Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wishful thinking of BofA and its ML Unit

Yeah I know they have to fleece customers in every possible way to help the continuous hefty losses from the mortgage side...

But whoever the team that dreams up this scheme is going to be shocked to see the number of cancellation of the old card.

There are so many forex free cards out there, some of them with very low cost to keep such as the Chase Priority Club card with only $49 annual fee paid off by an annual free night cert for any IHG hotel around the world.

There are plenty of cards that earn 2x in selective categories with 1st year fee waived. Often the 2nd year fee is waived or reduced. One can also rotate among those cards...

Who in the world would keep this card for the "Prestige"?!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bk3day
Even though I happen to have a ML account, now that so many other cards have no ForEx fees, I say "Good riddance to bad rubbish"

Over the past 6 mos or so, this card has given me one hassle after another, including, putting a "security hold" on a sub $100 transaction for no discernible nor explained reason and eventually conceding that they screwed up a dispute investigation of another sub $100 charge, after months of misinformation and outright lies.
Yup. The card was declined at a mechanic shop earlier this year when we tried to fix an old car before selling it.

It took 30 minutes and still not able to get through Fraud Dept. Totally not worth the hassle. I ended up paying the shop a check. Came home to call again and wasted another 45 minutes to find out they did put a hold on the $150 charge.

The transition from Schwab to FIA was handled very poorly - we had not learned anything from any official channel prior to the switch over - everything was drips and dabs from the grapevines.

Since we have enough travel expenses to redeem statement credit at 2% rate with C1 - so it can be our temporary day to day card until the anniversary.

If you have enough cards that have continuous anniversary dates from the 1st year fee waived period, you can extend your time till the better options surface.

Many cards now give 2x on Gas and Grocery, plus dining - this should cover 50% or more of one's day to day spending for the majority of people.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
Platinum Privileges is the name of a Bank of America relationship banking program launched in January 2011, in a few markets. It includes reduced pricing on transactions made through Merrill Edge, which itself is a new service designed to compete with discount brokers such as Schwab.

I speculate that they are introducing a new card which will require that the 2% be deposited in a Merrill Edge account.
Merrill Edge may have been "designed" to compete with discount brokers such as Schwab, but in real life, it falls very, very, very short of that goal. Users are not allowed to purchase most no-load funds, and many listed shares are prohibited as well. I signed up for an account last year, and of the 10 trades I attempted, literally only 1 was permissable (a mutual fund with a hefty front load). [All of the securities and funds I attempted to purchase are available for customers at E*Trade, Fidelity, Schwab, or TD Ameritrade.] I'm sure that Merrill Lynch would be happy to attract new customers through Merrill Edge, but imho it's a very problematic offering. YMMV
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've had problems once or twice, including the time they replaced the card for everyone.

This is in over 2 years. I've used the card for everything including major purchases, not just everyday expenses.

I'd miss it if it were gone. But this thread is approaching 3 years and there have been predictions about the demise several times. Hope the latest ones are wrong too.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: AmEx Gold PR, BoA Plat Priv
Originally Posted by islandguy84
Assuming this is correct, it's not looking pretty folks:
  • $75 Annual Fee (rebated for Platinum Privileges customers with >$50K in accounts with BofA and/or Merrill)
  • 3% Foreign Exchange Transaction Fee
  • 1 pt per dollar earn rate.
  • 50% more cash back if you redeem for cash into BofA or Merrill accounts.
  • Bonus points in rotating categories such as gas, travel, etc.
  • "Concierge" service
This matches exactly the features of the existing BofA Platinum Privileges Visa. The product has been around for a while now, though, at least in Massachusetts. I don't think of it as new.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ZortNarf
The product has been around for a while now, though, at least in Massachusetts. I don't think of it as new.
Excellent!

Bank of America launched their Platinum Privileges program, which recognizes and rewards customers for their banking relationships. Customers qualify for the rewards when their relationship includes at least $50,000 in deposits and/or investments with Bank of America, plus a checking or brokerage account. Customers with Platinum Privileges qualify for the new Platinum Money Market Savings account with rates as high as .60% and higher rates on the 7, 12, and Opt-Up 18-month term CDs. The new program is only available in Arizona, Georgia, and Massachusetts.
http://www.informars.com/blog/post/P...f-America.aspx
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does that mean this is a pilot program and the rest of us dont have to worry about it for a while?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Still no receipt or report of the rumored mailings announcing the "change."

Originally Posted by fatwallet.com on 8/21/2011
Just spoke w/ an FIA rep. Letters going out tomorrow offering card holders opportunity to switch by 10/15 to a BofA Privileges card, still (supposedly) w/ 2%.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dayone
Still no receipt or report of the rumored mailings announcing the "change."
I received a letter today.It states that my current card will be replaced by a "new Bank of America credit card"

It also says that soon I will be receiving more details about the replacement card and other services from B of A.

Personally, I detest B of A,so unless the terms of the new card remain at 2% rebate into an account of my choice,along with no forex fees,which is all unlikely, this card is done for me.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:16 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I received a letter today.It states that my current card will be replaced by a "new Bank of America credit card"

It also says that soon I will be receiving more details about the replacement card and other services from B of A.

Personally, I detest B of A,so unless the terms of the new card remain at 2% rebate into an account of my choice,along with no forex fees,which is all unlikely, this card is done for me.
Sounds like the "rumor" is no longer a rumor. Oh, well! It was good while it lasted. Time to look for a new card, I guess.

LAX
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Sounds like the "rumor" is no longer a rumor. Oh, well! It was good while it lasted. Time to look for a new card, I guess.

LAX
Hmm.. Maybe I should check my mail.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I received a letter today.
Is your account billed in AZ, GA or MA?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Received the letter today. No dates mentioned.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rec'd letter today, 0 details.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:25 pm

I haven't seen anything in the mail yet. The BofA card could not possibly be uglier than the FIA Card...got to think of the positives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.