FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

redhotlama Nov 5, 2012 9:29 am

My wife and i booked some flights on Friday and we're able to use our points through the travelocity website.

AllStar8109 Nov 5, 2012 10:39 am

I use this card frequently and never have any issues with redeeming points through the Travelocity website. Also the credit is posted to my account within 2-3 days if I do use points.

One question I have for anyone on here using the Travelocity AMEX, has anyone had any luck in getting rental cars booked through Travelocity to rewards the 5x points? Seems like Travelocity just makes a "reservation" for you and then you have to pay the rental car company directly, which circumvents the bonus points. Anyone have any luck getting the bonus points to work on any car reservations?

Schutzee Nov 11, 2012 7:15 am

Cash out?

Originally Posted by hellothere (Post 17917040)
Is there a way to turn Travelocity Rewards points into cash?

I though I'd buy a refundable airline ticket with my points and then cancel the ticket, but every time I search for a refundable ticket on Travelocity, the policy details say the ticket is non-refundable at checkout, even though I know the same priced ticket purchased at the airlines website would indeed be refundable.

I called CS about this issue and whether the tickets are refundable and they were pretty useless, telling me that whatever the policy page says is what goes.

Has anyone figured out a way to cash out Travelocity points? It seems all hotel and even business and first tickets are non-refundable.:td:

chewy3 Nov 11, 2012 11:21 pm

If you select refundable when searching then it is refundable despite what the policies say (this is a stock policies page that shows for every ticket)

AUDirt Nov 23, 2012 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee (Post 19663375)
Has anyone figured out a way to cash out Travelocity points? It seems all hotel and even business and first tickets are non-refundable.:td:

Originally Posted by AllStar8109 (Post 19627971)

Anyone have any luck getting the bonus points to work on any car reservations?

I think the two of you have answered each other's questions (sort of).

I have never gotten car rentals to earn at 5x, but I have redeemed points for car rentals. As AllStar pointed out, the credit posts in about 2-3 days, regardless of when your car reservation is for.

Also, car rentals tend to be more flexible and cancelable than flight or hotel reservations.

So... if you're looking to get points turned into cash, car rentals seem to be a good way to go.

Now then, my 0.02: this card is too great to mess around with gaming the system like this. They'll certainly cancel your card (and probably take your points) if they see you pulling this stunt too many times.

One last caveat: I figured this out some time ago (about a year). They may have changed the system in the meantime.

profxfiles Nov 24, 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 19732992)
Now then, my 0.02: this card is too great to mess around with gaming the system like this. They'll certainly cancel your card (and probably take your points) if they see you pulling this stunt too many times.

Amen brother

AUDirt Dec 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Sorry if this has already been addressed...

When Barclay's added RewardsBoost to our accounts everyone noticed that Travelocity was one of the partners at a rate of 1 (bonus) pt/$.

Several people, myself included, wondered if you could earn more points when going through the rewards portal and clicking Travelocity.

I finally remembered to try this and can confirm that, yes, you do earn that extra 1pt/$ (on top of whatever you normally earn).

So, for people with the old scheme, this becomes 5pts/$. People with the new point scheme jump to 6pts/$ (12% rebate :eek:)

bluto Dec 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 19846847)
Sorry if this has already been addressed...

When Barclay's added RewardsBoost to our accounts everyone noticed that Travelocity was one of the partners at a rate of 1 (bonus) pt/$.

Several people, myself included, wondered if you could earn more points when going through the rewards portal and clicking Travelocity.

I finally remembered to try this and can confirm that, yes, you do earn that extra 1pt/$ (on top of whatever you normally earn).

So, for people with the old scheme, this becomes 5pts/$. People with the new point scheme jump to 6pts/$ (12% rebate :eek:)

Interesting. It's worth noting, though, that you get 2x at Chase UR mall. So you can get your 4 travelocity points and 2 chase points.

nydad Dec 25, 2012 4:26 pm

prepaid hotel using points

Just to be sure.

Can I use points for a hotel-only reservation (prepaid hotel stay) or does it have to be a flight+hotel package? Thank you.

bluto Dec 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 19919721)
Just to be sure.

Can I use points for a hotel-only reservation (prepaid hotel stay) or does it have to be a flight+hotel package? Thank you.

It can be hotel only.

nydad Dec 26, 2012 12:33 am

Originally Posted by bluto (Post 19920858)
It can be hotel only.

Thanks a lot!

NauticalWheeler Dec 30, 2012 4:43 pm

I have the old card with the 4% rebate and $69 annual fee.

I received this email yesterday...hopefully not an "enhancement". The subject of the email was "Travelocity Rewards American Express Rewards Update‏".

----------

Hi NauticaWheeler,

Enjoying extraordinary rewards from Travelocity.com is easy.

5 points for each dollar spent on eligible Travelocity purchases, 2 points
for each $1 spent on the preferred category you choose – gas, groceries,
or restaurant, 1 point for each $1 on all other purchases.¹

Guaranteed redemption - no blackout dates or seat restrictions on reward
travel. Ever.

Free travel starting at just 5,000 points.

BC300 Dec 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Concerning!!!

That is the part that is concerning. The card will lose a huge advantage if the 2x points per dollar spent goes away. :confused:

bluto Dec 31, 2012 1:10 am

I got that email, too. It is concerning. It's worded somewhat strangely so it's unclear if it is a letter that went to everybody or indeed a devaluation of the old card.

FWIW the barclaycard site still says 2 points per $1 for all transactions. It's under Program overview under Rewards after you login. They might not have updated it yet, though.

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler (Post 19945119)
I have the old card with the 4% rebate and $69 annual fee.

I received this email yesterday...hopefully not an "enhancement". The subject of the email was "Travelocity Rewards American Express Rewards Update‏".

----------

Hi NauticaWheeler,

Enjoying extraordinary rewards from Travelocity.com is easy.

Guaranteed redemption - no blackout dates or seat restrictions on reward
travel. Ever.

Free travel starting at just 5,000 points.

bocastephen Dec 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by BC300 (Post 19945273)

That is the part that is concerning. The card will lose a huge advantage if the 2x points per dollar spent goes away. :confused:

Has anyone confirmed with Barclays about this? If the grandfathered 4% cards are changed to 1x for everyday purchases, we're gone - the card becomes next to useless for us compared with other options.