Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rojafly
I see so many people referring to this 2% cb card as if it were still active but I dont see it on Schwab's website. In fact they seem to have discontinued their CC business.

That being said, can someone confirm whether there is some conversion fee when this debit card is used as a credit card abroad ?
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Schwab's credit card business was operated by a Bank of America division called FIA. Scwab has discontinued this card, but existing cardholders have received another card from FIA with the same rewards and benefits. There is no foreign transaction fee, but the card is not available to new applicants.

There is a similar card, also issued by FIA, through Fidelity. It is an Amex-network card with 2% rewards, and 1% foreign transaction fee:

http://personal.fidelity.com/product...owcard=college
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Per this long running Fatwallet thread, changes coming in October.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/883571/?start=0
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Per this long running Fatwallet thread, changes coming in October.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/883571/?start=0
Hmm... I don't like the sound of that. The thread states that we'll have until 10/15 to opt into the Bank of America privileges card? Is that Choice Privileges? That has an annual fee.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
I'm not sure what they're referring to when they say 'Bank of America Privileges'. Looking on the BoA website, it doesn't seem to have it listed as a CC product.

Choice Privileges is a reward program run by Choice Hotels (inclusive of comfort inn, quality, econolodge, etc...). They have an associated credit card through Barclays, and it doesn't look like it has an annual fee. This probably isn't what we'll be 'offered' to switch to. I believe there used to be a BoA version of this card, but was discontinued a while back.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinosims
I'm not sure what they're referring to when they say 'Bank of America Privileges'. Looking on the BoA website, it doesn't seem to have it listed as a CC product.
I would imagine they mean WorldPoints, but who knows.

https://www.managerewardsonline.bank...home?mc=maxrwd
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Platinum Privileges is the name of a Bank of America relationship banking program launched in January 2011, in a few markets. It includes reduced pricing on transactions made through Merrill Edge, which itself is a new service designed to compete with discount brokers such as Schwab.

I speculate that they are introducing a new card which will require that the 2% be deposited in a Merrill Edge account.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Platinum Privileges is the name of a Bank of America relationship banking program launched in January 2011, in a few markets. It includes reduced pricing on transactions made through Merrill Edge, which itself is a new service designed to compete with discount brokers such as Schwab.

I speculate that they are introducing a new card which will require that the 2% be deposited in a Merrill Edge account.
Or the card can be stand-alone card with hefty annual fee.

Given Fido's AMEX is also managed by FIA, I wonder how long that relationship would last. Or, put it this way, how long Fido still wants staying in credit card business. I am sure they got a cut of the transaction fee.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
Given Fido's AMEX is also managed by FIA, I wonder how long that relationship would last. Or, put it this way, how long Fido still wants staying in credit card business. I am sure they got a cut of the transaction fee.
Fidelity still advertises the card quite heavily to its customers. There's been a permanent banner on their bill payment system for months now. Given that the Fido card is an Amex, it's probably a bit less of a drag for both BofA and Fido in terms of costs given the higher merchant charges.

Unrelated to the above, but it's also possible that the new BofA Privileges card will be an Amex.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by mia

I took a quick first look at the Merrill Edge fee schedule. Actually I took a long first look as the list of fees goes on and on.......

Maybe someone will find fertile ground there, but my guess is this is the end of the (ex) Schwab 2% card's usefullness. My only surprise is that FIA didn't make a move on this a long time ago.

Mid-October, if that is indeed the cut-off, doesn't leave much time to plan for Fall overseas travel. Those Chase cards with no for-ex fees will be handy until a new option can be put together.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Someone over at FatWallet got the scoop via web chat. Assuming this is correct, it's not looking pretty folks:

• $75 Annual Fee (rebated for Platinum Privileges customers with >$50K in accounts with BofA and/or Merrill)
  • 3% Foreign Exchange Transaction Fee
  • 1 pt per dollar earn rate.
  • 50% more cash back if you redeem for cash into BofA or Merrill accounts.
  • Bonus points in rotating categories such as gas, travel, etc.
  • "Concierge" service

Direct link to message here -> http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...263/#m16191263

Last edited by islandguy84; Aug 22, 2011 at 8:22 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:01 am

Awful, awful news. This is my primary card when I'm not trying to meet a spend. What card(s) are people going to switch to now? I don't have the FIA Fido Amex and I'm not sure it's worth a pull.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Montacute
Awful, awful news. This is my primary card when I'm not trying to meet a spend. What card(s) are people going to switch to now? I don't have the FIA Fido Amex and I'm not sure it's worth a pull.
Yeah. This is my backup card when my Amex isn't accepted. I now need another forex-free non-Amex card with hopefully no annual fee.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Even though I happen to have a ML account, now that so many other cards have no ForEx fees, I say "Good riddance to bad rubbish"

Over the past 6 mos or so, this card has given me one hassle after another, including, putting a "security hold" on a sub $100 transaction for no discernible nor explained reason and eventually conceding that they screwed up a dispute investigation of another sub $100 charge, after months of misinformation and outright lies.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
In the words of my 2 year old son....."it gone"!!!! That's one less card to worry about. Citi Premier card now firmly place in my wallet.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Originally Posted by Montacute
Yeah. This is my backup card when my Amex isn't accepted. I now need another forex-free non-Amex card with hopefully no annual fee.
Montacute has started a thread to help with that:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...tion-fees.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.