What card to apply for next?

Old Nov 22, 17, 8:23 am
Original Poster

What card to apply for next?

I just went down to 3/24 (not counting Chase or Amex Business card apps). I do like to stay below 5/24 on at least one of my wife or my credit reports - so we can jump on a great offer if one appears (like the CSR 100K last year) and she is 5/24 until March. But now I have one excess personal card app to play with.

I have:
CF
CSR, which I will probably downgrade to FU in Jan/Feb, though now I'm blocked from CSP until 2019, unless I downgrade to it instead, Ink Preferred is probably better though.
Chase Hyatt
United Business
Ink Preferred
Ink Plus

Also I've had most of the Amex travel cards - DL, SPG, HH and gotten the bonus offers. I have had the Citi AA personal, closed 9/14/16, Citi AA Business closed 9/1/17, and City TY Premeir closed 5/15/16 so it seems I have several months before I can get a new Citi bonus on one of those card families if I understand correctly.

My wife has both Chase SW cards, points, and the companion pass so we are good there, but I wouldn't mind accumulating some more hotel, airline, or general UR/MR bonus points to transfer before the end of the year. Or maybe just go with a Capital One $500 offer and take the cash? I did upgrade to the old Surpass card at end of Oct, but I'm delaying my $3K spend until Jan to it can also count towards the annual $40K Diamond qualification for 2018 - therefore I have minimum spend available to reach one more bonus for all of December, before I go all-in on the Surpass card in 2018 to reach my $40K.

So what should I go for next? I saw the Marriott 120K for $12K but I don't want to meet that spend amount. Is the 80K on $3K the next best offer with AF waived? Does United Personal have any better than normal offers? Anything else good from Citi or elsewhere that I should jump on? AA card offers I would be eligible for? Or anything out there without the "previous bonus received" language?
Old Nov 22, 17, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since the OP is looking at cards from various banks I'm moving this the CCP forum.
Old Nov 22, 17, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 View Post
I have had the Citi AA personal, closed 9/14/16, Citi AA Business closed 9/1/17, and City TY Premeir closed 5/15/16 so it seems I have several months before I can get a new Citi bonus on one of those card families if I understand correctly.
If you go to a Citi branch, you may find a Citi TYP business card there. That shouldn't count your personal TYP card opens/closes, but check the T&Cs (which again you can only find in branch).

Meanwhile, AA has two banks (Citi and Barclay), which are totally independent of each other (so what you opened/close at Citi has no effect on your ability to get a Barclay card). At this point, Barclay seems to offer bonuses as long as you don't have the same card open. See here for the personal and business AA cards from Barclay: (The business card is very new, and so we haven't yet verified whether it shows up on credit reports or not, and thus whether it adds to your 5/24 count or not.)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-60k.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-live-40k.html
Old Nov 22, 17, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Is there a signup bonus on the TYP Business card? I looked on the Citi website and didn't see any bonuses on the personal TY cards.
Old Nov 23, 17, 9:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Is there a signup bonus on the TYP Business card? I looked on the Citi website and didn't see any bonuses on the personal TY cards.

Citi ThankYou® Premier Card

at least that's the one I think I signed up for and got a bonus (don't remember how much). Don't see a signup bonus, maybe call? Or look in sticky referral thread at top of home CCP page.
Old Nov 23, 17, 6:13 pm

depends entirely on what your goal is. special destination, cash back, weekend travel, and what balances you currently have. Lot of citi card personal and biz flyers without 24 month language out there, Barclays personal and biz, etc. IHG card is good too.
Old Nov 25, 17, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a signup bonus on the TYP Business card?
The TYP Business card is not available online. You have to go into a branch not only to apply for it, but to find what, if any, signup bonus your branch offers. It's clear whether all branches have the same signup bonus (limited datapoints suggest they may not). For more, see this thread:

When will Citi offer a ThankYou Business card again?

I looked on the Citi website and didn't see any bonuses on the personal TY cards.
You have to read the specific threads for those cards (start with the wiki and then read the most recent posts). Some of them have signup bonuses only on links available if you PM someone (because when we've posted links publicly they've stopped working sometimes just a day or two afterwards).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...k-90-days.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...000-spend.html
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I went ahead and got the Chase United personal card, 57.5K pts, AF waived. I really didn't want another AF right now after upgrading to surpass and my wife buying both Chase SW cards to get the companion pass.

Oddly, I wasn't auto-approved, instead they called me to take some CL off my Freedom $6K off the $18K line - even though I had just reduced my Hyatt card line from $33K down to $6K.

Why would they give me $33K on the Hyatt card back in July then after I already reduced that by $27K they couldn't give me anything on the United without further reducing another line?
Old Nov 29, 17, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - I went ahead and got the Chase United personal card, 57.5K pts, AF waived. I really didn't want another AF right now after upgrading to surpass and my wife buying both Chase SW cards to get the companion pass.

Oddly, I wasn't auto-approved, instead they called me to take some CL off my Freedom $6K off the $18K line - even though I had just reduced my Hyatt card line from $33K down to $6K.

Why would they give me $33K on the Hyatt card back in July then after I already reduced that by $27K they couldn't give me anything on the United without further reducing another line?
Because you didn't reduce long enough ahead of time. Reducing just before you apply for a new card is too late!

I don't know how long it takes at Chase, but for example at BofA and Citi, credit limit which you pro-actively reduce can take weeks to a few months to be available to new cards. But that's much better than at BofA credit limit which you leave on a card when you cancel it staying "locked up" (and not available to new cards) for over a year after that.

So never assume that just because you "just" reduced the credit limit on another card, that it's available to your next card instantly (or anything close to that).
Old Dec 5, 17, 2:50 pm

What sites or services offer FREE credit card evaluation as to what recommended cards to get next? I already have about 35 active cards.
Old Dec 5, 17, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyertm View Post
What sites or services offer FREE credit card evaluation as to what recommended cards to get next? I already have about 35 active cards.
I doubt there are any besides discussion boards like this. But on any such discussion board, you need to start by explaining why you want more cards (it doesn't really matter how many you have), then explaining what you want from those cards.

There are free sites that have various lists of cards, but each list is different, so it's hard to even recommend one of those lists without more info.
Old Dec 6, 17, 3:47 pm

This isn't mile/reward specific but alliant has a 3% visa signature card for the first year w/o any annual fee. Then it becomes 60 bucks a year I think and 2.5%. That's still a full 1% more than most cashback only cards though, and maybe worth the fee depending on how much spending you do (break even is 6k compared to a 1.5% no fee card).
Old Dec 7, 17, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by resiroth View Post
This isn't mile/reward specific but alliant has a 3% visa signature card for the first year w/o any annual fee. Then it becomes 60 bucks a year I think and 2.5%. That's still a full 1% more than most cashback only cards though, and maybe worth the fee depending on how much spending you do (break even is 6k compared to a 1.5% no fee card).
Given that there's a very famous uncapped 2% cashback card with no annual fee ("earn 1% cash back as you buy, earn another 1% cash back as you pay"), I don't know why you're comparing this only to 1.5% cashback cards. That's so 2015.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 7, 17 at 11:39 am
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta, IHG
I am too looking for the next card. My new apartment allows me to pay rent on Vista or MasterCard without a service charge. I am debating whether to get another card or just invest it all in the Chase UR point program. I fly Delta exclusively so I'm not interested in another airline card.

Have:
Chase Freedom
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Citi Double Cash
US Bank Cash+

I am 3/24 with Chase and can't use Amex or Discover for the rent. I was eyeing the Prestige at one point but it looks like they pulled all the sign-up bonuses.
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:31 am

Which card to apply for next?

Hi All,

I'm debating which card to get next, any advice will be appreciated.
I'm currently at 4/24 and in Aug it will drop to 2/24. My average spend on travel is ~5-7K a month and my primary use is CSR card. I also own a business, therefore business cards are included.

My cards:
- CSR
- MileagePlus
- Jet Blue
- Ink Plus Business Preferred
Closed over 2 years ago:
- Amex gold business and personal.

Do I continue with a chase card to max the 5/24 then move to another issuer? I was thinking about product change to the Ink Plus business preferred and to re-apply for the Ink Plus business preferred a few weeks after as it holds the highest bonus. Thoughts?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: