn't SYD be more appropriate?
Perhaps it would, but I'm not certain that a 787-8 will have the range to fly IAH-SYD nonstop. The 787-9 should be able to make IAH-SYD, so wait a few more years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.