Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Annes Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by randian
Sure, I only mention it so it's clear what Publix's historical stance is: adamantly opposed.

I assume data mining is the holdup. Apple Pay doesn't increase their fees, what's their fee concern?
If companies want to data mine, they aren't worth doing business with. If only more people understood that concept.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
If companies want to data mine, they aren't worth doing business with. If only more people understood that concept.
Other than most small merchants, which companies don't data mine?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
San Diego MTS did an update on their new fare card to replace the Compass card. MTS has decided to do away with the Compass branding and go with Pronto. However, this could change, but it seems that Pronto is the ideal brand and would be purple to blend in both MTS and NCTD. NCTD will be migrating over to the new fare system as well, just that they have their own set of quirks that they need to deal with before implementing this new card. Picture ID's will be available in all 3 types of cards (Adult, Youth, SDM). It will take a transition period to get people accustomed to the new system, but I am cautious as some who have Compass cards tend to have special fare cards. Not to mention the Senior citizens who ride the bus as their only form of transportation and might not be able to or know how to use a computer.

The system will be a fare capping based system and not a product based fare system. Later this year, MTS, NCTD and SANDAG are going to have another fare study done to accommodate this new fare card and determine what the fare capping thresholds are going to be. 30 day passes are likely being cut as it will no longer be necessary due to fare capping. Though you can still buy the equivalent value of a 30 day pass up front, but you will just have to keep riding the bus or light rail until it eventually caps out.

Oh and Mid Coast trolley extension will only work with the new fare cards as there will be no compass card equipment at those new stations. MTS wants people to get off the Compass card ASAP once this transition is completed as the old equipment will be turned off.

I really dig the Pronto name as it is quick and easy. Plus you will no longer have to go to an Albertsons/Vons in order to get your card filled as MTS has signed a deal with a vendor to offer this card in over 300 stores. Possibly 400 stores in the county will be selling this card, so just go anywhere to refill it. No special POS equipment will be necessary to load cards as did the Compass card (equipment is no longer made).
https://www.sdmts.com/sites/default/...da_save_as.pdf
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Costco could do the same thing with the Costco Visa card, though; I even remember seeing the member ID embedded in one when I had a chance to use cardpeek on it. Worst case, they could have implemented the same stuff as the keyfob using the digital membership capacity of the Costco app given that there are also barcode scanners on the pumps. It seems like a waste to spend extra money on something that can only be used at the pump.

That said, if people end up preferring the keyfobs over tapping their phones or cards to pay, then so be it.
Would the member ID be visible in a contactless transaction versus a chip-based one? I have no idea, I'm just curious (I'm not a Costco Visa holder). I do think the QR solution with their app isn't great. It takes time to boot your phone, find and open the app, display the QR code, etc. It's slower than a fob and similar to Kroger's stupid "mobile pay" solution.

That said, I wish Costco would do something similar to Walgreens - allow you to add your membership card to the wallet so you can just tap that on the contactless reader, followed by a tap of your desired method of payment.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rv65
San Diego MTS did an update on their new fare card to replace the Compass card. MTS has decided to do away with the Compass branding and go with Pronto. However, this could change, but it seems that Pronto is the ideal brand and would be purple to blend in both MTS and NCTD. NCTD will be migrating over to the new fare system as well, just that they have their own set of quirks that they need to deal with before implementing this new card. Picture ID's will be available in all 3 types of cards (Adult, Youth, SDM). It will take a transition period to get people accustomed to the new system, but I am cautious as some who have Compass cards tend to have special fare cards. Not to mention the Senior citizens who ride the bus as their only form of transportation and might not be able to or know how to use a computer.

The system will be a fare capping based system and not a product based fare system. Later this year, MTS, NCTD and SANDAG are going to have another fare study done to accommodate this new fare card and determine what the fare capping thresholds are going to be. 30 day passes are likely being cut as it will no longer be necessary due to fare capping. Though you can still buy the equivalent value of a 30 day pass up front, but you will just have to keep riding the bus or light rail until it eventually caps out.

Oh and Mid Coast trolley extension will only work with the new fare cards as there will be no compass card equipment at those new stations. MTS wants people to get off the Compass card ASAP once this transition is completed as the old equipment will be turned off.

I really dig the Pronto name as it is quick and easy. Plus you will no longer have to go to an Albertsons/Vons in order to get your card filled as MTS has signed a deal with a vendor to offer this card in over 300 stores. Possibly 400 stores in the county will be selling this card, so just go anywhere to refill it. No special POS equipment will be necessary to load cards as did the Compass card (equipment is no longer made).
https://www.sdmts.com/sites/default/...da_save_as.pdf
Most importantly, rollout is apparently still on time. ^

Anyway, if they go to a fare capping system, will there be any catches for contactless credit/debit card users? (Assuming that functionality gets turned on, of course.) In Portland, for instance, only daily capping works with contactless cards; you need Hop to get weekly capping.

Originally Posted by sullim4
Would the member ID be visible in a contactless transaction versus a chip-based one? I have no idea, I'm just curious (I'm not a Costco Visa holder). I do think the QR solution with their app isn't great. It takes time to boot your phone, find and open the app, display the QR code, etc. It's slower than a fob and similar to Kroger's stupid "mobile pay" solution.

That said, I wish Costco would do something similar to Walgreens - allow you to add your membership card to the wallet so you can just tap that on the contactless reader, followed by a tap of your desired method of payment.
I saw it on both interfaces. However, that's only on the physical card from what I remember; Apple/Google Pay won't show it.

As for the app, I don't think it's too bad if the phone is set up properly. The button to show the membership card appears right on opening the app, so if the app is on a favorites or some other screen that appears immediately on unlock, there won't be much tapping/scrolling to get to it. And if your phone has a fingerprint or face scanner, even better. But yeah, one tap loyalty+payment would definitely be nicer.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Most importantly, rollout is apparently still on time. ^

Anyway, if they go to a fare capping system, will there be any catches for contactless credit/debit card users? (Assuming that functionality gets turned on, of course.) In Portland, for instance, only daily capping works with contactless cards; you need Hop to get weekly capping.

I saw it on both interfaces. However, that's only on the physical card from what I remember; Apple/Google Pay won't show it.

As for the app, I don't think it's too bad if the phone is set up properly. The button to show the membership card appears right on opening the app, so if the app is on a favorites or some other screen that appears immediately on unlock, there won't be much tapping/scrolling to get to it. And if your phone has a fingerprint or face scanner, even better. But yeah, one tap loyalty+payment would definitely be nicer.
Ill be ok with Compass/Pronto or whatever being an Apple Pay card like Hop is!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:02 pm

Not sure if this has come up yet, since it's been hit-or-miss in the past, but my IKEA has replaced all terminals with Ingenico Lane/5000s (previous had Verifone mx915s for the main checkouts and FD130s (I think) for the restaurant and grocery portions.

Apple Pay and Google Pay were supported and advertised in the FD130 areas since this location opened, but never consistently worked right on the mx915s (I think I used it once or twice, and all other times "tap" was missing from the language on the terminals).

Now, they're advertising Apple Pay and Google Pay at the main checkouts and it worked as expected with EMV contactless running (at least on the two Mastercards I used).

@tmiw, am I correct that you weren't/aren't a fan of the Verifone mx915/925s? What are your thoughts on their Ingenico counterparts (either the iSC or Lane models)?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:27 pm

Funny you mention Portland. I havent read the minutes myself but talking to a buddy of mine who follows these things closely, San Diego is buying an off the shelf system. Specifically, Portlands. And the system will support NFC credit/debit cards for those who dont have a Pronto card.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Funny you mention Portland. I haven’t read the minutes myself but talking to a buddy of mine who follows these things closely, San Diego is buying an off the shelf system. Specifically, Portland’s. And the system will support NFC credit/debit cards for those who don’t have a Pronto card.
That is the quickest and best way to get something that is working. Unfortunately Phoenix wants to build a new system entirely from the ground up. The good news is that it is stated that is going to be Open Payments capable from the get go from our Meeting Minutes.

I am just wondering what this costs the city vs. upgrading the existing Compass Card system from Cubic to have Account based....probably a lot of money. New York went with this system. London went with this system. Boston is backing out of this system and going to upgrade their Scheidt and Bachmann system to be account based.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecs0013
@tmiw, am I correct that you weren't/aren't a fan of the Verifone mx915/925s? What are your thoughts on their Ingenico counterparts (either the iSC or Lane models)?
They just seem generally flaky to me (or at the very least, make it a lot easier for merchants to have flaky setups). There seems to be less opportunity for that to happen with Ingenico terminals.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Funny you mention Portland. I havent read the minutes myself but talking to a buddy of mine who follows these things closely, San Diego is buying an off the shelf system. Specifically, Portlands. And the system will support NFC credit/debit cards for those who dont have a Pronto card.
Yep, they went with the same company Portland uses (INIT). However, I heard that open loop wasn't going to be enabled from the start, just Compass/Pronto (but perhaps that changed since they started work on it).

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I am just wondering what this costs the city vs. upgrading the existing Compass Card system from Cubic to have Account based....probably a lot of money. New York went with this system. London went with this system. Boston is backing out of this system and going to upgrade their Scheidt and Bachmann system to be account based.
There was discussion of the various bids in one of the MTS board meetings from a while ago and from what I recall, INIT ended up on the lower end of the range. I also don't think it helped Cubic's case that several other US agencies that tried to go with them ended up with delayed rollouts and various other issues.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
They just seem generally flaky to me (or at the very least, make it a lot easier for merchants to have flaky setups). There seems to be less opportunity for that to happen with Ingenico terminals.

Yep, they went with the same company Portland uses (INIT). However, I heard that open loop wasn't going to be enabled from the start, just Compass/Pronto (but perhaps that changed since they started work on it).

There was discussion of the various bids in one of the MTS board meetings from a while ago and from what I recall, INIT ended up on the lower end of the range. I also don't think it helped Cubic's case that several other US agencies that tried to go with them ended up with delayed rollouts and various other issues.
Is NYC so far the only smooth rollout for cubic ?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by IslesFan
Oyster card in London was a pretty smooth Cubic smart card rollout. Same with the Opal Card in Australia. Compass Card in Vancouver was smooth. TAP card in LA was smooth.

Chicago was a mess. San Diego was a mess.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslesFan
I think it helps that NYC is basically one price per ride for everyone. Some of the others have a fair number of rules/classes of ticket.

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
San Diego was a mess.
Can you explain offhand what happened with Compass? It seems to work well enough now (sans EMV/contactless support at TVMs, of course), anyway, so at least they managed to fix stuff eventually.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:57 am

I think it helps that NYC is basically one price per ride for everyone. Some of the others have a fair number of rules/classes of ticket.

Can you explain offhand what happened with Compass? It seems to work well enough now (sans EMV/contactless support at TVMs, of course), anyway, so at least they managed to fix stuff eventually.
Something about how they couldnt get the stored value feature of the cards to work initially until years later. That caused a bit of saltiness between Cubic and SDMTS.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:25 am

I went to Giant Food Stores again. Tried tapping Discover via Google Pay - terminals screams "CARD NOT ACCEPTED INSERT CHIP". Tried tapping the same card physically: went through no problem. AID prints on receipt. Did another transaction and tapped my Visa credit card in Google Pay: went through fine, AID printed on receipt. AID didn't used to print, so this is new.

Does that mean they turned EMV contactless on? And I wonder what might be causing the issue with Discover via Google Pay but working fine in physical form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.