Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I feel that international users can now just dip the chip. They aren’t considering contactless to be “main” yet.
Depends on the country. I imagine Australians would at least try a couple of times before giving up and just inserting everywhere, for instance.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:04 pm

I recently went to Québec and Vermont. In QC, contactless worked 50/50 for me:
  • Michaels (Vx 820) and Walmart (iSC 250) both have contactless disabled. Transaction speed at Michaels was just as slow as in the US, which I found mildly amusing; I wonder if they fully-integrate in Canada. The terminal UI also differs from what's typical for Vx 820: large black text, with a serif font, on a white background.
  • Tim Hortons (Vx 820) and Dollarama (iPP320) errored out for me with a "not supported" message, but Dollarama worked when I tried again without pre-authing my card (USD Debit Mastercard in Apple Pay). Maybe debit card pre-auth causes problems on terminals without Common AID support (i.e. Canadian terminals).
  • A small restaurant I went to had a older iPP-style terminal (tethered to their POS) with contactless disabled – I suspect it has to do with tipping, as I was only prompted after I inserted my card. I believe the terminal was TD-branded.
Everywhere else, contactless worked flawlessly. Not so much for VT, where just about every independent merchant I went to only supported swipe. (The Avis Budget counter at BTV was also swipe-only.) I found one merchant with a Quick Chip-enabled iCT terminal, but the cashier said "I think our stuff is too old for that" when I tried to use contactless. I didn't press further.

As least card acceptance was good – comparable to DC, even.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I recently went to Québec and Vermont. In QC, contactless worked 50/50 for me
  • Tim Hortons (Vx 820) and Dollarama (iPP320) errored out for me with a "not supported" message, but Dollarama worked when I tried again without pre-authing my card (USD Debit Mastercard in Apple Pay). Maybe debit card pre-auth causes problems on terminals without Common AID support (i.e. Canadian terminals).
  • A small restaurant I went to had a older iPP-style terminal (tethered to their POS) with contactless disabled – I suspect it has to do with tipping, as I was only prompted after I inserted my card. I believe the terminal was TD-branded.
​​​​​​​Not sure what caused your Not Supported error, but could have something to do with application selection.

Was the TD terminal this one by chance? https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/images...ith-PINPad.jpg

If so, then it doesn’t support tap without an external reader.

​​​​​​​
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Depends on the country. I imagine Australians would at least try a couple of times before giving up and just inserting everywhere, for instance.
That's after commenting about how far behind the rest of the world America is first.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
That's after commenting about how far behind the rest of the world America is first.
I feel like that doesn't happen much if at all.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Skymiles
Actually not really, remember we invented the credit card as a whole. I do like how new visitors assume we “always had the chip” now hehehehehehe. What they don’t know won’t hurt them.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

I feel like that doesn't happen much if at all.
I've read on a few boards how Canadians come across the border and are surprised about how we hand off cards and the cashier swipes them in vis-a-vis transactions.

Actually not really, remember we invented the credit card as a whole. I do like how new visitors assume we “always had the chip” now hehehehehehe. What they don’t know won’t hurt them.
My Dad's wife is Australian and complains about how outdated our cards are. She's only one person, but it's probably common.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've read on a few boards how Canadians come across the border and are surprised about how we hand off cards and the cashier swipes them in vis-a-vis transactions.
They're not Australians though. Not to mention that "surprise" doesn't imply that they're complaining about it.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:36 pm

Buffalo Wild Wings now supports Apple and Google Pay http://imgur.com/0Ah9HwT but physical Amex resulted in an error and the iSC250 had to be reset. Freedompay iSC250 and it appears ctls is msd.

Last edited by scibot; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by D582

Not sure what caused your Not Supported error, but could have something to do with application selection.

Was the TD terminal this one by chance? https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/images...ith-PINPad.jpg

If so, then it doesn’t support tap without an external reader.

I suspected that as well. I remember the Common AID showing as primary when I looked at the card with an NFC reader. Maybe Apple Pay receives different information and sends different data when I let the terminal trigger my phone first, compared to pre-authing and then tapping my phone.

What I find weird is that this wasn't a problem for me in BC last year, where I had 100% success at merchants with contactless (including Tims and Dollarama). There is a minor difference in that terminals in QC use French as the primary language whereas those in BC use English first. I don't know how that factors into card processing, but (from my limited knowledge) there would be a slim chance of that causing a payment to fail.

The PIN pad at the restaurant definitely had integrated contactless hardware, just not enabled. I believe it more resembled an iPP 310 than anything else. It was also tied only to the POS and not to a full terminal.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Apr 29, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Buffalo Wild Wings now supports Apple and Google Pay http://imgur.com/0Ah9HwT but physical Amex resulted in an error and the iSC250 had to be reset. Freedompay iSC250 and it appears ctls is msd.
I wonder if it's the same for the table-side tablets?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles

My Dad's wife is Australian and complains about how outdated our cards are. She's only one person, but it's probably common.
Hence why I said new visitors. The handing off thing is happening less and less now thankfully with all the MX915s, 925, and Ingenico Variants.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hence why I said new visitors. The handing off thing is happening less and less now thankfully with all the MX915s, 925, and Ingenico Variants.
One place that surprised me today with its lack of EMV, however, is PF Chang's. I'd have thought they'd have been the first to do it considering their data breach. They do have VX820s next to each of the server stations, however.

The other: Container Store. I'd have thought they'd have done it by now too considering they were a pretty early official Apple Pay supporter.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
One place that surprised me today with its lack of EMV, however, is PF Chang's. I'd have thought they'd have been the first to do it considering their data breach. They do have VX820s next to each of the server stations, however.

The other: Container Store. I'd have thought they'd have done it by now too considering they were a pretty early official Apple Pay supporter.
Does anyone with the Aloha Restaurant POS have EMV yet in the US?

Buffalo Wild Wings was using the Aloha Restaurant POS so unless something changed maybe they are the first one... the one in my area went out of business so I'll never know.

The only Aloha merchant where I've ever seen EMV was Wendys in Canada...
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Does anyone with the Aloha Restaurant POS have EMV yet in the US?

Buffalo Wild Wings was using the Aloha Restaurant POS so unless something changed maybe they are the first one... the one in my area went out of business so I'll never know.

The only Aloha merchant where I've ever seen EMV was Wendys in Canada...
I thought Olive Garden (and most other Ziosk using restaurants) used Aloha? Them and Chili's have had EMV since late last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.