FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

FlyingBoat Jul 16, 2013 12:09 am

It looks like there isn't even an annual fee version of this card available anymore, correct?

CMHFlyerOH Jul 16, 2013 7:54 am

Interesting. I don't see the annual fee version offered either (i.e. the one that offers 5 pts/$ on Travelocity and 2 pts/$ on a category you choose).

FlyingBoat Jul 16, 2013 8:01 am

I looked a few days ago when I was doing an AOR and didn't see it then either. Strange as well from Barclay web site, view all cards, for Travelocity it says something about earn 10% on travelocity purchases in it's short summary. Then when you click on it, it says only the 3% not 5% possible card.

stainlesspoints Jul 16, 2013 8:03 am

Applied for the card back in June, looks like I just made it. New version isn't worth it.

AJollyLife Jul 16, 2013 9:36 am

Yeah, I hope it comes back - was looking to sign up for it!

mintcilantro Jul 16, 2013 12:40 pm

damn, I'm lucky or what. I applied June 28 and got approved on recon yesterday. My account shows 5 points/$ for travelocity!!

AJollyLife Jul 23, 2013 11:38 am

Do you have an offer number that you used? I'm thinking of calling in and trying to apply for the annual fee version anyways.

mintcilantro Jul 24, 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by AJollyLife (Post 21145299)
Do you have an offer number that you used? I'm thinking of calling in and trying to apply for the annual fee version anyways.

I didn't save any info. I just went to barclaycardus.com and looked for the travelocity card to apply.

AJollyLife Jul 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Tried calling twice to apply, both agents said they could not find the $39 annual fee version :(

nnugnotsle Aug 10, 2013 3:22 am

How does one redeem statement credit for this card? I can't find it anywhere on the barclays or travelocity site.

skagen Aug 10, 2013 7:15 am

Originally Posted by nnugnotsle (Post 21247146)
How does one redeem statement credit for this card? I can't find it anywhere on the barclays or travelocity site.

You book travel through Travelocity while signed into your account which has your linked Travelocity card and you select the option to pay with some points.

You can't redeem points directly for a statement credit.

baxterboy12 Aug 20, 2013 11:15 am

Using points for Southwest

I have 40,000 Travelocity points that are good for $800 in flight credits. I'm wondering if I could buy $1000 Marriott cards through the Southwest promo and then get Travelocity AmEx to credit my account $800 for the "Southwest" purchase. A call center rep told me that since Southwest can't be booked online through TL that I can call and they can look at my purchase history and issue the credit.

Then I get $1000 in Marriott cards for $200, plus 12,000 Southwest points to boot.

I lose the mileage earning potential on the $800 in free travel through Travelocity, but I don't pay for flights anyhow because of points. Wanna Get Away fares award 6 per dollar, so 6000 for $1000 spend, however they count for A List and CPQP.

Anyone tried this successfully?

CMHFlyerOH Aug 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by baxterboy12 (Post 21305063)
I have 40,000 Travelocity points that are good for $800 in flight credits. I'm wondering if I could buy $1000 Marriott cards through the Southwest promo and then get Travelocity AmEx to credit my account $800 for the "Southwest" purchase. A call center rep told me that since Southwest can't be booked online through TL that I can call and they can look at my purchase history and issue the credit.

Then I get $1000 in Marriott cards for $200, plus 12,000 Southwest points to boot.

I lose the mileage earning potential on the $800 in free travel through Travelocity, but I don't pay for flights anyhow because of points. Wanna Get Away fares award 6 per dollar, so 6000 for $1000 spend, however they count for A List and CPQP.

Anyone tried this successfully?

I've NEVER heard of an agent being able to manually credit for a flight purchase not booked on Travelocity on the Travelocity card. Heck, sometimes even Travelocity credits don't post as they should. It wouldn't surprise me at all (because it's Barclay's) if the agent was confusing the Travelocity card with their Arrivals card.

That said, you'd be purchasing the $1000 in Marriott gift cards from Marriott, not Southwest (you just happen to get Southwest points for making the purchase), so there would be no Southwest airline purchase to credit you for.

Unless you took that agent's comment to mean they would manually issue you a credit for ANY travel purchase, including one from Marriott, which I find highly doubtful.

Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

skagen Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH (Post 21306866)
I've NEVER heard of an agent being able to manually credit for a flight purchase not booked on Travelocity on the Travelocity card. Heck, sometimes even Travelocity credits don't post as they should. It wouldn't surprise me at all (because it's Barclay's) if the agent was confusing the Travelocity card with their Arrivals card.

That said, you'd be purchasing the $1000 in Marriott gift cards from Marriott, not Southwest (you just happen to get Southwest points for making the purchase), so there would be no Southwest airline purchase to credit you for.

Unless you took that agent's comment to mean they would manually issue you a credit for ANY travel purchase, including one from Marriott, which I find highly doubtful.

Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

Totally agree - I'd be surprised if you're going to get credit for *anything* other than selecting points to use from the drop down as you're checking out on Travelocity for hotel, car, or airfare. (Certain things, like cruises, aren't eligible to have points used for them)

BC300 Aug 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by skagen (Post 21307377)
Totally agree - I'd be surprised if you're going to get credit for *anything* other than selecting points to use from the drop down as you're checking out on Travelocity for hotel, car, or airfare. (Certain things, like cruises, aren't eligible to have points used for them)

Just want to throw in my two cents and echo the recent sentiment. Dealing with the Travelocity Amex customer support is very difficult even with basic questions and requests. I once tried to have them process a manual redemption of 20K points for $400 since the website was not working and it took over three weeks and four calls (plus a call-back from a supervisor). This for a BASIC request.

Trying to redeem for non travel related purchases not made on Travelocity.com :confused: You might as well play the lottery!!