Amex lifetime is really 7 years

Old Feb 9, 19, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Amex lifetime is really 7 years

DP: I had read this was likely the case, but now it is personally confirmed. I had had the regular Amex Hilton card several years ago (later upgraded to Surpass).
Late last year via chat I asked Amex which cards they had record of me having and that was not one of them. Since I have recently had every other possible Amex Hilton card, I self referred to the regular amex again for 100K points (plus 15K MR points) and just got the bonus. So lifetime language really does not mean lifetime with Amex. The game lives on.
Old Feb 9, 19, 2:29 pm

The long description of your DP "confirmed" that lifetime = several years. I have a DP from a family member for whom lifetime was 5 years (of not having a personal SPG card). I don't think there's enough factual evidence to justify having a fixed length of time in the thread title. Perhaps more DPs will clarify the policy.
Old Feb 9, 19, 4:10 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
If I recall correctly the seven year timeframe was first reported HERE in 2015, and subsequently confirmed by anecdotal reports. This does not mean that American Express has no records extending further back, only that the live database checked for bonus eligibility contains about seven years history, but we do not know if records are purged annually, monthly, or more often.

Since the beginning of the "lifetime" policy there have been targeted exceptions, and American Express may have applied a different rule to SPG cards while completing to keep their share of the Marriott business.

It also appears that American Express does not reliably track cards that have been upgraded (or downgraded). They are likely to be treated as the original card for bonus purposes, even if the literal rule says otherwise.

I think a card that was CLOSED ~8 years ago (2011) will almost certainly not disqualify a bonus in 2019, but remember it is the close date that matters, not the opening.
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
..).
Late last year via chat I asked Amex which cards they had record of me having and that was not one of them. ..
Be very careful with what csr tells you.. a couple years back i was assured that my pr gold was not in their system only to be denied bonus after spend with a letter that stated that i held that card 5.5 yrs prior....

in another call they couldnt see half the cards i held recently so track your own stuff - dont rely on amex
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Be very careful with what csr tells you.. a couple years back i was assured that my pr gold was not in their system only to be denied bonus after spend with a letter that stated that i held that card 5.5 yrs prior....

in another call they couldnt see half the cards i held recently so track your own stuff - dont rely on amex
It may be better to discuss bonus eligibility in an online chat -- so you can easily review at your leasure what was promised or implied. But even a verbal committment by an AmEx agent over the phone can be treated as contract, if you later relied on it in making the spending. I generally find AmEx better than some other banks (Citi) is making good on their promises. If the conversation you described was relatively recent (an you can estimate the date), I would ask AmEx to reconsider your bonus denial, and have them review their call recordings.
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:53 pm

If I remember correctly, someone once mentioned that AMEX "never forgets" certain things, such as bankruptcies where they lost a lot of money, etc. Supposedly those people get auto-denied for future Amex products forever. Essentially, they really do keep at least some records forever. I've also read anecdoctal reports of people getting approved for Amex, despite having bankruptcies with them before. So it seems that YMMV when it comes to Amex with just about anything.
Old Feb 15, 19, 6:31 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by baroqen View Post
....AMEX "never forgets" certain things, such as bankruptcies .....
Correct. This discussion is only about the database used for bonus eligibility, which seems to include about seven years history.
Old Feb 16, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I hope your 7 year guideline is correct. I would love to be able to sign up for BB and Serve again.
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:59 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Had a PRG in 2011, got bonus this 2018 revamped gold, had SPG Biz in 2012, got bonus again 2018... so six years worked for me in the SPG instance
mia likes this.
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I've had my AmEx card since 1982.....but I fear that is not what we are talking about here.
Old Feb 16, 19, 3:35 pm
mia

Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I've had my AmEx card since 1982.....but I fear that is not what we are talking about here.
Correct, we are discussing the standard terms of public card offers which imply, but do not use the word, lifetime exclusion from another bonus for the same card.

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card.