FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

AUDirt Jan 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ethanwa (Post 20123941)
I don't have the grandfathered version (I have the 5/2/1 but I still love the card) and mine just renewed until 2017. So I assume they can't modify or until 2017? Or can they?

I haven't read the terms and conditions recently, but I'm sure they reserve the right to modify the program at any time.

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 20133788)
My renewal has posted. Received a letter with the old earning structure along with renewal reminder. The card is good to go for at least one more year!!

Excellent!

AUDirt Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I thought I would point something out to the folks on the board.

A few replies ago I stated that I am having a grand time dealing with the Barclay's Fraud team. Well, the good times keep on rolling.

To recap: four charges were posted to my card on December 17th. I did not make these charges (total of over $1000). Barclay's computers spotted the possible fraud and they called me. In that conversation, as well as subsequent ones, I repeatedly told them that I did not make those charges.

Then, on my January statement, I noticed this little gem at the bottom:

"You must contact us within 60 days after the error appeared on your
statement.

You must notify us of any potential errors in writing. You may call
us, but if you do we are not required to investigate any potential
errors and you may have to pay the amount in question."

So, it appears that they're going to conveniently ignore this problem until I send them a letter. That's slimy and it does not give me good feelings about Barclay's as a company.

Just passing this along in case someone has a similar experience.

bluto Jan 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 20133788)
My renewal has posted. Received a letter with the old earning structure along with renewal reminder. The card is good to go for at least one more year!!

I just got my letter today too. The old earning structure is still in place. ^

AUDirt Feb 7, 2013 8:26 pm

An update on my stolen card saga.

Today... finally... my account was credited for the stolen purchases. All told, the fraud consisted of 5 transactions totaling over $1150. The fraudulent charges posted on December 15 and were not cleared until now.

The takeaway of this story for other people is this:

If you discover fraud on your card, follow the directions on your statement. Do not listen to anything that Barclay's phone operators tell you. You have to notify them in writing (which I did, eventually), otherwise they reserve the right to do nothing.

BC300 Feb 7, 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 20207146)
If you discover fraud on your card, follow the directions on your statement. Do not listen to anything that Barclay's phone operators tell you. You have to notify them in writing (which I did, eventually), otherwise they reserve the right to do nothing.

Thank you for the sound advice AUDirt! It is sad it took so long; however I am glad the fraudulent charges were eventually removed!

mintcilantro Feb 27, 2013 11:41 am

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...&cellNumber=13

Would this offer still be considered a good offer to put spending on? I see a lot of talk about grandfathered structure and I was trying to figure out if the offer I see now is worth getting this card for.

bluto Feb 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 20327400)

Would this offer still be considered a good offer to put spending on? I see a lot of talk about grandfathered structure and I was trying to figure out if the offer I see now is worth getting this card for.

It's not bad, though it is essentially just a 2% card so unless you have a decent amount of spend in the bonus categories (4% for gas, groceries or restaurant or 10% for travelocity), I am not sure it'd be the first one in my lineup.

bocastephen Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 20327400)

If, and this is a big 'if', you can buy any of the 'manufactured spend' products at your gas or grocery store, I would look at the earn more rewards option that will net you 4% return on travel purchased at travelocity.com when you redeem in blocks of 20,000 points - that's the highest and best use of this card...and would give you the same benefit as the grandfathered cards (4% return).

mintcilantro Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 20327736)
If, and this is a big 'if', you can buy any of the 'manufactured spend' products at your gas or grocery store, I would look at the earn more rewards option that will net you 4% return on travel purchased at travelocity.com when you redeem in blocks of 20,000 points - that's the highest and best use of this card...and would give you the same benefit as the grandfathered cards (4% return).

Thanks.. and this would be a great card to put travel spend on, correct? I'll probably end up buying $5k in flights this year. I'll buy hotel rooms on priceline unless I'm paying with points.

Regular spend also gets 2% so I won't have to carry another card for 2% return. This would be good for costco as well.

I've enough hotel points for aspirational properties now and I won't speculatively collect more. Because of hotel devaluations, airline award availability issues and my tight vacation schedule; I've considered moving to fixed value programs like this one. Another barclays card that I found good for 2% redemptions is Virgin America. It suits my travel style and they have a hub in SFO.

Barclays suddenly looks like my CC issuer of choice!

BC300 Feb 28, 2013 12:55 pm

New Barclays Website Design!?

I logged into mytravelocityrewards.com to check some transactions and noticed a new sleek designed website.

It is pretty nice although the prior website was very functional and easy to find things.

I am looking forward to hearing others thoughts!! :p

RLG Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm

I was happy with the previous site. I wish businesses would just leave well enough alone.

g50 Mar 10, 2013 7:29 am

Today I tried three times to book a flight with points. I couldn't get my points to show up.

I went to Barclay's web site and strangely they were asking security questions at log in. So I logged in and went back to Travelocity and was able to book with my point.

Seems like the two sites might need to talk to each other.

nydad Mar 31, 2013 5:09 am

poor wording?

I clicked around the Barclay site today and learned that there's a section about the points expiration.

It said:

"The Travelocity Points you earn are valid as long as your account is not inactive for 48 months or greater. If your credit card account is closed, you will forfeit your unredeemed Travelocity Points."

What does the word, "inactive," exactly mean? Does this mean that the points are valid as long as I have my card and use it from time to time?

paramount Mar 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 20511248)
I clicked around the Barclay site today and learned that there's a section about the points expiration.

It said:

"The Travelocity Points you earn are valid as long as your account is not inactive for 48 months or greater. If your credit card account is closed, you will forfeit your unredeemed Travelocity Points."

What does the word, "inactive," exactly mean? Does this mean that the points are valid as long as I have my card and use it from time to time?

Yup.

somdave2005 Apr 1, 2013 8:43 pm

But I think i'm going to cancel this card!

I have the old grandfather's version of this card with 4% redemption. It's such a big pain in the rear to redeem my points. My points rarely ever show up on the travelocity website and I always have to call to book anything.