Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:53 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by Erling
The websites they recommended had it for about Ł50 or USD $80, which is about what I bought it for. In my view its much better than the JW Blue Label which cost almost double that.
johnny walker SWING is much better than blue label, in my opinion...
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold etc etc
Originally Posted by robertw477
How did you know that the call came from Circles? I have had some mixed reusults with them so far. They could not get me a table at the IVY in London but the hotel concierge could.

Rob
Well she didn't say she was from Circles, but the T&C state that they are using Circles for the concierge service.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
They're definitely circles. The concierge I use has a circles email address.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:59 pm

Has anyone found out how they price out the tickets? The $500 for 25K miles SOUNDS tempting, but if they charge $1,000 for a trip to Asia, then it's not worth it.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:21 pm

Has anyone used this card to purchase 2 for 1 tickets on British Airways ??? I think this is a benefit for cardholders who are at the + level (everyone).
Old Dec 10, 2004, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just applied for the card based on comments in this forum and also in the AMEX forum. Looks like a pretty good deal! I was looking for another alternative to my Plat. and Starwood AMEX cards. Had previously used either the UA MP Visa (will probably cancel when it is up for renewal) or the Orbitz Juniper Visa card.

Merrill Lynch card would be even better if BA was my preferred international airline. Might have to see how the free companion ticket thing works but i am sure it will have to be a full Y ticket to get the free ticket. If that is the case, it won't be that great considering you can usually purchase two lower booking class tickets cheaper than you can purchase a Y class ticket for.

Basically I am trying this thing out, since there is no annual fee. I will try to do at least 20k with them so I get a 1 night Ritz voucher. That would be worth it considering that you have to spend at least 35k to get a free Ritz night with AMEX Plat for the low end Ritz properties.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold etc etc
Yes the BA companion tickets are for full fare Y or biz/first. Got my benefits package in the mail the other day. Its pretty sweet, especially considering that theres no annual fee. In my mind this card is a real contender to the Amex Plat, with one caveat - lounge access.

If Merrill offered a version of this card with access to One World lounges around the world, I would easily pay a yearly fee.

Merrill, MBNA, are you listening??
Old Dec 11, 2004, 1:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pacman777
I have one free-night cert in my possession and was wondering how easy/restrictive it is to get a room at any of the locations. I plan on getting the 3-nights free cert once I hit +3 status this year and then rack up 50k more points to get 4 more free nights in 2005 for a combined 8 free nights and then use them all at once. I'm getting married in June 2005, so hopefully they come in handy for a free honeymoon!
Confused. The Terms and Conditions state "MERRILL+2 cardholders will receive one certificate for a one-night stay at The Ritz-Carlton during the calendar year in which they achieve +2 status....MERRILL+3 cardholders will receive three one-night certificate for a 3-night stay at The Ritz-Carlton during the calendar year in which they achieve +3 status." I read this to mean that certificates earned in 2004 must be redeemed in 2004, but it sounds as if this is not what your certificate actually stipulates?

dennis
Old Dec 11, 2004, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by mia
[/B]....MERRILL+3 cardholders will receive three one-night certificate for a 3-night stay at The Ritz-Carlton during the calendar year in which they achieve +3 status." I read this to mean that certificates earned in 2004 must be redeemed in 2004, but it sounds as if this is not what your certificate actually stipulates?

dennis
The certs are good to the end the next year. For example, any certs earned in 2004 are good to 12/31/2005.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 1:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
<<good to the end the next year>>

Thank you for the clarification. This makes the card much more appealing.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:42 am

Actually had a brief experience with the Concierge Service:

I was driving to San Antonio for my fiance's birthday and I wanted to stop and get a present at a James Avery jewelers (they are a tx based jeweler that sells silver jewelry), but I wanted to stop at one that was either on the way or close to where she lived (as there are several stores scattered throughout texas). So I called the ML Concierge service on my cell phone while driving. I got a guy that was very helpful and he looked up the website and told me all the locations in San Antonio. When I heard one that was on the way to where I was going, he even offered to connect me directly to the store (kinda like a 411 service). The whole process probably took about less than 3 minutes. I was pleased with their competent and friendly service!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just got off the phone with the travel agent for the Merrill Lynch card because I wanted to know which airlines fall under the "Preferred Carriers" for the 25k reward.

According to the information I had read prior to signing up for the card, I thought there would be several airlines that would be considered "Preferred Carriers" and that you would be able to chose among those carriers for your trip that would cost you 25k points. Boy was I wrong!

Here's what I was told. The "Preferred Carrier" for your itinerary would be the airline with the lowest published fare for your trip. All other carriers would be considered "Non-Preferred." This means that you would basically be stuck using 30k if you want a specific airline UNLESS that airline happens to have the lowest fare.

The big problem I see is that you do not really have a choice between several "preferred carriers" as I though you would. I refuse to fly on several airlines because of their service, lack of award redemption, etc... I think they mis-advertised this fact on the website because it states "Since the availability of Preferred Carriers may change, you should check at the time of booking to determine which carriers qualify for this level of Air Reward." It is not WHICH carriers qualify but which carrier is the cheapest.

Just thought I would let everyone know what I found out because I am just a little peed off about this! Sure the Ritz Vouchers will be great but basically if I chose the airline I will have to pay 30k for a ticket I would only have to pay 25k airlines points or 20k Orbitz points for.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Just thought I would let everyone know what I found out because I am just a little peed off about this! Sure the Ritz Vouchers will be great but basically if I chose the airline I will have to pay 30k for a ticket I would only have to pay 25k airlines points or 20k Orbitz points for.
That does kind of suck. However, if a flight is 30k and i get 4 nights at the Ritz still works out to a good deal. Dont you think ?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:17 am
DH

deleted

Last edited by DH; Feb 3, 2005 at 12:11 pm
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Do any of you M+ cardholders know about international travel:
I know the 25k => 500 $ ticket.
but do they have a 50k level as well?
it would be nice to be able to book biz class, but not if they are charging 5k/$50 on top of 500.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.