Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Annes Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Kroger... what type of "customer support on the back end" issues are they talking about I wonder? I have never heard that as a problem with Contactless payments. I think at this point too many Kroger divisions are asking for Contactless payment since all competitors have it so the corporate is having to do something and respond. The interest level from customers is simply too high. I wonder where they will run the pilot in 2020. Perhaps they can go with the Ralphs in Los Osos, CA; the Smiths in Wendover, NV; the Dillons in Arkansas City, KS; the Frys in Globe, AZ, a Fred Meyer Jewelry only store in some mall somewhere to say they tried it at Fred Meyer... I should stop now.
Based on that "no interest pilot" they had in the past, I think you're right...also, in the Reddit thread, someone mentioned Apple Pay linked to Kroger PayI don't live in a Kroger Pay area (not that I'd use it anyway), but I have seen nothing to indicate this is a thing...can anyone confirm/deny?

Additionally, with all the Speedway talk, has anyone been able to use the contactless readers on the pumps (I haven't seen anything posted recently)? I stopped by one today and despite the "Coming Soon" text, the first light was solid, so I tried it and it workedlooks like they're doing EMV contactless, so that may be the delay from hardware being installed to actually making it available.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ecs0013
Additionally, with all the Speedway talk, has anyone been able to use the contactless readers on the pumps (I haven't seen anything posted recently)? I stopped by one today and despite the "Coming Soon" text, the first light was solid, so I tried it and it workedlooks like they're doing EMV contactless, so that may be the delay from hardware being installed to actually making it available.
It didn't work for me yesterday but it might be worth checking again in a few weeks.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got an email from Citi today offering a $10 statement credit if I tap my card 3x at Target, Panera or CVS and spend at least $10 across the three taps. Not sure if it's targeted or if it's an offer anyone can use.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
It didn't work for me yesterday but it might be worth checking again in a few weeks.
Yeah, it was one of the stations with the very large screens on the pumps (not the all-in-one retrofit that some have), but I may start checking a few locations to see if that one was just early or they're rolling it out in some of the older markets.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:43 pm

I haven't been able to get it to work either. There is no response from the terminal. EMV seems to be working great and they accept PIN (not sure if it's online, but offline works for sure). They're using Quick Chip, unlike Kroger.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:50 pm

Hey TMIW, the next time you're at Speedway try using your UNFCU card with only online PIN to see if it will prompt you for one. I believe I tried a debit card and it worked, but it might have gone over the common AID. I don't know if supporting PIN on the common AID means it will also work on the global AID as well.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
I haven't been able to get it to work either. There is no response from the terminal. EMV seems to be working great and they accept PIN (not sure if it's online, but offline works for sure). They're using Quick Chip, unlike Kroger.
I'll throw in that it was one of the on-pump readers where the first light was solid (many have been blinking or out for the whole "coming soon" stretch) and I used an Apple Card via Apple Pay. There was no zip code prompt either.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I'll throw in that it was one of the on-pump readers where the first light was solid (many have been blinking or out for the whole "coming soon" stretch) and I used an Apple Card via Apple Pay. There was no zip code prompt either.
Sounds like the first EMV Contactless gas pump that has been reported in the US. This is a big achievement. Speedway seems to be a very well run organization.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I can report that Contactless is NOT working at Sears as of today.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:25 am

Where was this located?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
Hey TMIW, the next time you're at Speedway try using your UNFCU card with only online PIN to see if it will prompt you for one. I believe I tried a debit card and it worked, but it might have gone over the common AID. I don't know if supporting PIN on the common AID means it will also work on the global AID as well.
Usually online PIN gets supported if debit PIN does but I'll keep that in mind for next time.

BTW, I forget if this amount was mentioned before by anyone but the cryptogram amount from my fillup was $200. This likely means that PIN would be required if tapping at the pump with a card that supports PIN at all (that doesn't set it last on the CVM list).
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Sounds like the first EMV Contactless gas pump that has been reported in the US. This is a big achievement. Speedway seems to be a very well run organization.
The fact that all of them are company-owned (Marathon being the franchised brand) and there seem to be a ridiculous amount in the Midwest (not to mention some of the chains they've acquired and converted) really makes me appreciate that it is a larger undertaking.

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Where was this located?
I happen to be on the south side of Indianapolis, so it was the location in Southport (7211 Madison Ave), but when I went to get some lunch, it turns out that it has some friends that are set up, too - 8955 US 31 N (corner of County Line Rd and US 31, technically Indianapolis) and 1291 N Madison Ave (corner of County Line Rd and Madison, technically Greenwood). The Southport and Indianapolis ones have the same hardware (looks like NCR OPTIC 12): separate NFC panel, large screen, receipts print on wider paper; the Greenwood one is a retrofit I've seen Speedway using on a lot of older pumps (looks like NCR OPTIC 5): which prints on the more traditional receipts and you hold the card or device up to the screen for contactless.

Receipts, hid some specific personal info, but should give an idea for those who want proof. :-). Obviously, you have to buy gas to get a receipt, so checking any other stations would have to wait until my car needs to be filled up again.

NCR OPTIC 12

NCR OPTIC 5
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Southport and Indianapolis ones have the same hardware (looks like NCR OPTIC 12): separate NFC panel, large screen, receipts print on wider paper; the Greenwood one is a retrofit I've seen Speedway using on a lot of older pumps (looks like NCR OPTIC 5): which prints on the more traditional receipts and you hold the card or device up to the screen for contactless.
Looks like the Lakeside, CA one uses NCR OPTIC 12 based on the above photos. I think a separate reader is better for usability in general unless you absolutely make sure that people know you can tap the display (e.g. the stores that let you tap while items are being scanned).

Also, the display when I went only said "insert/scan"--unlike "insert/tap/scan" above--which might be useful for quickly telling which have it enabled at a glance.

Usually online PIN gets supported if debit PIN does but I'll keep that in mind for next time.

BTW, I forget if this amount was mentioned before by anyone but the cryptogram amount from my fillup was $200. This likely means that PIN would be required if tapping at the pump with a card that supports PIN at all (that doesn't set it last on the CVM list).
To update, the La Mesa, CA location is another dual branded Speedway/Shell site with the same two separate POS systems/terminals inside as mentioned before. I did try buying something inside by tapping my UNFCU credit card and got a PIN prompt, so I expect the same to happen at the pump.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I got an email from Citi today offering a $10 statement credit if I tap my card 3x at Target, Panera or CVS and spend at least $10 across the three taps. Not sure if it's targeted or if it's an offer anyone can use.
I've two Citi cards, and I've not seen this email. Then again, neither of my cards are NFC.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:01 pm

Also, the display when I went only said "insert/scan"--unlike "insert/tap/scan" above--which might be useful for quickly telling which have it enabled at a glance.
I'll confirm that it's not everywhere and that's the behavior on a pump that's not set up. A friend was on the other side of Indy filling up and I asked him to check when he got there (he's been a little interested in contactless thanks to Apple Pay), and it was an "insert/scan" station with the OPTIC 5 hardware. Seems like they've got some set up and some still "coming soon" even in the same market.

I'll be curious to hear from folks in Ohio (Speedway's backyard), the old Hess markets, and some of the other more recently-acquired markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.