Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What card to apply for next?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by cjw2001
The rewards from the Citi Costco Card can only be redeemed once a year in store (although you can redeem at the customer service desk for cash).

I would consider the Wells Fargo Autograph as it has a 3% cash back rate in points on many categories including Hotels, Airlines, Rental Cars, Transit, and Gas.

I have both cards and I've recently moved away from spending on the Costco card with the exception of gas at Costco.
You do get 4% on gas anywhere with the Costco car edit card and honestly, it is very easy to spend the annual rebate at Costco. And the Costco card gives 2% at Costco versus 1% on the Autograph. And both the Costco and the autograph give 3% on travel and restaurants.

Everyone has different needs and habits and people both as advice givers and receivers need to take that into account. Both cards have strengths and liabilities that vary from person to person.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bladerunner6
You do get 4% on gas anywhere with the Costco car edit card and honestly, it is very easy to spend the annual rebate at Costco. And the Costco card gives 2% at Costco versus 1% on the Autograph. And both the Costco and the autograph give 3% on travel and restaurants.

Everyone has different needs and habits and people both as advice givers and receivers need to take that into account. Both cards have strengths and liabilities that vary from person to person.
Actually it is NOT true that you get 4% on gas anywhere with the Costco card. If you read the fine print you will see that supermarket branded gas stations are exempted and only get a 1% rebate rate. And for Costco purchases I've been using the Wells Fargo Active Cash for the 2% except for this quarter when the original Chase Freedom is doing 5%.
  • 4% cash back on eligible gas and electric vehicle (EV) charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and/or EV charging purchases, and then 1% thereafter.​
    • Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas or EV charging purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores, and warehouse clubs other than Costco, or for fuel used for non-automobile purposes.​
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:16 pm

The rewards from the Citi Costco Card can only be redeemed once a year in store (although you can redeem at the customer service desk for cash).

I would consider the Wells Fargo Autograph as it has a 3% cash back rate in points on many categories including Hotels, Airlines, Rental Cars, Transit, and Gas.

I have both cards and I've recently moved away from spending on the Costco card with the exception of gas at Costco.
Yeah, I started to shy away from the Costco on based on the once a year, in store rebate. The WF card looks like it may suit my needs. Not thrilled with WF, but 3% on dining and hotels is 3%
cjw2001 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Costco citi should also give 3% on hotels (travel) and dining.
I use chase freedom for 3% on dining - it’s not the freedom with 5% on quarterly categories. Sigh.

I use Wells Fargo autograph for 3% on my monthly phone.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Yeah, I started to shy away from the Costco on based on the once a year, in store rebate. The WF card looks like it may suit my needs. Not thrilled with WF, but 3% on dining and hotels is 3%
The final straw for me was when Citi took away the 2 year extended warranty on the Costco card.

Also, I've only had good experiences so far with the Wells Fargo phone support staff.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 8:23 am

So Drilling into this, and remembering that my only 2 requirements are “separate account for work expenses” and “maximize rewards with minimal hassle”, a 3% cash back card for Hotels and Dining is going to be a winner.

There is the Gateway by FNBO card, which I applied for, but they may deny me since I live in California and not Nebraska.

Venmo credit card will do 3% on dining and hotels.

Finally we have the WF Autograph, which also is 3% on dining and hotels, and has a sign up bonus.

WF is the clear winner here, because of the sign up bonus, but for some reason a rando card from Nebraska amuses me. If they deny me, I cant find anything better than WF Autograph.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I live in CA and I have a fnbo that I got in 2020 as a work card. I barely use it now.

I am actually facing a dilemma for a new card because I want a points / cash SUB. I do still plan to get a IHG through a referral; Im just thinking of a cash SUB. My chase ink needs another $1600 spend for SUB and Im slowly getting there. I have a $2500 bill thats due 1/1 and I feel itll be a waste to use on the Ink. When I open my Amex app, Im not seeing any offers in general.

I did open citi and bmo and they do have offers. Bmo does have a card with 3% for hotel / dining without a great SUB.

Last edited by gaobest; Nov 17, 2023 at 5:01 pm
Old Nov 18, 2023, 2:50 am

Actually it is NOT true that you get 4% on gas anywhere with the Costco card. If you read the fine print you will see that supermarket branded gas stations are exempted and only get a 1% rebate rate. And for Costco purchases I've been using the Wells Fargo Active Cash for the 2% except for this quarter when the original Chase Freedom is doing 5%.
  • 4% cash back on eligible gas and electric vehicle (EV) charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and/or EV charging purchases, and then 1% thereafter.​
    • Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas or EV charging purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores, and warehouse clubs other than Costco, or for fuel used for non-automobile purposes.​
That is true. Thanks for pointing that out. But that has essentially no impact on me as I buy the overwhelming portion of my gas at Shell with the T-Mobile discount and at a BP that is on my work/home route.

Other people consolidate their shopping at the non-Costco grocery and get their gas there and need a different card.

As I said, everyone has different needs. The Costco except for the Discover/Chase 5% quarters gives me my best gas and Costco cash back. My PayPal gives me 2% cash back at Costco but it is not better than the Costco so why bother? The PayPal is simply not worth the trouble.

Another example of different needs, we saved $400 on a New Years Eve weekend at the Intercontinental in Chicago last year with our IHG cards. Other people dont care at all for the IHG cards because they dont match their habits.

There is no set of credit cards that are the right answer for everyone. I would expect that for at least some people, including myself, it entails a combination of cash/rewards/benefits and convenience. Everyone needs to find their own particular portfolio that best matches and balances their needs.

This is my last comment on this particular line of discussion in this thread.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 7:35 am

Thanks gaobest https://www.bmo.com/en-us/main/perso...s-credit-card/. Looks good. $79 AF is not terrible.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 8:16 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
.... Bmo does have a card with 3% for hotel / dining
Note that the 3X reward is capped at $2,500 spend per quarter for combined spending in the dining, hotels, and airfare category. I am surprised to see this low cap for a card with an annual fee.
gaobest likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ngl I didn’t realize that bmo has the $79 AF. I got the card for a different free money SUB promo that doesn’t have a AF and I don’t use it at this point. I figure that bmo is less known here compared to chase and other card brands.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I live in CA and I have a fnbo that I got in 2020 as a work card. I barely use it now.

I am actually facing a dilemma for a new card because I want a points / cash SUB. I do still plan to get a IHG through a referral; I’m just thinking of a cash SUB. My chase ink needs another $1600 spend for SUB and I’m slowly getting there. I have a $2500 bill that’s due 1/1 and I feel it’ll be a waste to use on the Ink. When I open my Amex app, I’m not seeing any offers in general.

I did open citi and bmo and they do have offers. Bmo does have a card with 3% for hotel / dining without a great SUB.

Have you considered the US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa? It awards 4.5% in travel credits for all "travel" purchases made with the card, and for all mobile-wallet purchases made with the card. Depending on where you dine and shop, you could end up earning 4.5% on most of your purchases if you are willing to use Apple Pay/Google Pay.

With the card's annual $325 travel/dining credits and generous retention offers, the card's net annual fee can be $0 -- or less.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...edit-card.html
gaobest likes this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 20, 2023 at 2:02 pm Reason: Remove quoted image.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a Bread amex offer by mail - $200 cash for $1000 spend in 90 days. I could do it in a month. What exactly is the catch and what is Bread if it isnt David Gates band? Am I going to be forced to give everything I own?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:53 pm

I got a Bread amex offer by mail - $200 cash for $1000 spend in 90 days. I could do it in a month. What exactly is the catch and what is Bread if it isnt David Gates band? Am I going to be forced to give everything I own?
It Don't Matter To Me....
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
To the younger generations .....

Originally Posted by xooz
It Don't Matter To Me....
That is the name of one of their songs. That would be the music group Bread, of course.
xooz and gaobest like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.