Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Received a mailing today from FIA detailing changes to the Credit Card Agreement.

Relax folks, nothing about doing away with the 2% cash back.

Changing Late Payment Fees.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by wco81
Received a mailing today from FIA detailing changes to the Credit Card Agreement.

Relax folks, nothing about doing away with the 2% cash back.

Changing Late Payment Fees.
And no change to the 0% forex fees?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:08 pm
Suspended

They only mentioned late payment fees -- reducing many of them -- and changes to recurring transactions if your card number changes, they may notify the merchant of the number change?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Onepass, M+, BoA 2%,AAdvantage, $ Coins Anonymous
i got the same letter.
no mention of change of 2% back or forex 0%. relax. this card is still my primary and i have told FIA why and how quickly it will not be if the above changes.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by dinosims
I was using this to pay my electric bill to ConEd. However, FIA's billpay service made a distinction between in-network and out-of-network, with the out-of-network not getting reward points for the transaction (but getting the ~30 day float, as well as no cash advance fees/interest). ConEd was out-of-network, as were most of the ones that I looked at, including vender's like Verizon or Time Warner where you could pay by credit at their site and have it get reward points.
Right, Wells Fargo was out of network, so no rewards points (now THAT would have been amazing), but still, saving the loan interest for 30+ days while keeping that money in my savings account to earn a little something was really nice, and I could afford to be a little more chancy with how much I paid. If it was too much, just back off the next month. However, no more of this. So as I posed, does anyone know of a credit card that does still allow this?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rexmism
Right, Wells Fargo was out of network, so no rewards points (now THAT would have been amazing), but still, saving the loan interest for 30+ days while keeping that money in my savings account to earn a little something was really nice, and I could afford to be a little more chancy with how much I paid. If it was too much, just back off the next month. However, no more of this. So as I posed, does anyone know of a credit card that does still allow this?
A $5,000 at 2.5% (very hard press to find such without doing all sorts of juggernaut acts) is $125 interest pre-tax for the WHOLE year. One month of it is $10.42 additional money pre-tax into the pocket... At a more normal 1.25%, that is $5xx a month additional money pre-tax... The payout ratio seems a bit low for the work...
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Happy
A $5,000 at 2.5% (very hard press to find such without doing all sorts of juggernaut acts) is $125 interest pre-tax for the WHOLE year. One month of it is $10.42 additional money pre-tax into the pocket... At a more normal 1.25%, that is $5xx a month additional money pre-tax... The payout ratio seems a bit low for the work...
True, it's nothing amazing, just a nice little perk to have, and it was as easy to pay it with the credit card as it is to pay it with anything else, so the only work is trying to find something similar. I guess I'll just have to cut my losses. I was just hoping someone knew of something else.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Not sure if this is what the past ten or so posts have been alluding to, but the bill pay feature no longer has the ability to make bill payments from the credit card. Only my checking account shows up as a funding source. CSR said that this happened earlier this month, that a mailed notification was sent out twice (I don't remember seeing anything), and that this change applies to all FIA cards, not just the Charles Schwab card.. He was told that FIA's contract with the bill payment vendor had been terminated or expired, and while they may be trying to find a new vendor he doesn't have any knowledge of if or when this feature will be reactivated.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Changing rewards destination -- new security warning?

For the last few days, I've been getting a strongly worded warning about a security threat when I try to click on the thing to change where my rewards are sent. Has anyone else seen this?

The first time I saw it, it suggested maybe I should try again later, or proceed despite the warning. I decided to try again later, but then today I got the same warning, and tried to proceed...but then the warning message seemed even stronger, so I backed off.

Is this just over-protective security software or what? Anyone else seeing a warning that wasn't there a week ago?

I wonder if I could call and change the destination of the rebates over the phone...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by k02sc02
i got the same letter.
no mention of change of 2% back or forex 0%. relax. this card is still my primary and i have told FIA why and how quickly it will not be if the above changes.
I just called to FIA services to note overseas travel and specifically asked about whether the forex had changed. The agent initially said 3%, but then corrected herself and said -- "You have a charles schwab card so no added charge for overseas use."
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:56 am
Suspended

I haven't changed the rewards from going to Schwab, though I don't expect to ever trade there.

Main reason is the checking account with refund of all ATM fees and no forex surcharges

I used the ATM card in at a Chase ATM and they assessed a $3 fee and that fee is still reflected in my transactions. I called and they said the fee should be refunded at the end of the month.

Anyone else go through this?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I used the ATM card in at a Chase ATM and they assessed a $3 fee and that fee is still reflected in my transactions. I called and they said the fee should be refunded at the end of the month.

I have had the Schwab checking debit card for several years, and this is the way it always has been.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat

The ATM card is separately managed from the Visa card, I believe. But I've always had the ATM fee refunds come back at the end of the cycle. On a recent trip to Korea, when I called to let them know I'd be using the card overseas the agent suggested that I hold on to any receipts until the fee refund posted because sometimes they have trouble identifying the ATM fee on foreign ATM transactions.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Just got in the mail today some cash advance checks with a 0% APR until September. Called up FIA to ask how they work when you also have regular purchases on the account (answer: post-CARD Act, the monthly minimum payment goes to the balance with the lowest interest rate, and any additional payment goes to the balance with the highest interest rate, and if you continue making charges and paying off those charges--but not the cash advance--every month, you don't get the benefit of the grace period) and she mentioned "you can get your interest rate reduced. Let me transfer you to the right department." A few minutes on hold, then a new person comes on and says that the rate's been reduced by 1.25% to 11.99%, and that I should call back within 4 to 6 months to see if it can be reduced even more.

Have to say that was unexpected, especially considering the new laws, the economic environment, and the fact that FIA must not be liking this card right now... I always pay my balance off anyway, so it's not a big deal though.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't changed the rewards from going to Schwab, though I don't expect to ever trade there.

Main reason is the checking account with refund of all ATM fees and no forex surcharges

Yes, they do a lump sum refund at the statement closing. I asked the CSR a few days ago on this and was told the refund would be in a lump sum at statement closing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.