Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CO poaching DL/NW Elites, SkyClub/WC members..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO poaching DL/NW Elites, SkyClub/WC members..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Enticing

This is pretty enticing.

The biggest thing holding me back from a defection is the 38K miles I will be rolling over from this year to next. Given the way my air travel has been (on ALL carriers) I plan to cut back as much as possible next year. That 38K gives me a nice cushion to remain in the top ranks...or at least close.

I also think there are WAY too many question marks behind how CO will integrate themselves into STAR. I am surprised they haven't released anything yet.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Interestingly, if DL went after CO's elites, there'd be complaints about swelling the elite pool.

I wouldn't consider CO because I'm batting 100% on upgrades this year and that's almost all I care about.
Delta has been trying to lure CO's elites away for a few months, particularly in the NYC market.

I think CO is just fighting back.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by ifette
I for one am still curious as to how the CO/UA relationship will pan out. Will CO plats get free economy plus on UA, for instance?
UAL 3P and above get E+ (if availalbe) all others are pay to play, although you might get it for free (no seat asgined and declined the "upsell") if seats in E- are left and the flight is full.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: NW GE
What is 3P? Most of the people on the Delta forum probably don't know what the other airline elite levels are if they are nonlogical.

Do all UA elites not get e+ if available? If so, that is pretty weak.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Lyaec350

Do all UA elites not get e+ if available? If so, that is pretty weak.
All MP Elites get free E+ access.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by hfly
DP-340, except when you are very likely paying the same YBM fares and then up to $500 on top of that.
If you pay YBM fares the copay is between $0 and $250. According to CO you can upgrade the cheapest fare for $500/ow. I checked an LAX-CDG next month and the cheapest fare is ~$875 on both DL and CO. Thus bringing the total to $1875 rtn on CO. For the same days DL's M-fare is $2980 rtn or about $1100 more. (Please check http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...rade/fees.aspx). CO system is flexible and affordable; I like it!

BTW, the prices above remind me of 5-years ago, i.e., of a time when M-fares on DL were reasonable (more like K-fares today). The escalation of TATL M-fares in recent years, is the reason why I don't use PMUs on TATL flights and IMO 80% go unused.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Yes. Get in on the fun while you can.

I don't find much difference in total cost between the two, though ex-EU M fares are usually around $250 or so cheaper than ex-US. Even ex-US, though, when you factor in the value of the miles used vs a PMU and the 150% earnings rate on M fares, the M fares remain pretty competitive (IMO). Assuming you can confirm the upgrade up front, I don't think there is much difference in the overall value proposition. Nonetheless, I do like the flexibility that the co-pay system offers and would welcome a similar system at DL. (my bolding)
I think that this is the stick in the craw for DL. You can wind up paying thousands more for a ticket then you normally would and still wind up in the back of the bus if you cannot get a confirmed upgrade at the time of booking. I would much prefer to pay for a LUT ticket and throw in my money and miles and know that if I don't get upgraded, my money and miles are refunded and that I will have paid for what I got (a seat in the back) and not an expensive seat in the back.

I also agree that many times, the cost of a discounted F fare is little more than the aggregate cost of the economy ticket plus the cash for upgrading and the miles. I usually find it easier to just book the discounted F ticket.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by diamondgirl57
Saw this after I called that Continental number, takes six weeks to process, only then does any one's elite status take effect, and no diamond level, only matches to platinum.
A clarification - the status should be matched within 24 hours and you will receive the new OP credentials within 6 weeks...hope this helps!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
I fly into Newark every week and have been thinking about this for a month or so. Does anyone know if the status continues through 2010? I'm requalified for Delta Plat for 2010, so would it be better to wait till January?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by gnp001
I fly into Newark every week and have been thinking about this for a month or so. Does anyone know if the status continues through 2010? I'm requalified for Delta Plat for 2010, so would it be better to wait till January?
It's valid until February 2011.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
does the paper say that you are only entitled to be status matched to CO One pass if you have never done a status match to onepass before (or within the last 5 years). When i migrated from star to skyteam, i got matched by co and by dl and I sticked with delta (so wasted that onetime opportunity, but I needed it immediately at that time...)
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mith
does the paper say that you are only entitled to be status matched to CO One pass if you have never done a status match to onepass before (or within the last 5 years). When i migrated from star to skyteam, i got matched by co and by dl and I sticked with delta (so wasted that onetime opportunity, but I needed it immediately at that time...)
What are they going to do, say no? Send it in and see what happens. Given the response times, I wouldn't be suprised if they were just rubber-stamping everything without much review at all.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DP, rather then next month, do the same cpomparison for 9 days from now, then report back to us.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Interesting. I am flying Continental to Newark this afternoon and have my Skymiles number on the reservation for DL credit and the abiklity to reserve an exit row seat.

When I just checked in, there was a note on my reservation that "as an elite member you will be paced on the standby list for a complimentary upgrade." Have never seen that before when flying CO using my Skymiles #."
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Sent in the info via email yesterday, this morning I am a CO Plat Elite through 2010!
Thanks OP.... I got some thinking to do as to whom to fly.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.