Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
... (cable, satellite, phone, internet and insurance) which are exactly the kinds of transactions that one typically does not carry the card.
The common element in those categories is that cards may be automatically used to pay recurring charges. Both behaviors (physically carrying the card and enrolling the card in autopay arrangements) are desirable for the card issuer. It's not coincidence that every major card issuer promotes the same categories.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
None for me either. I have used the card to the max every month. Actually I even have to pay off in the middle of a billing cycle to recycle the credit line. There is no incentive for FIA to give me any promo.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buschoi
None for me either. I have used the card to the max every month. Actually I even have to pay off in the middle of a billing cycle to recycle the credit line. There is no incentive for FIA to give me any promo.
Same here. Besides, the $25 incentive for 3 months if it is true, aint nothing to saliva about...

On top of that I just realized FIA closed our other Schwab Visa from 2006 that has been very inactive ever since it took away the 0% forex fee 2 or 3 years ago. I lost 636 WorldPerk points which in the old term is redeemable at 2500 pts for $25 check...

The darn card was up for renewal in December and I was wondering why no new card came... It turned out back in June when Schwab changed the 2% card it also changed that old Visa. We did receive a pair of new cards with new number but since that one only paid 1%, no spending went there... I totally forgot about it despite it showed up online together with the 2% card. Then today I noticed it showed Closed status. Called to find out it was closed on Dec 16 due to inactivity. There is no way to re-open it or transfer the credit line to the 2% card other than initiate a Credit Review... Duh!

Part of it is my own fault that I hadn't charged 2K on it and then claimed a $25 check... after that asked to merge the line to the 2% card... I keep track of our Chase and Citi cards to make sure the idle cards being used once every few months, but totally forgot about the FIA genre!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
The issuer is thinking that your brain will glaze over when you $ee:

5%

..and you won't be troubled to read the fine print.
Then those who dont see the $25 cap would get really upset when they thought they had earned $250 but instead only $25...

FIA has learned this crap from Chase which always puts a cap on its bonus earning from the Freedom card bonus offers.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mot29
I didn't get the offer from the former Schwab card -- so I'm at the regular 2% level. But Chase offered me an additional 4% on grocery and drugstore purchases in the first quarter, bringing the total to 5%. And the T&C, if you take the time to read them are very clear --
Maximum bonus reward accumulation during the promotional period is $60 or 6,000 bonus points, which equates to $1,500 in net purchases.
Bravo to Chase for the clarity.
And Discover is offering 5% on air fare, restaurants, hotels, and cruises in the first quarter with the T&C but with a cap of $800 in purchases, or an extra $32 in rewards. Not bad, but not great either. Not quite as clear as Chase, at least for me, but pretty clear -- the bonus works for up to $800 in purchases.
Chase has published the 2011 quarterly bonus offers already. Kudo to them as well because this allows people to plan ahead, such as a big ticket item purchase or a trip.

The cap at $60 is far more generous than the crummy FIA offer also.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:16 pm

The $25 is actually only $15, since you would have earned 2% anyways, but hey, $15 is $15. You dont have to change your spending habits to earn it, at least I wont.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAkH
The $25 is actually only $15, since you would have earned 2% anyways, but hey, $15 is $15. You dont have to change your spending habits to earn it, at least I wont.
Incorrect, at least in my experience with these offers from FIA, the offer has always been IN ADDITION to the regular rewards program.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by islandguy84
Incorrect, at least in my experience with these offers from FIA, the offer has always been IN ADDITION to the regular rewards program.
And based on the fact that the 3-5% offers state they are paid as statement credits (not as points that convert to the regular 2% cash back ACH deposit), I would be inclined to say you are correct.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by islandguy84
Originally Posted by themicah
And based on the fact that the 3-5% offers state they are paid as statement credits (not as points that convert to the regular 2% cash back ACH deposit), I would be inclined to say you are correct.
Interesting fact and good to know for the future. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:51 pm

I got a slight variation of the one of the previously mentioned offers:

Use your Visa Signature® credit card to earn a $25 statement credit on airfare, hotel, travel agency, car rental and cruise purchases totaling $1,500 or more. It's a great way to earn a $25 statement credit. Simply register and make these types of eligible purchases before March 31, 2011.
So 1.67% extra, rather than 5%, and have to spend $1500 to get any benefit.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is all right on the heels of Amex's $25 credit for shopping at a small business (Small Business Saturday).

So maybe a war is starting? Any card want to go to $50?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
For those that did not get an offer, you can still check at this link to see if you qualify for anything:
cardservices.com/easyrewards

Then choose "don't have one?"
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
That link is coming up as invalid for me :-/
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Playing around I found this version:

https://easyrewards.bankofamerica.com/
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by iloveipods
For those that did not get an offer, you can still check at this link to see if you qualify for anything:
cardservices.com/easyrewards

Then choose "don't have one?"
I'm guessing it's this:
https://easyrewards.fiacardservices.com/

"Record not found" for me though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.