Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
It doesn't make much sense to me. Some of those Clover merchants I've been to prompt you for the tip first on the PIN pad/Clover Mini unit and it makes everything much more streamlined IMO.
Last night I was at a restaurant where the receipt they brought back had checkboxes for 15%, 18%, 20% or "custom". While that's probably based on the post-tax amount (didn't check at the time), I imagine that gets around a lot of the problems of tip adjust--assuming you don't use the "custom" option, that is.

BTW, they supported EMV too. Contactless may have worked if you went to the back where the POS was located, but I suspect one might have to tell them how to run it. Not to mention that this place didn't seem to be a huge fan of cards in general (Visa/MC only, $10 minimum, etc.)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I was able to use Google Pay at Sheetz yesterday. The terminals were customer facing and advertised contactless support.
They use NCR Radiant gas pos with EMV contactless enabled but apparently they are still rolling out contactless so some locations might not work inside yet. Both Kum & Go(EMV ctls) and Circle K(MSD ctls) use that same system as well.

So maybe all Barnes and Noble locations will support ctls from April 24th onwards?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
So maybe all Barnes and Noble locations will support ctls from April 24th onwards?
I wonder why it's not being announced on the main B&N account. (Or maybe it is but I didn't see it; I don't go on Twitter much.)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I wonder why it's not being announced on the main B&N account. (Or maybe it is but I didn't see it; I don't go on Twitter much.)
It hasn't been announced on the main B&N account, but I'd imagine all would be supporting it as they all use the same system?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It hasn't been announced on the main B&N account, but I'd imagine all would be supporting it as they all use the same system?
I was thinking along the lines of it being a test location. If that's the case, though, I'm not even sure they'd have been allowed to post that on Twitter.

On another note, I just came from a 7-Eleven that went back to using iSC350s. They also apparently switched on contactless and switched off EMV. (This is the same one that I recently posted about in the other thread that switched out their gas pumps, so it might be related to that.) I didn't try contactless, though, which might have been a good thing as the software was a bit weird; as an example, it thought my Chase credit card was a debit card and asked for a PIN.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And...declined when I attempted to tap at the above 7-Eleven today. Clerk said that they "only supported Samsung Pay". Oh well, maybe in a couple of months.

Also, I'm not sure Quick Chip per se is the reason why Safeway's having issues with contactless. For instance, I noticed at H-Mart today that they use Toshiba too (just with Index running on the terminals instead of whatever Safeway's using) and haven't heard of any issues there.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
... Clerk said that they "only supported Samsung Pay"...
Another smart one I see...

I've lost a lot of respect for cashiers since contactless became more widespread and the adoption of chip mainly because this should be part of their job knowledge. Not sure why you just walk away and shake your head instead of pointing out the obvious to them.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:54 pm

And...declined when I attempted to tap at the above 7-Eleven today. Clerk said that they "only supported Samsung Pay". Oh well, maybe in a couple of months.

Also, I'm not sure Quick Chip per se is the reason why Safeway's having issues with contactless. For instance, I noticed at H-Mart today that they use Toshiba too (just with Index running on the terminals instead of whatever Safeway's using) and haven't heard of any issues there.
I'm sure it said something like 'contactless not allowed' at that 7-Eleven? That system is much older and has an nfc block on it and it sounds like it will never change as I've seen that same setup a year apart and still no working nfc.

I then asked At Home and they do not accept contactless at all so it really disabled on their Index system. I can also confirm that Barnes And Noble will soon accept contactless at all locations but it could be a staged roll out we will see soon.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Circle K with EMV is terrible. Contactless only worked at one of 4 locations I went to, and even there the clerk had to move me to the second register where she knew it worked.

Also needs zip code for EMV or Contactless under one dollar..
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Another smart one I see...

I've lost a lot of respect for cashiers since contactless became more widespread and the adoption of chip mainly because this should be part of their job knowledge. Not sure why you just walk away and shake your head instead of pointing out the obvious to them.
She's not wrong. I mean, most other 7-Elevens don't have the contactless reader enabled at all and I imagine Samsung Pay in MST mode would have still worked at this location if you held the phone right.

I'm sure it said something like 'contactless not allowed' at that 7-Eleven? That system is much older and has an nfc block on it and it sounds like it will never change as I've seen that same setup a year apart and still no working nfc.
Nope, just "declined". I don't see anything on my iPhone about the decline, however, so I'm not sure if Chase actually declined it or if the POS blocked the transaction.

At least the system didn't think it was a debit card and ask for PIN, unlike with the card swipe afterward.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
She's not wrong. I mean, most other 7-Elevens don't have the contactless reader enabled at all and I imagine Samsung Pay in MST mode would have still worked at this location if you held the phone right.
Yeah but it's not the first time we as a group have seen this, "Sorry, we only take Apple Pay, not Samsung Pay."
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Yeah but it's not the first time we as a group have seen this, "Sorry, we only take Apple Pay, not Samsung Pay."
The store obviously supports NFC in those instances, though, unlike at 7-Eleven (location in question notwithstanding).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Circle K with EMV is terrible. Contactless only worked at one of 4 locations I went to, and even there the clerk had to move me to the second register where she knew it worked.

Also needs zip code for EMV or Contactless under one dollar..
My experiences with unbranded Circle K and contactless was nothing like that. Contactless worked just and did not ask for a zip code for anything but did only run as MSD. Did your receipt show EMV info when you used contactless or not? Could explain the issues with it not working well as when these(NCR Radiant) places turn on EMV contactless then issues can arise.

Last edited by scibot; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:22 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw this at Chase tonight. Getting close? (Didn't work, however.)

Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
My experiences with unbranded Circle K and contactless was nothing like that. Contactless worked just and did not ask for a zip code for anything but did only run as MSD. Did your receipt show EMV info when you used contactless or not? Could explain the issues with it not working well as when these(NCR Radiant) places turn on EMV contactless then issues can arise.
I was only able to use Contactless at one location and it had no EMV information, but it did print "Contactless" among the card information on the bottom of the receipt...

Oh, there was a location where I used EMV that did not ask for the zip code...

All of these were in New Mexico. Same POS equipment NCR/Radiant with MX915s, and all unbranded fuel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.