FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

BC300 Apr 3, 2013 1:45 pm

Introducing the Barclaycard ArrivalTM World MC

I was reading a blog and they mentioned this new card from Barclays:
http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/pr...pare-arrival/#

As you can see, the redemption rate on this card is pretty typical and crummy like the others ($10,000 spend = $100 credit). :td:

I hope they do not move this crappy structure to our cherished Travelocity AMEX cards anytime soon. :confused:

bocastephen Apr 3, 2013 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 20520273)
But I think i'm going to cancel this card!

I have the old grandfather's version of this card with 4% redemption. It's such a big pain in the rear to redeem my points. My points rarely ever show up on the travelocity website and I always have to call to book anything.

Canceling your grandfathered card is the worst mistake you can make. We've only had one issue out of dozens trying to redeem points for travel credit and the system works flawlessly for us.

What doesn't work is the useless Travelocity booking engine which should be dumped in the toilet, pee'd on, then flushed - but that has nothing to do with being able to redeem points.

There is currently no peer for this card anywhere, and there might never be again outside of some very rare and temporary manufactured spending opportunities.

paramount Apr 3, 2013 5:45 pm

Agree with bocastephen. I've now redeemed over 2400 dollars over 3 years and spent 180 in renewal fees. I'm only a mild spender and make a measely salary.

somdave2005 Apr 4, 2013 7:52 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 20531115)
Canceling your grandfathered card is the worst mistake you can make. We've only had one issue out of dozens trying to redeem points for travel credit and the system works flawlessly for us.

What doesn't work is the useless Travelocity booking engine which should be dumped in the toilet, pee'd on, then flushed - but that has nothing to do with being able to redeem points.

There is currently no peer for this card anywhere, and there might never be again outside of some very rare and temporary manufactured spending opportunities.

How do you redeem your points? I use the travelocity website and it rarely ever works for me...that's where the frustration is.

Dave

bocastephen Apr 4, 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 20534917)
How do you redeem your points? I use the travelocity website and it rarely ever works for me...that's where the frustration is.

Dave

I go to Travelocity, log in, select my flights, go through to the purchase page then make sure the Travelocity Amex is selected as my default form of payment, then below the credit card section is a 'use points' section with a dropdown where you select points for statement credit - always select in batches of 20,000 in order to earn 4% (anything else is a waste).

If your trip is less than $400, never use points.

somdave2005 Apr 4, 2013 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 20536757)
I go to Travelocity, log in, select my flights, go through to the purchase page then make sure the Travelocity Amex is selected as my default form of payment, then below the credit card section is a 'use points' section with a dropdown where you select points for statement credit - always select in batches of 20,000 in order to earn 4% (anything else is a waste).

If your trip is less than $400, never use points.

That's the problem...when I use the travelocity website to book a flight, my points don't show up for me to use. The last trip I had to call them and they charged me $40 each ticket for using telephone to book the trip.

bocastephen Apr 4, 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 20538793)
That's the problem...when I use the travelocity website to book a flight, my points don't show up for me to use. The last trip I had to call them and they charged me $40 each ticket for using telephone to book the trip.

Have you linked your points account to your Travelocity account, is your Travelocity Amex the default FOP on your Travelocity account and are you logged in when you search for flights?

somdave2005 Apr 5, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 20538920)
Have you linked your points account to your Travelocity account, is your Travelocity Amex the default FOP on your Travelocity account and are you logged in when you search for flights?

Yes to the first 2 questions. I am sometimes not logged in when I search for flights. Usually I'll search for flights first, then log in to pay.

bocastephen Apr 5, 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 20541601)
Yes to the first 2 questions. I am sometimes not logged in when I search for flights. Usually I'll search for flights first, then log in to pay.

See if you can disconnect your Amex account from your Travelocity account, then link them again - something is not setup correctly.

somdave2005 Apr 5, 2013 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 20542059)
See if you can disconnect your Amex account from your Travelocity account, then link them again - something is not setup correctly.

Thanks for the tips. The points now show up and I'm able to book a flight. But doesn't seem to be able to search for hotels. Travelocity website is a mess.

MileageUpdate Apr 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 20532093)
Agree with bocastephen. I've now redeemed over 2400 dollars over 3 years and spent 180 in renewal fees. I'm only a mild spender and make a measely salary.

I wouldnt cancel either. Ive probably redeemed 15-20k in rewards over the yrs since I got it. Its an awesome card. The best I own.

paramount Apr 11, 2013 8:03 pm

somdave2005, just make a new account and delete the credit card from your old account and add it to the new account. You must use the TravCC to pay for the trip to redeem points.

drdrew450 Apr 15, 2013 3:39 pm

deleted

paramount May 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 20596925)
I have the new version of the card...my 2 pts earning category is grocery...I buy reloadit cards for 3.95 I load 500 on them, move that 500 to my account now silver...use the online bill pay to pay off any credit card.

That means I pay 79 dollars for a 400 credit...on almost any type of travel...pretty BOSS...Just wish I could get a larger spending limit!

Plus you can get 5 travelocity pts + 2 chase UR for paid travel on travelocity when you have less than 20000pts. That is a discount of 13.6% if you value chase UR at 1.8 cents.

Don't post this kind of stuff on the web... gets stuff shut down.

AJollyLife Jul 15, 2013 1:56 pm

The new version of the card seems to only give 3points per $ spent at Travelocity :/