Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3% or better on Grocery forever?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Back to the original question, the Chase Sapphire Preferred now earns 3x on online groceries (i.e. order for curbside pickup or delivery). I suppose they did this to prevent gift card purchasing. I did make a purchase at Shop Rite for curbside pick up with the CSP via Apple Pay and I earned 3x.
Tanic and mia like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sciconf
True according to the their Exec office - AMEX changed their policies. Lifetime is no longer 7 yrs
It was never a "policy". It was simply that Amex wasn't keeping records much longer than 7 years. And, btw, it was never exactly 7 years as far as we know.

So if it changed, it would mean that Amex started keeping records longer than 7 years (from some point on), not a policy change.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
The Amex Blue Cash Preferred gives 6% on groceries but only up to $6,000. The AF is $95 but you still come out ahead.
david55 and mppaul271 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It was never a "policy". It was simply that Amex wasn't keeping records much longer than 7 years. And, btw, it was never exactly 7 years as far as we know.

So if it changed, it would mean that Amex started keeping records longer than 7 years (from some point on), not a policy change.
Is it allegedly more or less than seven years now? Thank you.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Is it allegedly more or less than seven years now? Thank you.
I have no idea, and this thread about 3% on Grocery on the general Credit Card forum is not the right place to find out.

The thread about that seems to be:

Amex lifetime is really 7 years

but that's hasn't gotten new posts since March 2020. So I suggest you first read that short thread (which explains a bit more about Amex's record-keeping, etc), and if you you still have questions because of what sciconf wrote above here. you can quote what sciconf wrote above here in a new post in that thread, if you're interested in following this question up further.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
The AOD FCU visa offers 3% on any purchase (which would inherently include grocery). As a smaller credit union their application process is a bit stringent (they want proof of income in two recent paystubs, government photo ID, selfie holding up a piece of paper saying AOD FCU) and they're a bit conservative as a lender (smaller limits to start, CLI is treated reapplying, min. $5K limit), but then again, 3% CB everywhere.
zack14 and ptatohed like this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:38 pm

I believe for the first 12 months the Chase Freedom Unlimited offers 5% up to 12k spend.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I believe for the first 12 months the Chase Freedom Unlimited offers 5% up to 12k spend.
It may depend on the specific offer. Chase has been experimenting lately with making different offers at the same time on the same card, depending on when or where you see the offer.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:12 am

I don't think Savor was mentioned. I just recently got the Savor card. 3% CB on dining, grocery, entertainment, and streaming. No AF.

However, a month after I got it, I discovered the 3% CB all the time AOD FCU card. I applied and I actually was approved for CU membership and Visa Signature. 3% CB on everything. I am so stoked.
mppaul271 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Back to the original question, the Chase Sapphire Preferred now earns 3x on online groceries (i.e. order for curbside pickup or delivery). I suppose they did this to prevent gift card purchasing. I did make a purchase at Shop Rite for curbside pick up with the CSP via Apple Pay and I earned 3x.
How do you like shopping this way? You get 3% plus 10% bonus at end of year. No caps. Is this a game changer for grocery shopping and Chase?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tovo
....3% plus 10% bonus at end of year. ....
= 3.1%
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
= 3.1%

Correct me if I am wrong. But 3% x 10% bonus equals 3.3% for online groceries?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
How do you like shopping this way? You get 3% plus 10% bonus at end of year. No caps. Is this a game changer for grocery shopping and Chase?
I love shopping with curbside pickup although Im not super picky about my produce.

I dont think its really a game changer when 4x and 5x is so easily attainable at grocery stores.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Correct me if I am wrong. But 3% x 10% bonus equals 3.3% for online groceries?
The bonus only applies to the base 1% so 3.1% is correct.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
The AOD FCU visa offers 3% on any purchase (which would inherently include grocery). As a smaller credit union their application process is a bit stringent (they want proof of income in two recent paystubs, government photo ID, selfie holding up a piece of paper saying AOD FCU) and they're a bit conservative as a lender (smaller limits to start, CLI is treated reapplying, min. $5K limit), but then again, 3% CB everywhere.

I just got this beauty. And now I will sock drawer my Citi DC (2% everything), my Savor (3% groceries, dining, entertainment, streaming), and my AARP (3% gas and drug stores). I am soooo stoked. I got the approval e-mail, the approval letter, but not the actual card. Hurry, hurry! lol.

$5k limit so I am a little bummed about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.