Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I also started using this card with Samsung Pay. It works everywhere so far, except I was not able to use it at Walmart yet. It was saying that it's trying to authorize the card, but then the card was declined. It works in all other places though. I didn't purchase any gift cards yet. I will probably pay my coworker's rent via Radpad/Plastiq to meet the MSR and not get shutdown (I hope). BTW, Plastiq codes as travel with Visa (I already tested it with CSR). I will most likely cancel this card after a year, as it useless without MS, since I have 3.33% everywhere card without AF, and this is hard to beat.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by milypan
The vast majority of my brick-and-mortar spending is in restaurants, which I already earn 3x pts on with CSR, so I don't care too much about getting extra points for contactless payment.

What I am interested to see is what happens when Android Pay/Samsung Pay integrate with Visa Checkout, likely later this year. Will those payments count as mobile wallet payments? If so this could get interesting. I have no desire to use an Android phone, but if it codes as mobile wallet I'd be willing to buy a cheap Android device just to use at Visa Checkout sites...
Also Paypal integration is coming soon (maybe this month). So it will be possible to pay with Android Pay where Paypal is accepted, which is almost anywhere online.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I also started using this card with Samsung Pay. It works everywhere so far, except I was not able to use it at Walmart yet. It was saying that it's trying to authorize the card, but then the card was declined. It works in all other places though. I didn't purchase any gift cards yet. I will probably pay my coworker's rent via Radpad/Plastiq to meet the MSR and not get shutdown (I hope). BTW, Plastiq codes as travel with Visa (I already tested it with CSR). I will most likely cancel this card after a year, as it useless without MS, since I have 3.33% everywhere card without AF, and this is hard to beat.

just curious what the credit card you are referring to. 3.33% cash back without annual fee is awesome.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
just curious what the credit card you are referring to. 3.33% cash back without annual fee is awesome.
It's grandfathered Priceline 2x/5x card, now available as 1x/5x only. The card also has no foreign transaction fees. It's really great for travel abroad.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:20 pm

It's grandfathered Priceline 2x/5x card, now available as 1x/5x only. The card also has no foreign transaction fees. It's really great for travel abroad.
i didn't even know the card existed.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Debating this card as an addition to the Prestige because of the 3% mobile payments. I use Samsung Pay for nearly everything.

Does anyone know if you don't have enough points to book an entire ticket, whether you can use the credit card for the rest? For the Prestige, you can redeem for airfare paying partially with points and rest on the credit card. In the screenshot I saw a couple of posts back, it just said you didn't have enough points available. That'd be a dealbreaker if you couldn't combine with credit card payment.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by RobotsRock
Debating this card as an addition to the Prestige because of the 3% mobile payments. I use Samsung Pay for nearly everything.

Does anyone know if you don't have enough points to book an entire ticket, whether you can use the credit card for the rest? For the Prestige, you can redeem for airfare paying partially with points and rest on the credit card. In the screenshot I saw a couple of posts back, it just said you didn't have enough points available. That'd be a dealbreaker if you couldn't combine with credit card payment.
Payment Guidelines

When redeeming points for air tickets, the first ticket must be covered in full by redeeming with points before any additional tickets can be purchased. If you do not have enough points for a single or multiple tickets, you have two options:

Option 1- Purchase additional tickets in full by paying for them on your Rewards credit card
Option 2 - Purchase additional points to be used to redeem for the additional tickets by calling 844-357-2015.
Hotel and car reservations must be redeemed in full with points, or can be paid in full by using your Rewards credit card.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by awesomespider
Payment Guidelines

When redeeming points for air tickets, the first ticket must be covered in full by redeeming with points before any additional tickets can be purchased. If you do not have enough points for a single or multiple tickets, you have two options:

Option 1- Purchase additional tickets in full by paying for them on your Rewards credit card
Option 2 - Purchase additional points to be used to redeem for the additional tickets by calling 844-357-2015.
Hotel and car reservations must be redeemed in full with points, or can be paid in full by using your Rewards credit card.
Thanks! That's a dealbreaker indeed...so much for my interest in this card. All my redemptions for airfare are indeed partial payment with points for a major trip.

Last edited by RobotsRock; May 15, 2017 at 7:32 am Reason: typo
Old May 15, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Elite status at local McDonalds, Carwash, and Post Office
I really can't see 3x for mobile payments being sustainable. With so many companies moving to mobile payments, I can see USBank paying out a ton of points.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by CJS415
I really can't see 3x for mobile payments being sustainable. With so many companies moving to mobile payments, I can see USBank paying out a ton of points.
Not saying you're wrong, but I'm sure USBank knows the composition of spending on its cards. Under my current spending patterns, the CSR 3x points on restaurants results in a lot bigger "losses" for Chase than a 3x multiplier on mobile payments would. And, incidentally, restaurants are the least likely context for mobile payments because the custom in the US is that the waiter takes the card to the terminal instead of bringing the terminal to you (like in many European restaurants).

Last edited by milypan; May 15, 2017 at 1:39 pm Reason: clarified language
Old May 15, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I closed my card in October but keep getting emails from us bank about my account periodically. Is it worth a hard pull?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:28 pm

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm sure USBank knows the composition of spending on its cards. Under my current spending patterns, the CSR 3x points on restaurants results in a lot bigger "losses" for Chase than a 3x multiplier on mobile payments would. And, incidentally, restaurants are the least likely to adopt mobile payments because the custom in the US is that the waiter takes the card to the terminal instead of bringing the terminal to you (like in many European restaurants).
I successfully paid in a few restaurants using Samsung Pay. You just need to ask the waiter if you can pay with a phone/watch.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
I successfully paid in a few restaurants using Samsung Pay. You just need to ask the waiter if you can pay with a phone/watch.
Not saying it's not possible, but the question is what fraction of cardholders would actually go through the hassle of doing so. I'm pretty confident the answer is "negligible."
Old May 15, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by awesomespider
Payment Guidelines

Hi awesomespider,

Can you please check if Icelandair shows up on their travel portal ?

MSP - KEF

Thanks.

Last edited by INDFlyer; May 15, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Not saying it's not possible, but the question is what fraction of cardholders would actually go through the hassle of doing so. I'm pretty confident the answer is "negligible."
Yep.

Also, I find that customer facing equipment is still very uncommon in the US and NFC support even more uncommon. I wouldn't be surprised if US Bank can actually keep this going for a while. (For reference, I kept track of my expenses a year ago for 30 days and found that I only used NFC 30% or so of the time. And that was with me making the effort too.) YMMV of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.