Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3% or better on Grocery forever?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

3% or better on Grocery forever?

Is there a Chase UR card that will give you 3% or better on Grocery?
The Freedom card I have is old - it gave 5% and went into a quarterly system.

Is there a new card that comes close to that? Secondly is there a UR competitor has a similar card?,
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:22 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Amex Gold has 4x MR back on groceries but has a $250 AF that requires messy credits to justify.

Citi Custom Cash can earn 5%/5x TYP back on groceries if it’s your top spend category.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Citi Custom Cash can earn 5%/5x TYP back on groceries if it’s your top spend category.
Capped at $500/month spend.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:29 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion continues here:

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category
Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Amex Gold has 4x MR back on groceries but has a $250 AF that requires messy credits to justify.
Not necessarily messy if you normally eat take-out food a lot. It's simply $10 monthly credit each with GrubHub and UberEats, adding up to $240 if you use both every month and use them in ways that don't raise your cost of eating take-out from other ways you'd order it.

Meanwhile, there's also the Amex Everyday Preferred card, with a $95 AF that earns 4.5x MR on groceries if you make 30+ separate purchases each billing period. The no-AF Amex Everyday card earns 2.4x MR on groceries if you make 20+ separate purchases each billing period.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 12, 2021 at 11:04 am Reason: corrected Amex Everyday 20+ earning rate
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:19 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
If one is Plat Honors with BofA, you earn 3.5% on grocery stores with a quarterly cap of $2.5K and no AF. It's worthwhile for some.

LAX

PS: BofA's overall CS is not very good based on my personal experience.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Potential Cards (wiki?):
1. Citi Custom Cash can earn 5%/5x TYP back on groceries if it’s your top spend category. No AF WasKnown
2. Amex Everyday Preferred card, with a $95 AF that earns 4.5x MR on groceries if you make 30+ separate purchases each billing period. sdsearch
3. Amex Gold has 4x MR back on groceries but has a $250 AF that requires messy credits to justify.
sdsearch says Not necessarily messy if you normally eat take-out food a lot. It's simply $10 monthly credit each with GrubHub and UberEats, adding up to $240 if you use both every month and use them in ways that don't raise your cost of eating take-out from other ways you'd order it

4. Plat Honors with BofA, you earn 3.5% on grocery stores with a quarterly cap of $2.5K and no AF. It's worthwhile for some. LAX
5. The no-AF Amex Everyday card earns 3x MR on groceries if you make 20+ separate purchases each billing period sdsearch

Thanks all - I signed up for the (1) above and got approved. So I am moving from (5) to (1). as I became dissatisfied with AMEX due to their harsh Churn policies. They will never approve me (or anyone) for Delta Skymiles though I had one nearly 11yrs ago. I checked it with their Exec team. So why not get 5% on groceries with TYP which seems to work much like Chase UR Travel.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 4:05 pm

Verizon card has no annual fee, 4% on groceries.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 4:18 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sciconf
True according to the their Exec office - AMEX changed their policies. Lifetime is no longer 7 yrs
I cancelled a Skymiles Gold card in October 2014. In November I will let you know if their practice matches what they told you. Meanwhile many. many, many people receive targeted offers without the previous cardholder disqualification language, and are approved for new accounts with bonuses:

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

USA Business Platinum 2019 feature refresh + fee Increase ($595) (Begin at post 41 for 2021 reports)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...got-email.html
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by mia; Sep 8, 2021 at 9:28 am
Old Sep 5, 2021, 4:26 pm

US Bank reserve is probably best if you use contactless mobile wallet(or Samsung MST for places without, though samsung is starting to not include MST in newer phones)

3x points for any mobile payments. point worth $0.01 as cash, or $0.015 if redeemed via travel portal (so a little less than ~4.5%)

$400 annual fee, $325 travel/takeout/delivery/restaurant reimbursement, so ~$75 net fee

TSAPre/global entry every 4 years (~$20/year), 4 free Priority Pass lounge visits, 12 gogo passes

citi grocery is best if you can juggle different cards per category, US Bank reserve is best if you just want one card (on your phone), though it's painful at restaurants where they take your card away, hope USA starts to implement the europe-way of doing things (bring the portable register to the table)
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:52 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Not necessarily messy if you normally eat take-out food a lot. It's simply $10 monthly credit each with GrubHub and UberEats, adding up to $240 if you use both every month and use them in ways that don't raise your cost of eating take-out from other ways you'd order it.

Meanwhile, there's also the Amex Everyday Preferred card, with a $95 AF that earns 4.5x MR on groceries if you make 30+ separate purchases each billing period. The no-AF Amex Everyday card earns 3x MR on groceries if you make 20+ separate purchases each billing period.
Depends on how you want to discount the prepayment. I don’t value any coupon book credit at face value.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
There’s no UR card that gives 3x or better on groceries 12 months a year.

As other’s mentioned,

Citi Custom Cash is 5x TYP up to $500 a month for no AF.
Citi Premier is 3x TYP no limit for $95 AF
AMEX Gold 4x up to $25k/yr $250 AF and assorted dining/Uber credits
AMEX EDP 4.5x up to $6k/yr $95 AF
US Bank AR 3x (4.5%) with mobile wallet $400 AF and $325 annual credits + other goodies

If UR are your thing and you have some extra cash, you could get a bunch of Freedoms and stock up on grocery store gift cards when it is a 5x category. I bought $1000s of grocery store gift cards during the AMEX Platinum 10x grocery SUB to max out the $15k limit in time.
mppaul271 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by sciconf
5. The no-AF Amex Everyday card earns 3x MR on groceries if you make 20+ separate purchases each billing period sdsearch
Just FYI the no AF AMEX Everyday only earns 2.4x MR on groceries if you make 20+ separate purchases each billing period.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
US Bank reserve is best if you just want one card (on your phone), though it's painful at restaurants where they take your card away, hope USA starts to implement the europe-way of doing things (bring the portable register to the table)
Thankfully US Bank also has the Altitude Go which is a no fee card that earns 4% on restaurants.
mppaul271 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Citi Premier card gives 3x TY points for groceries. Many people find TY points to be not as useful as UR or MR points.
mppaul271 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.