Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CO poaching DL/NW Elites, SkyClub/WC members..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO poaching DL/NW Elites, SkyClub/WC members..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
That's a slippery slope as far as I'm concerned. I don't want them to charge me for anything in there. After all, I would not want to be charged on board a plane either.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Just left the CO lounge at LAS; figured I'd stop in before the reciprocal arrangement ended. I wasn't sure if it was done on Oct 1 or Oct 24, so I asked upon arrival if they still let NW rejects in. I was promptly handed a flyer offering to match my NW/DL status over to CO, and another flyer offering me (but no guests) admission to CO President's Clubs through 1/31 and, if I wanted, a CO President's club membership with the $50 initiation fee waived AND at the price level that corresponds to my DL elite level (so, as a Plat, I would get the same price CO plats get).

What I found especially intersting, on top of the availability of real cheese and the presence of a toaster for bagels (although no bagels since it was post 11 AM) and a healthy selection of chips and other snacks was CO's answer to lounge revenue generation - the availability of premium alcohol for a fee. (They still had complimentary alcohol as well.) So instead of taking DL's approach of stripping out value, they found a way to ADD value that people might pay for. They even tied it into their CC program - $3 off the premium drinks with the CO-branded CC.

See that DL? Generate more money out of your lounge program by providing MORE value, not LESS value.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
really? that's interesting - I'm contemplating matching from AA EXP.
CO really grants CO Platinum status to AA EXP and DL Platinum customers seeking a status match with it.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1M, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
DFW Presidents Club experience

I was in the DFW Presidents Club and was immediately offer the flyer about matching and the Presidents Club pricing structure offer. I was offered to do the status match on the spot! I decided to wait as I will be making Platinum in a couple of weeks.

Entered the club and there was REAL FOOD! Major flashback to the WorldClub and was just reminded how BAD the SkyClub truly is.

Once I earn Platinum, I will be asking for that comp and more than likely moving my flying to Continental.

Good move on the part of Continental to go after the DL Elites. DL is surely not doing anything to make me feel welcome!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:32 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Very interesting! I would now try to hit Gold this year and have it matched. primarily because of four reasons:

- bad performance at TXL, FRA, and MUC (FO's seem to be just excess baggage)
- AF ... they announce this tight coop and I am one of the poor guys who is rebooked on a dreadful ATL-CDG ... why me?!
- I have the possibility to totally avoid JFK, which I don't have right now from my home airport
- all and every award ticket booking for me was with CO! They were the only ST partner with reasonably SM pricing

Are there any details available on how CO is integrating into the *A?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by mike_plat
CO emphatically does not upgrade coach award seats.
Is this going to be any different from DL? How many people really expect to get an award upgrade on DL...after they go thru the DM, PM, GM, SM oh wait a minute Mr. Monsrt, we just upgradded your award ticket. Got to see this one to believe it
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:58 pm

Programs: NW Plat (Million Miler), CO PLT, SPG Plat, Hertz Five Star
I was at the P Club at Terminal E at IAH at 6 am on Saturday morning after the red-eye flight in from LA. When I mentioned this was most likley my last time as a DL elite coming there, the agent handed me the pamphlet on both status match and lounge membership and said, "Sir, we hope this isn't goodbye but is just one of a lot more trips you make here." CO flight crew into Austin took the time to say "goodbye" also and even the Captain said hope to have me join OnePass if I can.

This in contrast to the chaos of ATL Skyclub on Sunday and getting faulty information from the Delta PLT line that resulted in me spending half a day trying to get on a flight back to LA.

Not that CO is perfect, but DL isn't making things easy in deciding what to do.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by raehl311
Just left the CO lounge at LAS...

What I found especially intersting, on top of the availability of real cheese and the presence of a toaster for bagels (although no bagels since it was post 11 AM) and a healthy selection of chips and other snacks was CO's answer to lounge revenue generation - the availability of premium alcohol for a fee. (They still had complimentary alcohol as well.) So instead of taking DL's approach of stripping out value, they found a way to ADD value that people might pay for. They even tied it into their CC program - $3 off the premium drinks with the CO-branded CC.

See that DL? Generate more money out of your lounge program by providing MORE value, not LESS value.
I recently paid a visit myself. I too find it interesting that CO, Alaska (and NW) are/were able to offer real cheese, decent snacks, etc. for about or less than the same price as DL want's for the SkyClubs.

I also agree that they can generate more money out of their lounge program by providing MORE value, not LESS value. I spent $24 on two glasses of champagne in the CO lounge, but DL's SkyClubs make me want to spend less and less time there.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CO really grants CO Platinum status to AA EXP and DL Platinum customers seeking a status match with it.
They matched my status last week and I have no CO FF miles.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Just entered the PC club in EWR. As I handed my SkyClub card to the guy, I said this was probably coming to an end soon. ( hint, hint, offer me the status match and discounted PC membership)

Not a word from this guy. No good morning, no thank you, zip, zilch, nada.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Feather Man
Just entered the PC club in EWR. As I handed my SkyClub card to the guy, I said this was probably coming to an end soon. ( hint, hint, offer me the status match and discounted PC membership)

Not a word from this guy. No good morning, no thank you, zip, zilch, nada.
What'd you expect? It is New Jersey, you're lucky he didn't get in your face about coming from DL.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:47 pm

Just thought I would add my experience.
I fly out of CLE mostly, so you would assume CO is my airline of choice, but because of an experience with a nightmare flight from MSY and then really bad customer service, I haven't flown continental in a long time even if it meant crj's for the first segment.

I have to say, I am not really disenfranchised with Delta, because it does work with my needs. I saw this thread and said what the heck, forwarded my delta email statement and a scan of my card, 10 minutes later , I received the welcome. WOW that was fast. I expected a reply tomorrow at the earliest or even next week, but 10 minutes is crazy fast. I should have waited till December since I should make gold by then, maybe I will divert one of my January trips to continental now, to try it again.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, YX Miles Exec, CO Plat, HH Gold
Don't feel bad, I was at EWR 2 weeks ago, not a mention of the complimentary upgrade or waived fee on President's Club to me either.

I did, however just receive in the mail last week a complimentary Regus Gold membership in conjunction with Delta Crown Room Clubs. Now there's a real timely marketing piece. Must have had an old stash of pre-SkyClub direct mails they had to get rid of.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RCarverJr
Don't feel bad, I was at EWR 2 weeks ago, not a mention of the complimentary upgrade or waived fee on President's Club to me either.

I did, however just receive in the mail last week a complimentary Regus Gold membership in conjunction with Delta Crown Room Clubs. Now there's a real timely marketing piece. Must have had an old stash of pre-SkyClub direct mails they had to get rid of.
Actually the Regus membership is a published membership and comes for free with a SC membership - one of the reasons I renewed my SC membership and the $50 off promotion.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well it actually seems like the complimentary Regus Gold membership is a benefit also for having been a former DL lounge member.

Originally Posted by RCarverJr
They sure do seem to have been reaching back into time. Even people who haven't had a DL lounge membership since back when it was free for all DL Platinums have gotten Regus Gold as a product of those long-expired DL lounge membership-related mailings.

Some of the CO lounge agents at EWR have been on the prowl to poach when I've been there.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:18 pm
wil

Programs: Delta, Emirates, Starwood
Well just to share my 'SkySwap' experience, I called the 888-352-SWAP (7927) number on Monday around 5PM and talked to a really nice agent in Houston, Jacquelyn J.

I asked to match my DL Gold and she said it would be no problem and asked for my SkyMiles number. She also verified if my e-mail and mobile number were up to date in my OnePass profile (she said just in case she needed to reach me again).

I asked how long it would take for my new status to reflect on-line and she mentioned 6-8 weeks. I mentioned that 6-8 weeks seemed kind of long.

10 minutes later I got a call from Jacquelyn apologizing for giving me incorrect information, that my new status should reflect within 24-48 hours on-line, but that my new card and credentials would not arrive for 6-8 weeks. I was impressed that the agent followed up on her own and had the courtesy to call me back personally - this was a nice touch.

So yesterday I get a confirmation e-mail at 10:50am from CO:
Your Elite benefits and privileges are effective immediately. Until your Elite card arrives, you may print your Elite card online.

Your Elite card will show valid through next February. You will receive a new Elite card in February that will be valid through the following February.
Sure enough, I checked my OnePass account on-line and the new status is reflected - the entire process taking approx. 16 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.