Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by EQ4803
I not loosing any sleep over the ordeal, however, it seems that the card was sold with the Ritz nights as a perk/award not found on competiting cards
Ritz is still part of the program. You are worrying about something that hasnt happened yet. So until/if it happens, worry about it then. So far they are still attempting to have them for next year.

Ken in Phx
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:57 pm

I was just about to apply for the card solely because of the Ritz option... I guess that I will standby to see what comes of this....
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Merrill+ Product Reviews

While I know there are already many Merrill+ threads, each thread addresses a specific issue of the card. Some seem to have problems redeeming and receiving their Ritz rewards, and others seem to gripe about the FX rate. I was hoping I could open up this forum for all those who have the card to share their overall experience with MBNA and Merrill+.

Also, I am hoping that someone could answer if the Merrill+ card is a Visa Platinum or Visa Signature product? I could not find this from the website, and while it does share similarities with the Signature Product, I wanted to confirm with fellow FTers.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Merrill+ = "Platinum Plus Visa" per MBNA online statement.

I have had the card for awhile, but only recently began to use it for several purchases in the UK. It appears they have not added any currency conversion fee, but I'll know next week if they do this as a separate line item.

dennis

Last edited by mia; Jun 20, 2005 at 5:47 am Reason: Transposition error.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Kyle53719
While I know there are already many Merrill+ threads, each thread addresses a specific issue of the card. Some seem to have problems redeeming and receiving their Ritz rewards, and others seem to gripe about the FX rate. I was hoping I could open up this forum for all those who have the card to share their overall experience with MBNA and Merrill+.
I think most of the threads in this forum address peoples experiences with the card. Some have problems with the Ritz vouchers and others have problems with direct payments, etc. Don't really understand what other experiences you are looking on information for. Are you wanting to know something specific? Other than those small issues already mentioned, it is a regular charge card like all the other cards out there. You charge....get a bill... pay the bill...nothing else. Point redemptions are pretty straight forward! Concierge seems to be pretty good based on comments! Phone reps are nice! What else does one need to know? You can find the benefits of the card on this website: (Ritz vouchers not listed for some unknow reason which has been addressed in other threads!)

https://www.card.ml.com/MLRewardsCen...RRILL-Plus.htm

Don't know if I would apply for the card so late in the year if you are getting it primarily for the Ritz vouchers. You will only have 6 months to charge either 20k or 50k to get and actually redeem the vouchers by the end of the year. I got the card in Nov. 2004 but waited to use it until Jan. 2005, since you have to requalify each year for the benefits.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 20, 2005 at 2:07 pm
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by christianj
I think most of the threads in this forum address peoples experiences with the card. Some have problems with the Ritz vouchers and others have problems with direct payments, etc. Don't really understand what other experiences you are looking on information for. Are you wanting to know something specific? Other than those small issues already mentioned, it is a regular charge card like all the other cards out there. You charge....get a bill... pay the bill...nothing else. Point redemptions are pretty straight forward! Concierge seems to be pretty good based on comments! Phone reps are nice! What else does one need to know? You can find the benefits of the card on this website: (Ritz vouchers not listed for some unknow reason which has been addressed in other threads!)

https://www.card.ml.com/MLRewardsCen...RRILL-Plus.htm

Don't know if I would apply for the card so late in the year if you are getting it primarily for the Ritz vouchers. You will only have 6 months to charge either 20k or 50k to get and actually redeem the vouchers by the end of the year. I got the card in Nov. 2004 but waited to use it until Jan. 2005, since you have to requalify each year for the benefits.

So the program runs on a caldendar year, and not when the cardmember applies? That is very important to know. Also, who is the concierge service through? Is it VIP Desk like many of the other cards, or another provider? I have read many of the other forums reading the Merrill+ card and just wanted a general overlook. Last a previous OP posted, the card is a Platinum Plus card, and not a signature card so I can expect that it won't fullfill all the traditional Visa Signature benefits. Is the customer service administered through MBNA or Merrill? Sorry if most of my questions, or this thread that I have started is too general.

Also, can existing MBNA cardmembers transfer cards? For example, if I had an existing Quantum Mastercard serviced by MBNA, can I transfer my Quantum MC into the Merril+ Visa without having to go through the application process? Or do I need to cancel the Quantum MC and apply for the Merrill+ Visa? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kyle53719; Jun 20, 2005 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:29 pm
mia

<<program runs on a calendar year>>

Correct

<<transfer cards?>>

Didn't try, but I did transfer most of a credit line from a dormant card. The web application process was painless.

<<customer service administered through MBNA or Merrill>>

Similar to other cards the funtions are fragmented. The charge transactions are serviced by MBNA. Most rewards are claimed by calling the "MERRILL+ Benefits Center", but some are provided by other firms. "Carlson Companies, Inc. (“Carlson”) manages the travel rewards portions of the Program." (It may be that Carlson operates the Benefits Center.) "Merrill Lynch Concierge services are provided by Circle Company Associates, Inc."

You may wish to explore this document...

https://card.ml.com/MLRewardsCenter/...rd-Details.htm

...in part because it will answer many of your questions, but also because it will give you a good feel for the program. It's very much a cobbled together assembly of largely unrelated offers with explicit restrictions. There's no pattern and it appears to me the details are still quite fluid. I don't think it's an accident that the Ritz Carlton certificates were omitted from the new website, I think this benefit is going away, but maybe they are simple renegotiating for 2006.

The written materials provided with the card include two dense sets of Terms and Conditions. I believe one is titled "Benefits" and the other "Rewards", but there is substantial overlap and some contradictions. My attempt to clarify one important ambiguity by email and phone was ultimately unsucessful because the staff didn't seem to know that the print versions even exist. A few weeks later I received a "revised" version of one through the mail, but the contradition was unresolved.

Bottom line: I would not choose to use the card because of a few specific features, it's too immature.

dennis
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Kyle53719
So the program runs on a caldendar year, and not when the cardmember applies?
Yes but really only for the Ritz qualifications. Basically you have to charge 20k in a calendar year to get one free night and 50k to get an additional 3 free nights. This has to be done every year. All of the other benefits are good for the year in which you achieve a level PLUS the following year. Kind of confusing but if you look at all the published info from ML on the card it will explain it.

I got the card because I had several large things I was planning on charging this year (including a pool renovation) so I wanted to take advantage of the Ritz Carlton free nights. It is basically an additional benefit because you also accrue regular points which you can redeem for flights, merchandise, etc. in addition to the free nights. I look at it this way....50k in charges gets me four free nights at a Ritz Carlton plus two R/T airline tickets (each costing 25,000 points). With any other program I would only have gotten 50,000 points which would have gotten me the two flights and NO free Ritz Carlton nights.

As far as the program for 2006 goes, there are rumors that Ritz Carlton MIGHT not be part of the program. If that is true, I will go back to using my SPG AMEX card which I think is one of the best cards out there. I went back to charging on my SPG card as soon as I achieved the 50K level on the ML card anyway. I got my 4 free nights and that was really all I wanted. Will use the 50,000 points for free airline tickets some time in the future.

I too had a credit limit moved to the ML+ account when I was approved. Just like mia, I had a dormant MBNA card that I called to cancel and they moved the credit limit over to the ML+ Visa card for me.

Concierge Services are evidently done by the same company that does them for AMEX Platinum.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 20, 2005 at 7:17 pm
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
ForEx

Haven't seen any surcharges for my purchases in Australia last month.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:15 pm

At first glance, the Merrill+ card looks more like a Visa Signature Card than a Platinum Plus card. It offers the travel perks as well as the concierge service. The rewards program, at least from my perspective, seems quite lucrative and much more competitive than most Signature and World cards.

Is there something I'm missing here? I wonder why MBNA and Merrill offer the card as a platinum level product rather than a signature level product. Anybody know the answer to this? Also, what are the drawbacks of this card compared to a traditional Visa Signataure product? Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:29 am
mia

Merrill+ FAQ updated to confirm change...

Can Points be converted to a frequent flyer program?

Members can convert both MERRILL+ and Signature Rewards Points to British Airways Executive Club miles. Otherwise, the program features the Airline of Your Choice reward for which members may redeem Points for travel on any airline, anytime, anywhere - with no blackout dates. Plus, members may earn frequent flyer miles for travel booked through the redemption of points.

dennis
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:38 am
mia

The Ritz Carlton benefits are again mentioned on the website...

https://rewards.ml.com/MLRewardsCent...s-Benefits.htm

...and also in the Program Rules...

https://rewards.ml.com/MLRewardsCent...ils.htm#R_Ritz

I believe this is new "Certificates expiration dates vary depending on when +Levels are earned". I hope this means that certificates earned late in a calendar year will expire sometime the following year, rather than in December of the year earned.

dennis
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to my broker at Merrill the Ritz part of the program will be discontinued very soon but they will have other things to add to make up for it.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by mia
The Ritz Carlton benefits are again mentioned on the website...

https://rewards.ml.com/MLRewardsCent...s-Benefits.htm

...and also in the Program Rules...

https://rewards.ml.com/MLRewardsCent...ils.htm#R_Ritz

I believe this is new "Certificates expiration dates vary depending on when +Levels are earned". I hope this means that certificates earned late in a calendar year will expire sometime the following year, rather than in December of the year earned.

dennis
On the CERTS(4) earned this year, all of them expire 12/30/05.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:28 am
mia

<<On the CERTS(4) earned this year, all of them expire 12/30/05>>

That's what I've read, but I take this new phrasing to mean that certificates earned later in the year will not expire this year. It would be useful to know the cut off date and how far into 2006 they maight be valid, but I doubt we will put $20,000 on this card.

dennis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.