Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called before each long trip and on one trip the rep seemed only notated down Europe without specific countries. Since we were going to Turkey and they did not use Euro I decided to call back and made the 2nd rep to specify Turkey in the itinerary as well. No issue during the whole 6 weeks long trip.

I did notice the FIA website could go down without any notice nor even the "look" of going down. The only thing I can tell it is down is its inability to log in ShopSafe server to check the virtual account information, nor seeing new authorizations coming up online. Otherwise you would not be able to tell the site is down, and it often is down during the night time on weekends.

Our charge pattern varies big time based on our travel pattern - some months it could be up to almost max, other times could be less than 10% of the available credit. Line items can also differ from less than a buck to over 1,000 bucks. It does not seem to cause any issue.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:53 pm

I wonder if the clientele with the Schwab card have varying charge patterns that go around the world because of the no forex fee. I have a Citi PPE and that card, when I first got it, was a pain because they would hold my charges if I happened to be in another city that was within driving distance! The Schwab/FIA card doesn't seem to care if I call in my travels in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:37 pm

targeted 3% cash back promo

Did anybody else get a 3% category-based cash back promo on their ex-Schwab card?

I got a letter by snail-mail the other day (actually two, one to me and a separate one to mrsmicah) and then an e-mail just now. From the e-mail:

Earn 3% cash back
on qualifying purchases through March 31, 2011*

Use your Visa Signature® credit card to earn 3% cash back on gas, grocery store, drug store and restaurant purchases. It’s a great way to earn up to $25 cash back. Simply register and use your card for these types of purchases before March 31, 2011.

*To be eligible for this cash back offer, your account must be open with charging privileges and you must register for this offer by March 31, 2011. From the date you register through March 31, 2011, you will earn 3% cash back for eligible purchases, up to a total of $25. Eligible purchases exclude any credits, returns and adjustments. To qualify for this cash back offer, the transaction must be assigned one of the following specified merchant category codes: Gas Stations (5541-5542), Grocery Stores (5411, 5422, 5441, 5462, and 5499), Drug Stores/Pharmacies (5122, 5912) and Restaurants (5811-5814) (each an "eligible purchase" for this offer). Purchases made at a merchant that does not process transactions under these codes, balance transfers, cash advances, including purchases of cash equivalents, fees, interest charges and unauthorized or fraudulent transactions will not qualify. You will receive your cash back reward in the form of a statement credit to your account. Allow up to 10-12 weeks from the end of the promotion for the statement credit to appear on your credit card billing statement or online statement. Receipt of a statement credit does not affect your responsibility to pay your Total Minimum Payment shown on your monthly billing statement. We reserve the right to verify eligibility of all transactions.
The registration code is a unique targeted code, so I unfortunately can't share it.

Because the 3% gets credited as a statement credit, it looks like this is actually in addition to the 2% cash back that I already get, which is a pretty good deal. The $25 maximum is annoying, but I'll probably put all my gas and restaurants no this card this quarter (since my Chase Freedom is also 5% on groceries and drugstores this quarter).

I don't use my Schwab card much (only a couple times a month on average), so I'm guessing they're just trying to get me to pull it back out of the drawer.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Did anybody else get a 3% category-based cash back promo on their ex-Schwab card?

I got a letter by snail-mail the other day (actually two, one to me and a separate one to mrsmicah) and then an e-mail just now. From the e-mail:

The registration code is a unique targeted code, so I unfortunately can't share it.

Because the 3% gets credited as a statement credit, it looks like this is actually in addition to the 2% cash back that I already get, which is a pretty good deal. The $25 maximum is annoying, but I'll probably put all my gas and restaurants no this card this quarter (since my Chase Freedom is also 5% on groceries and drugstores this quarter).

I don't use my Schwab card much (only a couple times a month on average), so I'm guessing they're just trying to get me to pull it back out of the drawer.
I haven't received it.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by themicah
Out of curiosity, is your "couple times a month" usage current? How long ago was it that you in fact last used the card?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
I got a completely different promo, by email today:

Use your Visa Signature® credit card to earn 5% cash back by paying bills. Simply register and have your cable, satellite, phone, internet or insurance service providers bill monthly recurring charges to your card before March 31, 2011. It’s a great way to earn up to $25 cash back.

Restrictive language is similar to themicah's offer.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:58 pm

Got a different one yet:

Earn 5% cash back
on qualifying purchases through March 31, 2011*

Use your Visa Signature® credit card to earn 5% cash back on airfare, hotel, travel agency, car rental and cruise purchases. It’s a great way to earn up to $25 cash back. Simply register and use your card for these types of purchases before March 31, 2011.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nada here. Probably because I have been using it to the max in past few months. Just put $1700 deposit on a cruise on Dec 29 for example.

However, if the $25 referred to is the total amount one could earn over the 3 months promo period, that is too little - that is $500 spent in those categories in 3 months? What are they thinking?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:40 am

They definitely seem to be trying to tempt me away from the miles/points path, towards the cash side, no categories...

Earn 5% cash back on qualifying purchases through March 31, 2011*
Use your Visa Signature® credit card to earn 5% cash back on every new purchase from a tank of gas to eco-friendly appliances. It's a great way to earn up to $25 cash back. Simply register and use your card for purchases before March 31, 2011.

*To be eligible for this cash back offer, your account must be open with charging privileges and you must register for this offer by March 31, 2011. From the date you register through March 31, 2011, you will earn 5% cash back for eligible purchases, up to a total of $25. Eligible purchases exclude any credits, returns and adjustments. Balance transfers, cash advances, including purchases of cash equivalents, fees, interest charges and unauthorized or fraudulent transactions will not qualify. You will receive your cash back reward in the form of a statement credit to your account. Allow up to 10-12 weeks from the end of the promotion for the statement credit to appear on your credit card billing statement or online statement. Receipt of a statement credit does not affect your responsibility to pay your Total Minimum Payment shown on your monthly billing statement. We reserve the right to verify eligibility of all transactions.
This would make much more sense to do if its really $25 max per transaction...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
... What are they thinking?
The issuer is thinking that your brain will glaze over when you $ee:

5%

..and you won't be troubled to read the fine print.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I didn't get the offer from the former Schwab card -- so I'm at the regular 2% level. But Chase offered me an additional 4% on grocery and drugstore purchases in the first quarter, bringing the total to 5%. And the T&C, if you take the time to read them are very clear --
Maximum bonus reward accumulation during the promotional period is $60 or 6,000 bonus points, which equates to $1,500 in net purchases.
Bravo to Chase for the clarity.
And Discover is offering 5% on air fare, restaurants, hotels, and cruises in the first quarter with the T&C but with a cap of $800 in purchases, or an extra $32 in rewards. Not bad, but not great either. Not quite as clear as Chase, at least for me, but pretty clear -- the bonus works for up to $800 in purchases.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
In my case, it's pretty clear they are targeting categories that I never use my Schwab/FIA card for:

5% cash back on gas, grocery store, drug store and restaurant purchases
I never charge these expenses to the card because I use my Amex Blue Cash for gas, grocery store, and drug store (5% cash back) and my Amex Costco card for restaurants (3% cash back). For everything else I use the Flexperks card or the FIA/Schwab card. Clearly they are trying to get my business in the other categories.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
...trying to get my business in the other categories.
I have a different interpretation. The common element of those categories is that the vast majority of transactions are made in person. An incentive to use the card at those types of establishments increases the probability that you will carry the card on your person and also use it elsewhere.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mia
I have a different interpretation. The common element of those categories is that the vast majority of transactions are made in person. An incentive to use the card at those types of establishments increases the probability that you will carry the card on your person and also use it elsewhere.
I doubt it:
  1. They already know that I carry my card, as they see it getting swiped at all kinds of other merchants.
  2. Others, such as BDA shorts above, reported targeting in other categories (cable, satellite, phone, internet and insurance) which are exactly the kinds of transactions that one typically does not carry the card.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Out of curiosity, is your "couple times a month" usage current? How long ago was it that you in fact last used the card?
I have one ~$20 recurring transaction that hits the card every month. I'll sometimes go a few months without putting anything else on it, then I'll put a few random charges on it. Looking at my history, until a week or so ago, I hadn't used the card for anything but the recurring charge since September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.